Edge Dumbbell Weights

bubbachief

2 hours ago, bubbachief said:

Does anyone know what the maximum dumbbell weights are in the Edge gym?

Our son is a serious weight lifter and would like to know.

Here's a photo of the free weights rack. Tbh I don't remember how high it went up to but I venture to say nothing over 100lbs.

IMG_20181218_174335214.jpg

It  is a small area but manageable.

Also ..beware of the unevenness of the flooring in the EDGE gym as you walk towards the  machines.  After tripping twice we remembered where the problem was located.  Gym equip was new but overall we were not  wowed! 

On 6/19/2020 at 4:23 PM, 39august said:

There are flat weights that  can be added to bars to get more weight. 

It has been about 18 months since we cruised on Edge, but I don’t think the dumbbells have the option to add additional plates. If you look at the photo the dumbbells on the rack are not the type that allow additional weight to be added. 100 lb. would be the maximum. I also found the machines to be minimal. The S Class ships have a better variety of machines. 

Edited by RICCruisers

1 minute ago, 39august said:

You do not add weights to dumbells. There are plain bars just for adding the weights you want. I've seen those in every gym I've been in over the last 30 years.

I think your first reply threw some people off, as the OP was asking about dumbbells and your reply addressed barbells. 

FYI, there are dumbbells made by a good number of companies that you can adjust for weight, designed primarily for home gyms, although I've seen them in hotel gyms too. Some are designed like barbells and you just vary the number and weight of the plates. Others, like the Bowflex, have a dial system for adjusting the weight, a bit quicker and easier but $$$. This article describes "7 Best Adjustable Dumbbells" https://www.menshealth.com/technology-gear/a22788746/best-adjustable-dumbbells/

2 hours ago, 39august said:

You do not add weights to dumbells. There are plain bars just for adding the weights you want. I've seen those in every gym I've been in over the last 30 years.

My reply addressed the original post about dumbbells on Edge. I do not recall seeing any barbells on Edge that offer you the ability to select your choice of plates and clips. If you are talking about land based gyms, I agree they all have both dumbbells and barbells. The Free Weight choices on ships are much more limited and usually limited to dumbbells of a predetermined weight. 

Edited by RICCruisers

1 hour ago, RICCruisers said:

My reply addressed the original post about dumbbells on Edge. I do not recall seeing any barbells on Edge that offer you the ability to select your choice of plates and clips. If you are talking about land based gyms, I agree they all have both dumbbells and barbells. The Free Weight choices on ships are much more limited and usually limited to dumbbells of a predetermined weight. 

Royal's Quantum Class Ships are one of the only ships I've seen that have removable weight plate machines in addition to your standard stacked weight machines, dumbbells, cable weight machines, Smith machine, and Technogym cable machines. 

IMG_20161005_154710.jpg

IMG_20161005_154736.jpg

IMG_20161005_163808.jpg

11 hours ago, HardyVA said:

How do you think the virus will affect the gyms on board?  

In much the same manner as gyms on shore. Lots of physical distancing, limited number of passengers, possible sign up for a time slot, more frequent and thorough cleaning, few if any group classes.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/25/2020 at 10:11 AM, Fouremco said:

In much the same manner as gyms on shore. Lots of physical distancing, limited number of passengers, possible sign up for a time slot, more frequent and thorough cleaning, few if any group classes.  

Thank you.