QM2 Refurb 2020 - going ahead?

AspirationalFlyer

Hello all 

I hope everyone is safe and well. Is the QM2 refurb still scheduled to go ahead later this year? I wasn’t sure if it had been delayed by the current health situation. I strongly suspect I have missed another thread on this, so very happy to be pointed in the right direction.  

Thanks very much. 

AF

Nothing official from Cunard in recent months on the QM2 drydock or on the newbuild.  Pre-Covid the ship was to have been dry docked Nov 5-28.  But her first sailing is a 3-nighter Christmas Markets sailing out of Southampton on the 28th.  In normal times she would have resumed service out of Hamburg right after leaving Elbe 17.  Some essential below-the-waterline work cannot be postponed and only a few drydocks in the world can accommodate her.  Perhaps they will drydock for essential maintenance and do the interior work while the ship is underway. 

Edited by BlueRiband

17 hours ago, Balticdream said:

Could they bring it forward a bit?

Assuming they still have enough money to do it and also assuming that the shipyard can handle the work with any restrictions in place. 

I have to imagine that Carnival Corp is trying to save money wherever they can and if deferring a refit for a year or two helps its certainly better than selling off ships they'll need once demand picks back up. 

Just now, AspirationalFlyer said:

I heard back from Cunard on Twitter, They simply said: “More information will be available on this in the coming months, and we will be sure to update guests accordingly. Thank you for your understanding!”. 

Just as an aside, I hope it does go ahead because I think it is a worthwhile investment. The spa is looking particularly tired and parts of the pool areas rusty with chipped and peeling paint. Parts of the Royal Court Theatre look like they have seen better days too. 

• Like 2

I couldn't agree more with you re: the Spa. It was in such a poor state of repair with three features closed the last voyage we were on that I had to speak to the SpaMgr and had my 7 day price plan refunded to my onboard account. 

My POV was if this was in a hotel it would be shut down immediately for routine maintenance and refurbishment however because we are at sea some leeway could be given, but only so much....

2 hours ago, sogne said:

the key issue will be are there any mandatory hull and machinery inspection that have to be done

new build Iona is being worked on at Bremerhaven for P&O at present

Iona is currently based in Rotterdam and doing sea trials she left Bremerhaven on 30th May.

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

Iona is currently based in Rotterdam and doing sea trials she left Bremerhaven on 30th May.

IONA left Bremerhaven # 0400 gym 21 June 4 trials currently stopped north of The Skaw