2 metre rule changing to 1 metre rule? Good news?

Harry Peterson

3 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

I think a big problem is the fact that many schools just don't have the space or staff to open up to all pupils while there is any level of social distancing measures in place. Our 1 form entry primary school is using every classroom plus the hall and every staff member (minus a couple who are shielding and taking on the online teaching instead) just to teach the key worker's children and the Year R, 1 & 6 groups that have been allowed back. The playgrounds have markings on to allow those bubbles to play in a good sized space without getting too close, start, finish and lunch times are staggered. The team are doing a great job for the children in school and those at home, but there just isn't the space to allow more back, in our setting at least.

There was an interview on the TV with a head teacher about this. his school layout meant 10 pupils per classroom at 2 metre spacing. He said at 1 metre that would increase to 13 pupils per classroom!.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, davecttr said:

There was an interview on the TV with a head teacher about this. his school layout meant 10 pupils per classroom at 2 metre spacing. He said at 1 metre that would increase to 13 pupils per classroom!.

Yes and the average number in a class is usually around 30 children. We have bubbles of up to 15 but have no spare classrooms left to use for more children. It's not just classrooms that are an issue either, there's the corridors, which aren't wide enough for passing at even 1 metre apart, lunch facilities and bathrooms, the list goes on...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scratchrat said:

I'm travelling same day for Southampton from Cardiff. Just leave nice and early, the ship doesn't sail til evening.

We generally travel same day, but we only live just over an hour away. Sometimes we have a couple of days in the New Forest, or if it's a Sunday and a Gran Prix is on we have lunch in a pub with a  Telly😁

24 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

Yes and the average number in a class is usually around 30 children. We have bubbles of up to 15 but have no spare classrooms left to use for more children. It's not just classrooms that are an issue either, there's the corridors, which aren't wide enough for passing at even 1 metre apart, lunch facilities and bathrooms, the list goes on...

until everything is back to normal and the social distancing is removed I don’t think it will be possible to do at all

• Like 2

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

You dont think that maybe an open hairdressers would attract customers from other areas that might not be covid free?

I will walk 500 miles. Not quite but I would sure drive a few towns.

36 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Did he teach maths?

5 hours ago, SarahHben said:

I think a big problem is the fact that many schools just don't have the space or staff to open up to all pupils while there is any level of social distancing measures in place. Our 1 form entry primary school is using every classroom plus the hall and every staff member (minus a couple who are shielding and taking on the online teaching instead) just to teach the key worker's children and the Year R, 1 & 6 groups that have been allowed back. The playgrounds have markings on to allow those bubbles to play in a good sized space without getting too close, start, finish and lunch times are staggered. The team are doing a great job for the children in school and those at home, but there just isn't the space to allow more back, in our setting at least.

I agree. 
cannot fault our teachers at all. All they want is the best for the kids. Especially Georgia my littlest teacher. She is in contact with us a few time’s a week always keeping us up to date. Sent us photos of how the classroom is and letting Georgia know she misses her and hasn’t forgotten which is Important to the kids they feel a bit funny without school. 

i know a lot of people are blaming teachers on quite a few other sites but they are having to stay in line when all the government rules which trying to make it safe and normal for the kids. 

there is no way at all that a school even out which does have two spare classrooms would be able to cope with all of them full time and still doing the social distancing. It’s not possible. You would effectively need double the teachers and double the classrooms

• Like 3