Is it just me that feels weird ?

Jeffrey1950

Hello: Like most people my plans were cancelled for my yearly cruise on the Queen Mary 2. I find myself planning for next year as I am sure a lot of people are. My question is it just me that almost feels like it is wrong in doing so? What I mean is here I am thinking about myself and planning a vacation when there is so much going on in the world right now. People sick, so may deaths and unemployment it almost feels like I want to be ashamed of myself for thinking about "me". On the other hand life has to go on. Does anyone else feel this way? 

Now to put these thoughts on the back burner for now. I would like to know if anyone here has done the round trip from New York to Southampton in the month of June ?  I am rather interested in this sailing that leaves New York on 6/16/2021 My main concern is weather wise I love to sit out on deck and I am concerned that it will be cold. Another thing I love to do is have lunch in the Board Walk Café does weather permit it be opened at this time of the year Transatlantic I know it is hit or miss weather wise but what has your experience been at this time of the year. It is so nice to go there at noon time when they are just opening and get away from everything/everyone and just sit enjoying your lunch.

As always I welcome all your comments and stay safe my friends !!

Edited by Jeffrey1950

Dear Jeffrey1950

We did a Transatlantic back to back July 2018 not June, the weather was sunny, warm but very windy and climbing the last stairs from deck 12  to 13 near the sports centre to the sun deck I was nearly blown down the stairs just managed to catch a railing other wise a nasty injury or worse. Do not remember the Boardwalk café being open. It was a lovely voyage and the day in NY was great though very intense / busy.  

Your initial comment - people dying, furloughed staff, unemployment, and people recovering from Covid 19 the recovery taking a long time - simple economics if you have the money spending on goods or services will help employment, workers pay tax and the economic cycle continues. Maybe it is selfish when problems are occurring to cruise but it is the economic cycle etc. During the lockdown we have bought some articles on line - things broke in the house, needed to be replaced and food, this morning I have booked my car in for a service as yesterday it started waving a spanner at me. If we do not spend then the recession / depression that is predicted maybe worse.

I think the biggest problem we are going to have regarding  cruising / foreign travel is obtaining travel insurance, that will be the game changer, if not obtained I / we will just stay in UK, never travel abroad again and that would be disappointing!  

Best wishes and stay safe.

Derek.   

If I could I would book a crossing or a cruise for next year. Because the Canadian government has two travel advisories with no expiry date, it would invalidate our annual travel insurance plan to even make a booking, let alone take a trip. There is also the concerns about safety and about coverage for issues dealing with the COVID-19.  Our insurance company has made it clear that (unspecified) changes are coming on renewal in September. So I won't be booking anything for quite a while.

We have not done a round trip crossing in the month of June but have taken two eastbound crossings: one in early June and one in late June. Although it was never hot (I prefer cool weather to heat) the weather was fine with very little rain.  On one crossing we sat on our balcony in short-sleeved shirts some days.  As you know the weather is unpredictable, but I don't worry about it.

Since I posted this I have seen the comments by Photo Andy about spending. I agree entirely.

Edited by david,Mississauga

6 hours ago, Photo Andy said:

Dear Jeffrey1950

We did a Transatlantic back to back July 2018 not June, the weather was sunny, warm but very windy and climbing the last stairs from deck 12  to 13 near the sports centre to the sun deck I was nearly blown down the stairs just managed to catch a railing other wise a nasty injury or worse. Do not remember the Boardwalk café being open. It was a lovely voyage and the day in NY was great though very intense / busy.  

Your initial comment - people dying, furloughed staff, unemployment, and people recovering from Covid 19 the recovery taking a long time - simple economics if you have the money spending on goods or services will help employment, workers pay tax and the economic cycle continues. Maybe it is selfish when problems are occurring to cruise but it is the economic cycle etc. During the lockdown we have bought some articles on line - things broke in the house, needed to be replaced and food, this morning I have booked my car in for a service as yesterday it started waving a spanner at me. If we do not spend then the recession / depression that is predicted maybe worse.

I think the biggest problem we are going to have regarding  cruising / foreign travel is obtaining travel insurance, that will be the game changer, if not obtained I / we will just stay in UK, never travel abroad again and that would be disappointing!  

Best wishes and stay safe.

Derek.   

Thank you for your comments and yes you are right money has to be spent to help the economy. Guilty as I know I would feel about booking a trip it is like my friend said life is too short and I do not know what is around the corner for me and she said I should enjoy my life when I can. So feelings or no feelings I intend to be on the QM2 next year...I may not do the trip I had intended on due to your comments about the weather but I shall be on board.

Hi,

I have happily booked for next year. I have discussed this with my therapist(among other things!) and he suggested that it was important in times like these to have future plans for things I love do - like sea travel - in order to deal with the stresses of this terrible time. And you can’t beat some of the offers!😊

• Like 1

I had already booked my westbound Trans Atlantic from Hamburg sailing on 22, July 2021, before I had to cancel the same crossing on 22 July this summer. I canceled before final payment because even if I had gotten Future Cruse Credit for this years crossing, I could not use it to pay for a crossing booked before they offered the credits. 

I intend to be aboard for the Crossing. At my age it might be my last chance, assuming that the rules in place next year allow it. 

We are happily booked for the 12/8/20 BTB transatlantic sailing.   Hoping it will go as planned.   We have had all sorts of weather crossing the Atlantic from Hot weather and glassy seas in the summer to cold weather in September.   We love the QM2 as there is so much to do inside the ship we don’t mind if the weather is bad.   If you won’t be happy unless you can sit in sun by the pool you should go for a Caribbean or Med cruise.

4 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

We are happily booked for the 12/8/20 BTB transatlantic sailing.   Hoping it will go as planned.   We have had all sorts of weather crossing the Atlantic from Hot weather and glassy seas in the summer to cold weather in September.   We love the QM2 as there is so much to do inside the ship we don’t mind if the weather is bad.   If you won’t be happy unless you can sit in sun by the pool you should go for a Caribbean or Med cruise.

I have done the Caribbean cruise from New York a few times and it is one of my favorites. However, the dates in 2021 are not good for me because of the Holidays. I am not one for sitting by the pool I love just laying on a deck chair relaxing. Thanks for you input about the weather like I have said I guess it is hit or miss. I have sailed several times Transatlantic but that was years ago and really do not remember too much about the weather. 

On 5/20/2020 at 4:50 AM, Jeffrey1950 said:

Hello: Like most people my plans were cancelled for my yearly cruise on the Queen Mary 2. I find myself planning for next year as I am sure a lot of people are. My question is it just me that almost feels like it is wrong in doing so? What I mean is here I am thinking about myself and planning a vacation when there is so much going on in the world right now. People sick, so may deaths and unemployment it almost feels like I want to be ashamed of myself for thinking about "me". On the other hand life has to go on. Does anyone else feel this way? 

Now to put these thoughts on the back burner for now. I would like to know if anyone here has done the round trip from New York to Southampton in the month of June ?  I am rather interested in this sailing that leaves New York on 6/16/2021 My main concern is weather wise I love to sit out on deck and I am concerned that it will be cold. Another thing I love to do is have lunch in the Board Walk Café does weather permit it be opened at this time of the year Transatlantic I know it is hit or miss weather wise but what has your experience been at this time of the year. It is so nice to go there at noon time when they are just opening and get away from everything/everyone and just sit enjoying your lunch.

I did August last year and the Boardwalk was only open once.

There is a lot more sitting out on deck in an eastbound crossing as the ship is significantly less windy, often very calm.

we are still booked for the carib x mass 12/20 cruise although we do not know if cunard will cancel it we may go. i have no guilt or weird feelings over it ,i just wonder if it will be safe health wise and if the usual service will be greatly different 

5 hours ago, newjoisey said:

we are still booked for the carib x mass 12/20 cruise although we do not know if cunard will cancel it we may go. i have no guilt or weird feelings over it ,i just wonder if it will be safe health wise and if the usual service will be greatly different 

I wish I could do one of those trips but because of the holidays I cannot I have many fond memories of cruises to the Caribbean on the QM2. By the way I am also in N.J  (Bergen County ).

On 5/19/2020 at 11:50 PM, Jeffrey1950 said:

Can't help you with the weather in June on a TA but as to booking and gult. I had booked a ten day  resort vacation in NH before the 9/11 towers came down and wondered if such a trip was acceptable just a week after the event. After discussing it with a few people I decided to go. The resort was quite empty (made it great for using all of the facilities and the dining room service was top notch). We all have to do what is right for us. There may still be those that wish to continue the lock downs well into the 2020's and the media is certainly encouraging that but pay those folks no attention. If the ship sails rest assured that Cunard will have done everything humanly possible to make it a safe and enjoyable voyage.

I must I found your post laughable and shocking in a good sense.  I was really surprised to see it among all the "I want my refund now" and "how do I get a charge back on my credit card" threads.

I think your business would be very much appreciated but would add a couple of words of caution.  I think cruising well not be allowed to resume until it is beyond safe so you should  not be concerned about that.

I think you should get mostly good weather on a June transatlantic but of course weather is always unpredictable.  However, I have almost never seen the Boardwalk Cafe open on a transatlantic so you should not get your heart set on that.  I don't think you're likely to see it open on a TA most of the rest of the year either.

The other thing is I don't think cruising will be the same as it was in 2019 for a long time.  It's really too early to predict what changes there  will be (both for a transition and permanently) but life at home will not be the same either so I doubt if I'll ever say I won't go back until it's like it was in the old days.

Roy

36 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I must I found your post laughable and shocking in a good sense.  I was really surprised to see it among all the "I want my refund now" and "how do I get a charge back on my credit card" threads.

I think your business would be very much appreciated but would add a couple of words of caution.  I think cruising well not be allowed to resume until it is beyond safe so you should  not be concerned about that.

I think you should get mostly good weather on a June transatlantic but of course weather is always unpredictable.  However, I have almost never seen the Boardwalk Cafe open on a transatlantic so you should not get your heart set on that.  I don't think you're likely to see it open on a TA most of the rest of the year either.

The other thing is I don't think cruising will be the same as it was in 2019 for a long time.  It's really too early to predict what changes there  will be (both for a transition and permanently) but life at home will not be the same either so I doubt if I'll ever say I won't go back until it's like it was in the old days.

Roy

Laughable and shocking in a good sense  ???? Am I missing something in your comment?

8 minutes ago, Jeffrey1950 said:

Laughable and shocking in a good sense  ???? Am I missing something in your comment?

Just totally unexpected considering the tone of most of cruise critic.  Thinking about others instead of ME! ME! ME!.

I guess Cunard is a bit different since Host Hattie combines most of those threads so it isn't all bad news here.  I spend the majority of my time on other forums Crystal, HAL, and RCI primarily) and page 1 of the thread listings is mostly complaints like that.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Just totally unexpected considering the tone of most of cruise critic.  Thinking about others instead of ME! ME! ME!.

I guess Cunard is a bit different since Host Hattie combines most of those threads so it isn't all bad news here.  I spend the majority of my time on other forums Crystal, HAL, and RCI primarily) and page 1 of the thread listings is mostly complaints like that.

Roy

Thank you for explaining that. Now I take it as a compliment. I have always put others before myself when I can and sometimes it gets me a kick you know where. Sadly someone told me many years ago that kindness nowadays is often taken as a form of weakness. But old habit are hard to change sometimes.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I think you are quite right.  I found a useful Youtube post by Gary Bembridge which addressed some of my own thoughts and concerns.  The state of the virus in the places one wants to go to, whether there will be second and third waves, what the industry will look like in a year's time, what sailings they will even have compared to what is currently offered on their website, how it will feel to be on a ship where distancing is needed, and of course what changes to pricing will happen.  It's a good head's up.

• Thanks 1

Yes, I also feel weird. I know it will be impossible to take a safe/normal cruise until there is a cure/vaccine for this virus however I find myself daydreaming about places to go and ships to go on. I find myself thinking very very bad things about Cunard because they still have my $10k and then recall the stuff I have experienced here in NYC during the past ten weeks and feel very lucky to be alive and well.

• Like 1

Yah-it’s all weird-but I say plan for the future - none of us knows what’s coming - so what the h.... I’m booked for QM2 in January and QV coming home. Frankly my real concern is the flight from Ft. Lauderdale NOT my time on shipboard on the Atlantic.  As my late mother used to say, ‘If you’re born to hang you’ll never drown!’. So plan and hope and stay connected with family and friends, and give thanks for the time you are given.😊

• Like 1

We did a June B2B (My now husband proposed as we sailed away 😊) The weather was OK but not brilliant. I've had warmer weather on an October crossing! The Atlantic is that unpredictable.  That said there were a couple of days nice enough to open the Boardwalk cafe and that was the first (only) time we've known that on a TA.

With regard to the other part of your question we all can only live our individual lives and as an individual its not within your remit to solve all the problems. While you can perhaps feel guilt over the amount of pollution and waste your chosen cruise might generate people have been dying, unemployed, and in distress for every day of your life and will be long after we're gone. Given none of us know what tomorrow will bring do what brings you joy and be kind to those who cross your, path thats the best anyone can do 🙂

On 5/23/2020 at 7:48 AM, hypercafe said:

Yes, I also feel weird. I know it will be impossible to take a safe/normal cruise until there is a cure/vaccine for this virus however I find myself daydreaming about places to go and ships to go on. I find myself thinking very very bad things about Cunard because they still have my $10k and then recall the stuff I have experienced here in NYC during the past ten weeks and feel very lucky to be alive and well.

I can relate to your daydreaming- I always say half the enjoyment is in the planning. I spoke to my family about my wanting to go on this crossing and my son said stop thinking about everyone else and take care of yourself. In fact I will be 70 next month and still have a very hectic job which I return to tomorrow and my son wants me to sell my home buy one closer to him and retire and spend more time cruising. He said to stop thinking about him and what I can leave him and spend it on myself and enjoy my retirement. So it is official in my mind providing no health issues creep up on me that I will be doing this crossing next year if there is such a crossing the way things are. The next problem will be how do you plan for clothing when the weather is so unpredictable......I am sure there will be many more questions in the future..

I can't help you your proposed cruise, but know how you feel about weird. I like to cruise a few times a year, have had 3 cancelled but so far booked one for March 2021 by transferring deposit from one of my cancelled Princess cruise. 

I initially just didn't think too much about it but with all the non cruise people saying "how could you think of cruising?" it does get to you. I am still going to keep looking though and why I am here on the Cunard group as I am looking at my first Cunard cruise from Sydney to Singapore to meet up with a booked Princess cruise in March.

I have always been a positive person so decided I am going to keep researching as we just never know.

The good thing to come out of Covid 19 for me personally is that many around me know understand the need to take precautions for others - I am immune compromised and lived with it for years yet people just never understood why I was so careful about all the things, they now do. In many ways my life may be better - but still want to cruise.

It does and is going to continue to feel weird not seeing the Cruise Ships entering and departing the NY Harbor and going under the VZ Bridge each weekend and some during the week.

We do hear Cargo and Freighters on foggy nights with the Fog Horn blaring with that certain sound.

Brings to mind when we are on the QM2 and the one full day of fog on a NE/CAN sailing the Horn blaring approx. every 30 seconds. While not able to look thru the Thick Fog so close to the ship.

11 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

It does and is going to continue to feel weird not seeing the Cruise Ships entering and departing the NY Harbor and going under the VZ Bridge each weekend and some during the week.

We do hear Cargo and Freighters on foggy nights with the Fog Horn blaring with that certain sound.

Brings to mind when we are on the QM2 and the one full day of fog on a NE/CAN sailing the Horn blaring approx. every 30 seconds. While not able to look thru the Thick Fog so close to the ship.

I used to always watch the ships on the webcams coming in and going out of New York but to me there is no finer sight than that of being driven into Brooklyn and seeing the QM2 sitting there waiting for us.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1