Automats, elevator operators, and other ideas to mitigate disease spread

Loreni

4 hours ago, Daniel A said:

What could help mitigate that is what they do in the Empire State Building.  Specific elevators skip blocks of floors and only travel to a specific set of floors.  There are enough elevators on the average ship to be able to do this.

People here can't even manage to follow huge red arrows saying "one way" in the grocery store. The elevators would be full of people with no clue the thing didn't stop on their desired deck.

3 hours ago, Bwana Tom said:

Ideas like these will solve the whole problem; they will likely be responsible for eliminating 90 plus percent of the cruisers.

I have to agree that most suggestions I see are things that would head me toward other types of vacations. I seriously worry that when cruising returns it will no longer be something I enjoy.

10 hours ago, Bwana Tom said:

Ideas like these will solve the whole problem; they will likely be responsible for eliminating 90 plus percent of the cruisers. I for one will be looking at other ways to vacation.

Until there is a vaccine or some form of cost effective treatment or treatment drug it would appear cruise lines are really going to have a time of it.  They are designed to cram a large amount of people in a small space and then upsale everything.

I cannot imagine getting on a ship until this all passes.  It just does not seem possible for them to prevent a COVID-19 outbreak if they struggle to prevent Noroviruses on cruise ships.  Having to quarantine a ship too is probably weighing on the cruise lines bottom line.

I think their business model cannot be profitable in the times of COVID-19.  There are those who will take the risk I am sure though.

Edited by PrincessLuver
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Thrak said:

I have to agree that most suggestions I see are things that would head me toward other types of vacations. I seriously worry that when cruising returns it will no longer be something I enjoy.

But the problem is you'll be limited to other types of vacations you can drive to, because flights are still going to be a major problem. Flights aren't so bad now because many of them only have a few dozen passengers. But the airlines can't make money on partially full flights, and passengers understandably want nothing to do with fuller flights. Even if the middle seats remains empty, a 31 to 33 inch seat pitch means your head is 31 to 33 inches away from the head in the seat in front of you and the seat behind you. And some airlines (Southwest) say they aren't going to enforce the face mask policy. Who wants to sit in any row near a person without a mask?

Driving is more reasonable. But you can't get to a Caribbean island next January by driving.

• Like 2