2 metre rule changing to 1 metre rule? Good news?

Harry Peterson

3 hours ago, davecttr said:

Or pensioners where i live, possessing a bus pass DOES NOT entitle you to jump the bus queue 😖

Nor does having a young child that squeezes through the long queue to choose a seat while the parent "hasn't noticed " 

Both ends of the spectrum Dave😆

Avril 

2 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Not sure that's a rule Wowzz, the hotels I deal with are just advertising intense cleaning between guests. 

If that was the case for cruise ships, it would give more time for embarkation, so would solve that issue. 

Andy 

I would have thought it could also mean vacating your cabin much earlier too to allow for a faster turnaround.

Avril 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zap99 said:

We did a Baltic cruise with NCL from Dover. I think others go from Dover ,but I'm not sure. P&O cruises don't but P&O ferries do 😁. I guess in your position part of the holiday cost calculation is private car transfer. I don't think I would be happy with 3 Taxis and 2 trains each way. How about CMV from Tilbury?

Dover - 40 miles

Tilbury - 30+ miles

Southampton - 110 miles via the A31

Dover - Saga, a single balcony cabin on their newest ship, 7 nighter next summer would be about £2800 and formal nights 😲

Tilbury - I am looking for something more modern, I like a good nights sleep 😴

Southampton - probably doable on departure day.

no need to decide just yet,

18 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Dover - 40 miles

Tilbury - 30+ miles

Southampton - 110 miles via the A31

Dover - Saga, a single balcony cabin on their newest ship, 7 nighter next summer would be about £2800 and formal nights 😲

Tilbury - I am looking for something more modern, I like a good nights sleep 😴

Southampton - probably doable on departure day.

no need to decide just yet,

Problem with same day to Southampton for you is when someone has an accident and blocks the M25/6. Early start to be safe. We have cruised on Ocean Village 1&2 a longtime ago. They seemed quite big then.

Interesting article by Peter Hitchens today in the MoS where he points out that the country with one of the most rigorous lock down policies, Belgium, has recorded 843 deaths per million (UK is 620 per million), whereas Sweden, with no lockdown, has a figure of 472 per million.

Basically, all the loss of our civil liberties,  collapse of our economy, unnecessary deaths due to cancelled operations and treatments, etc, has been for nothing.

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Interesting article by Peter Hitchens today in the MoS where he points out that the country with one of the most rigorous lock down policies, Belgium, has recorded 843 deaths per million (UK is 620 per million), whereas Sweden, with no lockdown, has a figure of 472 per million.

Basically, all the loss of our civil liberties,  collapse of our economy, unnecessary deaths due to cancelled operations and treatments, etc, has been for nothing.

Cheer up Wowzz. A vaccine will be with us soon. But I hope Iona doesn't call into Belgium.

46 minutes ago, Zombatar said:

Oops, small problem then, Boris has decided no change to the 2 metre rule. What next I wonder!!

Peter

Harry put a link on this morning about it ,to be reviewed again said Boris :classic_unsure: ...

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2752382-2-metre-rule-changing-to-1-metre-rule-good-news/?do=findComment&comment=60074207

Edited by kalos

On 6/13/2020 at 2:40 PM, Adawn47 said:

I beg to differ wowzz. Cases vary from region to region and the opening of schools should be dependant on that. A village near me has had their primary school closed again with a total of 3 children and 1 teacher testing positive in the first week of opening. South Yorkshire's  cases are unfortunately still rising and I think a blanket opening of schools is irresponsible. Just to add the cases were from 2 separate 'bubbles'

Avril 

I live on boarder between South Yorkshire and Nottingham. 

it seems that people don’t really give a hoot now about the social distancing. 

I think there would be a lot less interaction with random people if we were all still at work as usually you only meet a few of your team members unless you are public facing and the amount of people that have walked past close to me in the last week or so would be hundreds. 

And for another question I’d love to know the mortality rate of flu. I know Harry showed me stats for covid yesterday. 

did you know I read one of the biggest cause of death in the U.K. for children currently is suicide between ages 5-18. 
covid was 1 in 3million I think. 

some were saying they won’t be back in September either 

21 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

I live on boarder between South Yorkshire and Nottingham. 

it seems that people don’t really give a hoot now about the social distancing. 

I think there would be a lot less interaction with random people if we were all still at work as usually you only meet a few of your team members unless you are public facing and the amount of people that have walked past close to me in the last week or so would be hundreds. 

And for another question I’d love to know the mortality rate of flu. I know Harry showed me stats for covid yesterday. 

did you know I read one of the biggest cause of death in the U.K. for children currently is suicide between ages 5-18. 
covid was 1 in 3million I think. 

some were saying they won’t be back in September either 

I'm not saying children shouldn't go back to school, just that it should depend on each town/villages cases. You only have to look through the UK regional statistics to see the wide variation of cases and can clearly see that not all areas are doing as well as the government wants us to believe. 

Avril 

• Like 2

Surely, the sensible decision would be to allow local decision making.  

I live in a semi-rural area, with no commuters, an open air shopping centre, and no CV19 deaths. There is absolutely no reason why shops, pubs, restaurants,  hair dressers etc can't open immediately around here.

Boris is just running scared, hiding behind "scientific opinions", all of which deliberately chose the worse possible case scenario, just in case they are proven wrong.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

I'm not saying children shouldn't go back to school, just that it should depend on each town/villages cases. You only have to look through the UK regional statistics to see the wide variation of cases and can clearly see that not all areas are doing as well as the government wants us to believe. 

Avril 

they is no point tho avril in sending them. They are not learning the curriculum, at least at our school which is a South Yorkshire school in the reception and year 1. They are learning about washing their hands. I don’t see the point. They need to open up and get back on with it if they want the economy to get going otherwise it’s just not going to work. 

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

I live in a semi-rural area, with no commuters, an open air shopping centre, and no CV19 deaths. There is absolutely no reason why shops, pubs, restaurants,  hair dressers etc can't open immediately around here.

Boris is just running scared, hiding behind "scientific opinions", all of which deliberately chose the worse possible case scenario, just in case they are proven wrong.

Probably because as soon as the news got out you would get a lot of potentially infectious visitors taking advantage. If you want to follow this path you have to restrict travel as Italy did, no travel outside your region etc etc.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, zap99 said:

Problem with same day to Southampton for you is when someone has an accident and blocks the M25/6. Early start to be safe. We have cruised on Ocean Village 1&2 a longtime ago. They seemed quite big then.

I'm travelling same day for Southampton from Cardiff. Just leave nice and early, the ship doesn't sail til evening.

15 hours ago, wowzz said:

Sweden did have a lockdown but not as severe as ours. We could game no lockdown. With infection rates doubling every 3 days that is 20 iterations in 2 months. Start with 100 infected people and you end up with potentially over 100 million. Probably the reason why we had a lockdown!.

9 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Sweden did have a lockdown but not as severe as ours. We could game no lockdown. With infection rates doubling every 3 days that is 20 iterations in 2 months. Start with 100 infected people and you end up with potentially over 100 million. Probably the reason why we had a lockdown!.

As with everything, it’s a question of balancing different interests, and the political impact.

Logically, and financially, you can mount an argument that since it’s primarily only the old and infirm that this virus kills (very, very small % death rate outside these groups) you should just protect these groups and allow everyone else to carry on more or less as normal.  Perfectly feasible, and very little impact on the economy.

Big political impact though, particularly as it’s older people who are more likely to vote.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

You dont think that maybe an open hairdressers would attract customers from other areas that might not be covid free?

6 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

You dont think that maybe an open hairdressers would attract customers from other areas that might not be covid free?

Not sure how many people are going to travel say, 30 miles for a haircut, even if they knew the hairdressers was open and could get an appointment. 

Anyway, the majority of the time the hairdresser is behind you, and if they wear PPE, the  chances of infection are remote. 

It's about time that this state of fear is relaxed. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

they is no point tho avril in sending them. They are not learning the curriculum, at least at our school which is a South Yorkshire school in the reception and year 1. They are learning about washing their hands. I don’t see the point. They need to open up and get back on with it if they want the economy to get going otherwise it’s just not going to work. 

I think a big problem is the fact that many schools just don't have the space or staff to open up to all pupils while there is any level of social distancing measures in place. Our 1 form entry primary school is using every classroom plus the hall and every staff member (minus a couple who are shielding and taking on the online teaching instead) just to teach the key worker's children and the Year R, 1 & 6 groups that have been allowed back. The playgrounds have markings on to allow those bubbles to play in a good sized space without getting too close, start, finish and lunch times are staggered. The team are doing a great job for the children in school and those at home, but there just isn't the space to allow more back, in our setting at least.

• Like 3