Labadee vs CocoCay

On 6/24/2020 at 12:35 PM, twangster said:

Both are great private destinations but different.  CocoCay feels a little more dense IMO, with what I perceive to be less land mass used so areas are more congregated.  Labadee feels more spread out.  

Both can be enjoyed without spending a dime.  The drink package (if you buy one) works at both destinations.  No Voom wifi coverage (yet) at Labadee.  Both have a pier now.

Cabanas have traditionally been cheaper on Labadee but fewer of them bucking the supply and demand theory of pricing compared to the super expensive cabanas on Cococay.  More food options on Cococay.  More to do on CocoCay that involves spending money but that isn't required to enjoy either.  

Spot on... Coco Cay is 125 acres and Labadee is almost 260. 

This is a weird question about Labadee. My son took a trip to Haiti about 6 years ago. He had to have a ton of different vaccinations for such nice diseases as malaria, typhoid, dengue and a bunch of nasty other vector borne diseases.  Do the mosquitoes not travel to the other side of the island?   

I am just curious as it seems there is a little bit of concern going to Port au Prince with vaccinations, but never heard anything about Labadee.

Edited by cured

There are no hoops to go through to go to Labadee. It has nothing to do with what is needed to go to Haiti. Labadee is bigger than Cocoa Cay, but both can be relaxing and free if that's what you want. Labadee also has a great zip line, and other extras if you are into them. You can't go wrong either way.

14 hours ago, alfaeric said:

As a fellow resident of Michigan, the last time I remember swimming in one of the Great Lakes (Michigan, near Michigan City, IN) had to have been over 20 years ago.  I shiver at the thought.

The Great Lakes aren't for the faint of heart, that's for sure!

14 hours ago, alfaeric said:

Then again, we've also been to Coco Cay in the winter, and while it's cool in the winter, since we normally fly away from ambient highs of lower than 30, we are still ok with Coco Cay in the winter.

Exactly -- one man's trash is another man's treasure.  When you're scraping ice off your car's windows every day, water temps in the 70s aren't much of a turn-off!  

11 hours ago, cured said:

This is a weird question about Labadee. My son took a trip to Haiti about 6 years ago. He had to have a ton of different vaccinations for such nice diseases as malaria, typhoid, dengue and a bunch of nasty other vector borne diseases.  Do the mosquitoes not travel to the other side of the island?   

I am just curious as it seems there is a little bit of concern going to Port au Prince with vaccinations, but never heard anything about Labadee.

Honestly, I've never seen a mosquito at Labadee -- probably because the ship leaves well before PMT -- Prime Mosquito Time. 

If you're going to be spending a chunk of time in Haiti, vaccinations would be prudent, but for a simple day trip during broad daylight, it's really not an issue.  

• Thanks 1