Carnival cancels until October 1 will royal follow I’m tired of this

21 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Sure...and then watch it change to October 15, then November.....etc. unless things improve drastically. All the 'herd immunity' supporters should be happy, since that's what it seems to heading towards anyway. Social darwinism. 

If herd immunity isn't the way for this to eventually die out, then exactly what do you propose?  A vaccine is not a sure thing so do we simply live in a continued state of social distancing and masks forever?  And to be clear, I do support wearing face coverings and social distancing, but it is a catch 22.

• Like 2

Mek...it is indeed a catch 22 as you say . I don't really have any answers, but I'm just a bit frustrated seeing (at least in my area) that the transition to green apparently is indicative, for way too many people, that it's now fine to remove all your masks - get close together again socially and pretend like nothing ever happened. Large groups congregating in various states is resulting in the numbers of new cases skyrocketing. I thought the general idea was to have a gradual transition to a reasonably open state. For a local business to inform me - while still in yellow - that the policy is for masks to be fully optional and no concern for distancing is, at this juncture yet, rather irresponsible and too far a leap forward. People are being overly impatient to get back out and be free to do as they wish, and I understand that. A local respiratory therapist I talked to, however, expressed how she has worn 1-3 masks, gowns, gloves, and shields every workday since March, for 10-hour shifts each day. To someone like that, it's pretty hard to swallow this thinking that it's "all a conspiracy" or being told that "if they are afraid to live they should stay at home", or that it's "their right not to wear a mask."  Even worse, being told by our President that the pandemic is now reduced to "ashes and embers" and is "dying out" is likely the worst thing that could have been said publicly being that Trump's word is gospel to many (especially after he held up a bible in front of a church?) 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OnTheJourney said:

Mek...it is indeed a catch 22 as you say . I don't really have any answers, but I'm just a bit frustrated seeing (at least in my area) that the transition to green apparently is indicative, for way too many people, that it's now fine to remove all your masks - get close together again socially and pretend like nothing ever happened. Large groups congregating in various states is resulting in the numbers of new cases skyrocketing. I thought the general idea was to have a gradual transition to a reasonably open state. For a local business to inform me - while still in yellow - that the policy is for masks to be fully optional and no concern for distancing is, at this juncture yet, rather irresponsible and too far a leap forward. People are being overly impatient to get back out and be free to do as they wish, and I understand that. A local respiratory therapist I talked to, however, expressed how she has worn 1-3 masks, gowns, gloves, and shields every workday since March, for 10-hour shifts each day. To someone like that, it's pretty hard to swallow this thinking that it's "all a conspiracy" or being told that "if they are afraid to live they should stay at home", or that it's "their right not to wear a mask."  Even worse, being told by our President that the pandemic is now reduced to "ashes and embers" and is "dying out" is likely the worst thing that could have been said publicly being that Trump's word is gospel to many (especially after he held up a bible in front of a church?) 

Well, I have always said this virus should not be a political issue.  I never trust any politician, up to and including any president,  to give me medical advice and regardless of which side of the aisle we are on politicians on both sides have given questionable advice.  I do wish Trump would be more selective with his comments, but at the end of the day it really is up to each individual to make an informed decision.  Having said that, right now I wish the states/counties/cities would take action and make masks mandatory when INSIDE.  As I have mentioned on other threads, I don't see why people shouldn't do it because it certainly can't hurt and probably helps.  I don't see it as an infringement on my personal freedom and neither should anyone else.

But unfortunately if we are successful in preventing the spread, then we slow down herd immunity.  It will be interesting to see how hospitalizations/deaths increase/decrease over the next few weeks.  If younger people are getting ill but not seriously, then that could go a long way to get to that point.  The at risk people are the ones that should continue to be very careful, but honestly when I'm out they are some of the worst "offenders" who don't wear masks or practice social distancing.

• Like 5

On 6/24/2020 at 4:26 PM, mek said:

Well, I have always said this virus should not be a political issue.  I never trust any politician, up to and including any president,  to give me medical advice and regardless of which side of the aisle we are on politicians on both sides have given questionable advice.  I do wish Trump would be more selective with his comments, but at the end of the day it really is up to each individual to make an informed decision.  Having said that, right now I wish the states/counties/cities would take action and make masks mandatory when INSIDE.  As I have mentioned on other threads, I don't see why people shouldn't do it because it certainly can't hurt and probably helps.  I don't see it as an infringement on my personal freedom and neither should anyone else.

But unfortunately if we are successful in preventing the spread, then we slow down herd immunity.  It will be interesting to see how hospitalizations/deaths increase/decrease over the next few weeks.  If younger people are getting ill but not seriously, then that could go a long way to get to that point.  The at risk people are the ones that should continue to be very careful, but honestly when I'm out they are some of the worst "offenders" who don't wear masks or practice social distancing.

It's not clear if the herd immunity is the right solution either as the anti bodies seem not to last for more than a few months after which someone that had COVID-19 might be again fully exposed tocatch it again:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-antibody/antibody-levels-in-recovered-covid-19-patients-decline-quickly-research-idUSKBN23T1CJ

24 minutes ago, LXA350 said:

It's not clear if the herd immunity is the right solution either as the anti bodies seem not to last for more than a few months after which someone that had COVID-19 might be again fully exposed tocatch it again:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-antibody/antibody-levels-in-recovered-covid-19-patients-decline-quickly-research-idUSKBN23T1CJ

If herd immunity isn't the solution, then there is no point in developing a vaccine.

Edited by mek