Scooters on board a cruise ship

Pawkat

• 3 weeks later...

There seems to be a common denominator with the scooters parked in the hallway, and that they seem to be mostly rented scooters probably used by people who rent for just the cruise and don't use them at home.  That's what I've found when talking to the rental scooter users.  They are also pretty much the ones who are reckless with the scooters because they aren't used to using them. I've been a full  time scooter user for 11 years now, and I see a lot of these things by people who only rent for a cruise. 

• Like 1

On 9/4/2020 at 7:17 PM, kitty9 said:

There seems to be a common denominator with the scooters parked in the hallway, and that they seem to be mostly rented scooters probably used by people who rent for just the cruise and don't use them at home.  That's what I've found when talking to the rental scooter users.  They are also pretty much the ones who are reckless with the scooters because they aren't used to using them. I've been a full  time scooter user for 11 years now, and I see a lot of these things by people who only rent for a cruise. 

Why would people rent scooters only for a cruise, and not use them at home or otherwise?

Edited by KroozNut

22 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

Why would people rent scooters only for a cruise, and not use them at home or otherwise?

My husband rents a scooter for cruises only.  He doesn't have one at home; he uses his walker or if it's a longer distance outside I push him in his wheelchair.   He has rented scooters for cruises many, many times as we cruise several times a year (or we used to, anyway...).   

If he didn't have a scooter for a cruise, he would either have to have me push him in his wheelchair (which is actually a transport chair) or stay in the room.   He cannot walk very far with a walker.   Cruises ships are huge, not to mention some of the docks at the ports and even the ports themselves.  Cruising with a scooter has brought him so much freedom that he's a different person on the scooter.   He can't wait to get on the ship to get his scooter so he can be independent.  

Yes, the first time he rented a scooter he was in "training mode" to get the hang of everything - its speed, turning and stopping ranges.  But after a short time he has become very good at operating it.  

A couple of things he's learned with a scooter on the ship: 

-People walking right in front of him on a moving scooter totally oblivious. 

-People running to and entering an open elevator when he has been waiting and waiting for it to arrive.

All in all, though, most people are very aware of and courteous to anyone with obvious mobility issues, including people with scooters, walkers and canes.   

• Like 1

It aggravates me to no end when some jumps in front of a wheelchair or scooter trying to get into the elevator.  Sad to say, I have gotten pretty aggressive of making sure we get on when is out turn.  I don't run over people, but I will definitely block the door, and if people go around us to get ahead of us, I have been known to move far enough into the elevator to stop the door and then wait till they make room.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, misguy said:

It aggravates me to no end when some jumps in front of a wheelchair or scooter trying to get into the elevator.  Sad to say, I have gotten pretty aggressive of making sure we get on when is out turn.  I don't run over people, but I will definitely block the door, and if people go around us to get ahead of us, I have been known to move far enough into the elevator to stop the door and then wait till they make room.  

All I have to say is.. 😲

3 hours ago, misguy said:

Sad to say, I have gotten pretty aggressive of making sure we get on when is out turn.  I don't run over people, but I will definitely block the door, and if people go around us to get ahead of us, I have been known to move far enough into the elevator to stop the door and then wait till they make room.  

this is exactly the kind of behavior that gives scooter users a bad name.  Deliberately blocking the door and demanding to be let on is a good way to get yourself shoved backwards and told to mind your manners.  I agree that people shouldn't try to force their way around scooters.  

But it if I have been patiently waiting our turn, and then people push past and around us so that we can't get on, how is it my bad manners to object and take action to get on.  I have had that happen multiple times in a row.  If I don't take action we would still be onboard waiting for an elevator.  

• Like 2

21 hours ago, KroozNut said:

You would be surprised how many people do this, and as a scooter user myself, I get into conversations with other users all the time.  We ask each other lots of questions about our experiences using scooters on ships and on shore.  Some rent them for the convenience of not having to walk a large ship.  Some rent because they use rollators at home but are afraid of the ship's movement. Some like the independence it gives instead of using a wheelchair like they do at home. Some had recent surgery and rent a scooter for that reason.  So, as you can see, there are a lot of reasons people rent scooters with little or no experience. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, crazyank said:

this is exactly the kind of behavior that gives scooter users a bad name.  Deliberately blocking the door and demanding to be let on is a good way to get yourself shoved backwards and told to mind your manners.  I agree that people shouldn't try to force their way around scooters.  

I think what it meant is when a scooter has been waiting and waiting for an elevator and then the one in front of the scooter, or right next to it opens, we have experienced many times where other people will rush over and try to barge on ahead of the scooter.

When an elevator opens in front of us after patiently waiting, I board the elevator and stand in front of the door to hold it open (and saying to people who still try to get on to please wait a moment while the scooter gets on the elevator); this allows my husband on his scooter to board.   Most of the elevators have enough room not only for the scooter, but several people to stand around it and in the back.   

We do not arrive at the crowded elevators expecting to be given special permission to board before all others who have been waiting.

We have also had some very kind passengers holding the elevator door for us, telling us to come over to it, and telling others that the man on the scooter has been waiting a long time for an elevator and to please wait a moment while letting him on.  

Now on days where the elevators are not crowded, getting on one is not a problem.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kitty9 said:

Some rent them for the convenience of not having to walk a large ship. 

This is the only reason you listed that I have a problem with. 'Convenience of not having to walk a large ship'? This equates to sheer laziness IMHO..😏

• Like 3

On 9/8/2020 at 1:20 PM, misguy said:

But it if I have been patiently waiting our turn, and then people push past and around us so that we can't get on, how is it my bad manners to object and take action to get on.  I have had that happen multiple times in a row.  If I don't take action we would still be onboard waiting for an elevator.  

I understand your situation.  But,  after having a family member seriously injured, paying several thousand dollars in medical expenses and going thru months of physical therapy in order to walk normally again,  all caused by a very aggressive and completely careless scooter driver, we will no longer tolerate aggressive behavior by any scooter driver or powered wheelchair user.

38 minutes ago, crazyank said:

I understand your situation.  But,  after having a family member seriously injured, paying several thousand dollars in medical expenses and going thru months of physical therapy in order to walk normally again,  all caused by a very aggressive and completely careless scooter driver, we will no longer tolerate aggressive behavior by any scooter driver or powered wheelchair user.

And what of aggressive behaviour by those on their feet against scooter or wheelchair users???

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

And what of aggressive behaviour by those on their feet against scooter or wheelchair users???

Not my problem.  we are very careful around scooters and wheelchairs.   Having been temporarily confined to a wheelchair after an injury I'm well aware of the difficulties involved.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Many of the people that rent scooters are not disabled. They are seniors or someone that has physical limitations, but not to the extent of being classified as disabled. I certainly understand their use of a scooter and think it is great that they can benefit from using one. However, I do feel that they should not reserve HC cabins. If one cruises a lot, it is definitely more economincal to purchase a scooter.

Some of the cruise lines are now offering to take scooters at night, charge them and return in the morning. Being stuck in a standard cabin, I became aware of this procedure. Regardless, I could not benefit due to the fact than in the event of an emergency, I would require my scooter. And yes, I am disabled.

In regards to elevators, get on when you can regardless of what direction it is going. You will eventually get to the correct floor.

In regards to the rude individuals that sneak in ahead of us entering the elevator, I actually had a long legged man step over me to get in ahead. The only reason I stopped is because I did not want him in my lap. But if it happens again, I may not be that polite.

The one time I was accused of running to a gentleman, he even admitted that he ran into me. Regardless, his wife still blamed me. The guy apologized and I continued on my way. Really doubt that many of the able bodied actually intend to display something considered aggressive behaviour. Most seem to be apologetic and a bit embarrassed if they caused a mishap.

Have not been on RCCL recently, however their releasing the cruisers on mobility devices a couple minutes before the mobs during muster has helped a little bit. Wish that the other cruise lines would follow suit.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

20 hours ago, raindropsalways said:

Many of the people that rent scooters are not disabled. They are seniors or someone that has physical limitations, but not to the extent of being classified as disabled. I certainly understand their use of a scooter and think it is great that they can benefit from using one. However, I do feel that they should not reserve HC cabins. If one cruises a lot, it is definitely more economincal to purchase a scooter.

Some of the cruise lines are now offering to take scooters at night, charge them and return in the morning. Being stuck in a standard cabin, I became aware of this procedure. Regardless, I could not benefit due to the fact than in the event of an emergency, I would require my scooter. And yes, I am disabled.

In regards to elevators, get on when you can regardless of what direction it is going. You will eventually get to the correct floor.

In regards to the rude individuals that sneak in ahead of us entering the elevator, I actually had a long legged man step over me to get in ahead. The only reason I stopped is because I did not want him in my lap. But if it happens again, I may not be that polite.

The one time I was accused of running to a gentleman, he even admitted that he ran into me. Regardless, his wife still blamed me. The guy apologized and I continued on my way. Really doubt that many of the able bodied actually intend to display something considered aggressive behaviour. Most seem to be apologetic and a bit embarrassed if they caused a mishap.

Have not been on RCCL recently, however their releasing the cruisers on mobility devices a couple minutes before the mobs during muster has helped a little bit. Wish that the other cruise lines would follow suit.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

One problem is that there are very few lines that will store and charge your scooter and most standard cabins won’t fit most scooters through the door.

15 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

One problem is that there are very few lines that will store and charge your scooter and most standard cabins won’t fit most scooters through the door.

Unless the person has a very small scooter they can fit in a non-accessible room they may be in trouble.  If this is the case, double-check with the cruise line's Accessible Department to see if they offer any options.  

We always book an accessible room way ahead of time to be sure one is available.    

I know that Princess cruises are offering to charge scooters during the night and have heard that other lines are also doing so. But I'm not positive which other lines. Both Princess and Hal are part of Carnival, so it may be Hal and Carnival that are also offering to charge scooters, or some of the other lines.

Also, I thought some of the airlines had restrictions on scooters. Of course for those that drive to and from, that is not something they have to take into consideration.

I am aware that the large scooters may not fit through some doors, but really see very few large scooters on cruises. Actually, I can recall of seeing only a couple large scooters out the 60+ cruises I've been on.

A width that some may have not ever taken into consideration is the “arms” on a scooter. Personally, I do not like the arms, thus had them removed. I am not positive, but I do believe that the arms may the widest point on some scooters.

On one cruise I spoke with a person that told me they used a large scooter at home and a small one strictly for travel for practical reasons. That person was disabled.

Regardless, I feel that the handicap should have first opportunity at the HC cabins. If there are some available at the 90 day point, put them into general bookings. Then, if an able bodied booked an HC cabin, it would be more understandable. One can ask for a specific cabin by number even after all cabins go into general bookings. At least Celebrity would check, do not know about the other lines.

Currently, I'm considering a cruise (September 2021). Just waiting for response from the gal I would be sailing with. In my opinion, the deposit is considerably higher than what I have experienced over the past 20 years (approx. 37%). To me, it really does not make much difference as long as it is 100% refundable.

Betty

Edited by raindropsalways

6 hours ago, raindropsalways said:

I am aware that the large scooters may not fit through some doors, but really see very few large scooters on cruises. Actually, I can recall of seeing only a couple large scooters out the 60+ cruises I've been on.

We were on a cruise a couple of years ago and this one guy had a huge  scooter.   It looked like a Harley Davidson motorcycle.    We talked to him a few times (it was hard to not see him all the time - haha) and he did acknowledge that his scooter was way too big and that he would never bring it on a cruise again, opting for a smaller scooter next time while traveling.   

Attached is a similar photo of one of these large scooters.

51vukJVSTfL._AC_.jpg

I have seen a lot of those huge, four wheeled scooters on ships. On one of my most recent cruises, I counted six of them lined up along the wall outside the restaurant.  And this was on an Oceania ship, which are not large ships by any means. 

On 9/29/2020 at 6:40 PM, kokopelli-az said:

We were on a cruise a couple of years ago and this one guy had a huge  scooter.   It looked like a Harley Davidson motorcycle.    We talked to him a few times (it was hard to not see him all the time - haha) and he did acknowledge that his scooter was way too big and that he would never bring it on a cruise again, opting for a smaller scooter next time while traveling.   

Attached is a similar photo of one of these large scooters.

51vukJVSTfL._AC_.jpg

This is very similar to the one that ran over my wife. 

7 hours ago, crazyank said:

This is very similar to the one that ran over my wife. 

I was run down with one in the buffet.  I had a tray full of food and the driver would not/could not stop after hitting me.

I yelled for him to stop repeatedly and he just kept on plowing into me.  He was making a high speed U turn among all those people and drove right into me without even looking where he was going.  His actions drew quite a crowd and much attention from the other diners.  After he finally got stopped, he took off without saying a single word.  No apology, or offer to help, etc.

My guess is that he was unfamiliar with the scooter and did not know how to operate it safely.  SO...Why don't cruise lines require a brief driver's test before allowing scooters (particularly rentals) on board?

I do use a scooter for long distance and would not be offended at a 'brief skills' test prior to boarding.

It's analogous to turning a 16 year old loose with a Ferrari to see what he can do.  Not very wise, particularly for unskilled drivers.

I think the driving classes for these huge mobility scooters would probably be at the Dept of Motor Vehicles.  haha

I have never seen one of the huge ones for rent so I am thinking the people who have these actually use them at home, too (but maybe not IN the home...).   So they should have experience driving them.  It's probably just too crowded on a cruise for these drivers to maneuver their equipment like they are used to doing at home.