How are the local business surviving?

rwdw

I posted this question on Tripadvisor last week. Now to ask the members here:

This time next year we are planning our first trip to Alaska. The first week is our "land " portion is visiting Denali and Seward. The second week is on a cruise ship going down to Vancouver.

On our trips we always try to support local shops, hotels and guides. We always prefer the local flavor in small groups instead of being herded from one location to another in a large group.

So my question is, how are the local business surviving with the quarantine and shutdown of the cruise industry this year?

You ask an excellent question and I have wondered the same.  

I have a Nephew who is a resident of Alaska and has worked during the Summer for a tour company in Anchorage as a tour guide.  I spoke with my Nephew last week, so this is fairly recent news.  He had spoken with the owner of the company about whether his services might be needed this Summer.  The owner said that they are open with their first tours being in mid-June.  My Nephew has the impression that he will be working for them again this Summer.  

I received an email form Travel Alaska today about all the ways to get to and see Alaska.

https://www.travelalaska.com/GetInspired/Blog/May-2020.aspx?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=June&utm_content=2099

I may do a late summer trip of fly to Fairbanks, visit Denali and go to Kenai Fjord NP if I and fit it in.

They are offering some refundable trips, excursions. National park chat here

https://add.eventable.com/events/5d71836c649aae03ae095ef9/5ee285caf935de009c458a86

A-

Based on what I've rad on these boards, its tough right now. Some companies can't afford to refund their customers who were cancelled this year and are begging to extend for next year. Some have said straight up that they are going under. I expect to see a much different landscape next year. Such a shame.

However to the OP, your post would be more believable without all of the links to TripAdvisor.....

Hi 1025cruise,

I just copied and pasted my original post from TA to save time. I did not realize at the time that that it would bring the links that TA inserts into posts with it. I did not mean to cause offence to anyone.

My original concern is still valid. In my current research have also found that the local business, especially in the ports were cruise ships call, are having very difficult times. 

While currently all I have booked is only the cruise (which I hope still goes). I am a planner and had a list of hotels and tours for the land portion and local tours while on the cruise. As a planner I always tried to have a Plan B for when unexpected problems came up during a trip. Currently, I am in uncharted waters facing what to do for Plan C(ovid).

I will continue to monitor these local business and would appreciate any updates that members have if they would please post them to this board.

I do appreciate the updates that  rkacruiser, AlanF65 and bottom-dragger have posted.

Kind Regards

rwdw

• Like 1

Hi AKStafford,

Thank you for updating us on how business conditions are on the ground in Alaska. I appreciate your first hand observations.

Stay Safe

rwdw 

I've got a trip planned in August-   that is "open",  of course subject to very current day to day possible changes.    

It's open ended,   but,  If I get there it should be several weeks.    It is an area where distancing is probably easily accomplished.    I am,  so hoping I get there.    I've had 7 cruises canceled,  through 8-2020,   

Certainly-  just sobering times,  that need the restrictions.    I am not complaining.   

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. My daughter had a Covid test done recently and her only complaint was the burning sensation. I guess I can handle that as I have had tubes shoved into other orifices by doctors and it did more than burn!!!LOL

5 hours ago, diesel1973 said:

I am flying to Alaska tomorrow for six weeks. I possibly will need to take a Covid test on arrival. I can't imagine downtown Anchorage being empty. Will be a very interesting trip.

You are required to have the results from a test within 72 hours of arriving in Alaska. Otherwise you have to quarantine once you arrive here.

Other than the lack of tourist, Anchorage is as busy as it usually is. Some places require masks (banks, Costco, medical places).

49 minutes ago, AKStafford said:

You are required to have the results from a test within 72 hours of arriving in Alaska. Otherwise you have to quarantine once you arrive here.

Other than the lack of tourist, Anchorage is as busy as it usually is. Some places require masks (banks, Costco, medical places).

Thanks for the info. Thought I had to take the test at the airport. No problem with getting tested as my niece works at a hospital up there.

2 hours ago, diesel1973 said:

Thanks for the info. Thought I had to take the test at the airport. No problem with getting tested as my niece works at a hospital up there.

Testing is done at the airport-  and you are required to quarantine until results are known.   You are sent to a different entry, for testing-   if you do not have documentation.     

3 hours ago, diesel1973 said:

Sorry, I wasn't clear... The test has to be done BEFORE coming to Alaska. They'll want proof when you land.

I'm really confused now. Can I have the Covid test done at Anchorage airport or does it need to be done before I leave? If I can't have it done at airport can I quarantine myself until I have test done and get results?

18 minutes ago, diesel1973 said:

I'm really confused now. Can I have the Covid test done at Anchorage airport or does it need to be done before I leave? If I can't have it done at airport can I quarantine myself until I have test done and get results?

You can have the test done within 3 days of your flight, show up in AK with negative test results, and not have to quarantine.

If you show up without a test to the Anchorage airport they will give you a test but you will then have to quarantine until you get the results back which could take 5 days. 

Just FYI I landed in Anchorage and got tested for Covid and am required to quarantine till results. A form must be completed first,which is available on phone . I am required to test in 2 weeks and I think every 2 weeks after. It is what it is.

Maybe a dumb question, but where do you quarantine yourself?  Can you check into a hotel? Must you get room service or how do you eat if under quarantine?

I was thinking of staying at Mt. Alyeska lodge for a week.  Is that even possible? Thanks.

Really don't know the answer to that one as I am staying at my nephews house. They ask on the form you fill out where you are staying, reachable phone # and e-mail address. Haven't heard from them yet! I would think that is possible if you have your food delivered to you.

1 hour ago, diesel1973 said:

Really don't know the answer to that one as I am staying at my nephews house. They ask on the form you fill out where you are staying, reachable phone # and e-mail address. Haven't heard from them yet! I would think that is possible if you have your food delivered to you.

I have a Nephew and family that live at Chugiak, not far from Eagle River where I think you are. Flying to Alaska this Summer and had to be quarantined at his home with two boys of the ages of 6 and 3 and a huge Labrador that is much too friendly for my preference, I would not be a really happy Uncle.  I love my family; I really do.  The boys, my Nephew's wife and my Nephew:  all our great people.  Their cat and I are "friends"; the dog, not so much on my side. It's just not a Summer to go "North, to Alaska!" for me.  And, I regret it so very much!

Enjoy your stay and I hope that you will post your experiences during this most unique situation of 2020.  

A shame you couldn't make it up here. Have to get out of that heat and humidity. Been coming up here for 25+ years. Will be posting if anything out of ordinary happens. My nephew has whole stay planned with mostly fishing. Still not too late to get up here ! Airfares are super cheap.

• Like 1

Been coming up here for 25 +  years. Have to get out of the heat and humidity. Love it up here and hope to keep coming God willing. My nephew has whole stay planned. Mostly fishing and other adventures. Shame you can't make it up here, still not too late. Will be posting if any thing out of ordinary occurs. 6 weeks is going to fly by.