Praise and best wishes for crew members

The media was full today with stories about crew members stranded aboard ships.  I have limitless appreciation for the work the crew has always done to take care of us on cruises.  I’m very disappointed with Royal and all the cruise lines for not doing enough to get people home.  The pandemic is challenging enough but I can’t imagine how difficult it’d be if you’re restricted to a crew cabin for most days.  Hopefully, more will be done to help those still stranded.

• Like 1

Do you have equal appreciation for all the americans the state dept was trying to get home? Many still not home. The state dept required them to sign a open note loan if they wanted to be gotten home. Some said no thanks, I cant pay of thousands of dollars in loans and are still stuck aboard.

Lots of sad stories. I think you can google how many americans stuck abroad when borders closed quite suddenly. And they arent getting fed and housed. Doom and gloom, doom and gloom some feed on it

4 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Do you have equal appreciation for all the americans the state dept was trying to get home? Many still not home. The state dept required them to sign a open note loan if they wanted to be gotten home. Some said no thanks, I cant pay of thousands of dollars in loans and are still stuck aboard.

Lots of sad stories. I think you can google how many americans stuck abroad when borders closed quite suddenly. And they arent getting fed and housed. Doom and gloom, doom and gloom some feed on it

I feel for anyone who is stuck away from their home.  Especially those who had no choice and were unable to go home such as those employed on cruise ships.  The difference you cite is that those people could have gotten home with a government loan - if they chose it.  Most workers on cruise ships, including Americans, had no such option.  Sorry, not doom and gloom, just reality.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, irzero said:

Isnt this just a useless platitude given this is a customer site. A bit of virtue signalling to show everyone else how concerned you are and how much you care...

Except only fellow passenger guests will ever read it and even if crew did read it what would they do with it?

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Aren't you a ball of sunshine.  To answer your question, no, not a platitude more an observance of the vicissitude of the current situation.  Reality is that there are nearly 100k people stranded on ships, most of whom don't want to be there.  At present, in the "first world" the pandemic has at best flat-lined.  With a laxity of behaviour in major cities from people who don't believe there is an issue, there is a likelihood there may be another spike.  Reality is, that this thing is far from done.  Over the years, we've made friends with many people on board both fellow passenger and crew members.  My post reflected my belief/opinion RCI (and other lines) could do more to get these people (crew) home.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Airbear232 said:

I feel for anyone who is stuck away from their home.  Especially those who had no choice and were unable to go home such as those employed on cruise ships.  The difference you cite is that those people could have gotten home with a government loan - if they chose it.  Most workers on cruise ships, including Americans, had no such option.  Sorry, not doom and gloom, just reality.

The americans I saw interviewed in india were poor, they had no way of paying back such a loan. Treated as lepers by the community. So you dont feel equally for them. I personally think get americans home first, not just worry about others. No one asked for this.

Media wants to make cruiselines look bad. Some crew cant get home until borders are open. At least they have meals and a bed unlike the americans you dont feel empathy for. Dont fall for media hype so easily.  If you dont feel equally bad for all who got stuck you maybe read too many ambulance chaser so call stories.

Some crew also needs to stay onboard to man the ships. 

Edited by firefly333

14 hours ago, Airbear232 said:

The media was full today with stories about crew members stranded aboard ships.  I have limitless appreciation for the work the crew has always done to take care of us on cruises.  I’m very disappointed with Royal and all the cruise lines for not doing enough to get people home.  The pandemic is challenging enough but I can’t imagine how difficult it’d be if you’re restricted to a crew cabin for most days.  Hopefully, more will be done to help those still stranded.

The cruise lines are trying everything possible to get their crew home. They had chartered flights ready to fly them back home. It is the United States of America that has imposed unachievable requirements to allow crew members off the ships and to their flights home. Canada is just as much as at fault by closing their ports to cruise ships. Maybe Canada can change their position about cruise ship and volunteer to be the repatriation point for crew members. 

Edited by BirdTravels

3 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

The cruise lines are trying everything possible to get their crew home. They had chartered flights ready to fly them back home. It is the United States of America that has imposed unachievable requirements to allow crew members off the ships and to their flights home. Canada is just as much as at fault by closing their ports to cruise ships. Maybe Canada can change their position about cruise ship and volunteer to be the repatriation point for crew members. 

Who is to say if crew disembarked on their own, that maybe, they wouldn’t have gone to the airport?

How would you suggest the US manage this?

8 hours ago, Airbear232 said:

Exactly!  Hard to feel the same level of sympathy for Americans who will not pay for their trip home.  Would they have expected someone else to pay for their trip if there wasn't a pandemic?

4 hours ago, firefly333 said:

The americans I saw interviewed in india were poor, they had no way of paying back such a loan. Treated as lepers by the community. So you dont feel equally for them. I personally think get americans home first, not just worry about others. No one asked for this.

Media wants to make cruiselines look bad. Some crew cant get home until borders are open. At least they have meals and a bed unlike the americans you dont feel empathy for. Dont fall for media hype so easily.  If you dont feel equally bad for all who got stuck you maybe read too many ambulance chaser so call stories.

Some crew also needs to stay onboard to man the ships. 

I feel empathy for anyone who is stranded.  I would say maybe a little less for people who left on a trip when the pandemic was already known.  Also, governments have provided options for people who were stranded (-$3000 from India).  To stay in a foreign country still costs you money.  They at least had an option.  The crew didn’t (and that includes US crew).  In terms of American first, I don’t subscribe to that.  They are all people with families.  One of the problems now is too much selfishness rather than selflessness in dealing with major problems.

• Like 1