Labadee vs CocoCay

I think the biggest difference is the Oasis Lagoon at CocoCay. Before we went to CoCo Cay, I was pretty sure I liked Labadee better. But after experiencing the Lagoon, we like Coco Cay better. We are not big beach people so having the huge pool and swim up bar is nice.

I would take either right about now.

mac_tlc

• Like 2

If cruising has to be private islands in Nov for our cruise, I would not mind. They could swap St Maarten for Labadee and I would not care. I would actually like it in my opinion. We could zipline in Labadee and waterpark at CocoCay. But, if we have to move our cruise, there is one that is Labadee/Falmouth/Cozumel or CocoCay/St Thomas/St Kitts. Both are Oasis class ships.

Both are great private destinations but different.  CocoCay feels a little more dense IMO, with what I perceive to be less land mass used so areas are more congregated.  Labadee feels more spread out.  

Both can be enjoyed without spending a dime.  The drink package (if you buy one) works at both destinations.  No Voom wifi coverage (yet) at Labadee.  Both have a pier now.

Cabanas have traditionally been cheaper on Labadee but fewer of them bucking the supply and demand theory of pricing compared to the super expensive cabanas on Cococay.  More food options on Cococay.  More to do on CocoCay that involves spending money but that isn't required to enjoy either.  

Tough choice 😉

During the winter months the water at Labadee is you swim on the lagoon/inlet side will be warmer (if you get the timing on the tide right since the inland water will be going out with the tide)

Both are nice places.  Labadee has a nice tropical rain forest vibe/scenery going for it.....

DSC03112.JPG.8a59517af17ceac7c03cec8b83d15164.JPG

Cococay is the newer/fresher destination.  Depending on where you pick to swim you can be in the man made inlet areas with a view that contains the ship all day

DSC02450.JPG.f2e638f125201dfa299546461b5db799.JPG

Of if you get to south beach area.....I think it has the best over all view...of open ocean uniterrupted to the horizon (at least it did before they added the over water cabanas) but if you get one of those you will get that view back 😉  Other wise turn your head a little to the right so they are out of view 🙂 😉 😉

DSC02023.JPG.d4069fd769134b56ddbff8169ca9fd12.JPG

The water was also the clearest I have ever seen at cococay.  Labadee I thought was a little on the greener side but still beautiful.

I don't have any photos of locations without people in them 😉

Many years ago I took a celebrity cruise to CocoCay.  It was on a smaller boat (than many of the current RCL ships) and preceded the “Perfect Day” changes.  It was magical.  I relaxed on a hammock strung between two coconut palms — and no coconuts fell on my head!  It was quite easy to find an almost secluded area of the beach.  The sand was white, the water clear, and one could wade forever before the water was even knee deep.  And all the fish that looked like aquarium fish with lots of colors that swam between my legs.

I would love to repeat this experience.  But with the “Perfect Day” changes, I don’t know if that is still possible.

I've been to both and love both of them. I'd say 51% Coco simply because of the recent upgrades, but you really cant go wrong at either location. Labadee feels more island-ish to me, Coco could be in FL, TX, etc. As in a previous post, I'd take either right now.

I agree that Labadee feels more "tropical island" -- I love to just float around in the water and look up at the tree-covered mountain hills surrounding Columbus Cove.  Coco Cay is VERY flat by comparison.

Both offer free loungers, free buffet, etc.  I rarely spend a dime at either one, other than tips for waitstaff.  It really is just a personal preference kind of thing. 

Labadee all the way! Not knocking CocoCay in any way- it is certainly impressive- all depends on the feel and vibe and activities you are seeking. For a more beachy, tropical feel- Labadee has the ocean vibe beat and the cabanas are WAYYYYY cheaper if you are considering. 

CocoCay feels more like entering a theme park from the water slides, HUGE freshwater pool and swim up bar (frigid cold in Jan/Feb) and all the activities on the island. They have an entertainment staff on land, so you receive a CocoCay compass for all the activities laid out for the day. Food selection was fantastic though on CocoCay- tons of options. Do keep in mind that most things are at an additional cost on CocoCay (not the pool). You do  have the ocean - it was too rough when we were there both times to swim. They also have the new Coco Beach club (additional fee) if you are willing and includes upgraded lunch. 

You will not go wrong on any of the options- it's complete personal preference based on your ideal day and the other ports of call may also sway your decision. 

Happy Planning 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, perfect match said:

We have the best of both worlds! The cruise we Lifted & Shifted to, Allure, Sept 2012, goes to both Labadee and Coco Cay.  😀

Thank you for all the replies. Right now I am really looking at potential options in case they cancel Nov cruises. If they don't cancel Nov and ports are closed to cruise ships, I am hoping a CocoCay/Labadee/CocoCay trip. That would be a perfect compromise just to get out of this mess of a world we live in right now. 

14 hours ago, dodgestang said:

Tough choice 😉

During the winter months the water at Labadee is you swim on the lagoon/inlet side will be warmer (if you get the timing on the tide right since the inland water will be going out with the tide)

Excellent point.  Both destinations are nice, but I enjoy the warmer water at Labadee in the winter.  A few winters ago I happened to have cruises stop in Labadee for four months in a row and I enjoyed being in the water on Labadee on each trip.  When we stopped in Nassau the water was cold.  Going farther south in the winter is always the best answer.

2 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Excellent point.  Both destinations are nice, but I enjoy the warmer water at Labadee in the winter.  A few winters ago I happened to have cruises stop in Labadee for four months in a row and I enjoyed being in the water on Labadee on each trip.  When we stopped in Nassau the water was cold.  Going farther south in the winter is always the best answer.

And you call yourself a Michigander?  Have you ever been in a Michigan lake, or, heaven forbid, a Great Lake?  Most of Lake Michigan is in the 50s right now!  LOL

mswt-36.gif

2 minutes ago, brillohead said:

And you call yourself a Michigander?  Have you ever been in a Michigan lake, or, heaven forbid, a Great Lake?  Most of Lake Michigan is in the 50s right now!  LOL

mswt-36.gif

So what makes you think I swim or snorkel in any of the Great Lakes?  As a general rule I avoid most inland lakes.  I think I've only been in Lake Huron twice and Lake Erie once in my 60+ years.  It's not fun.  FYI, Surface water temperature at the mouth of the Detroit River was around 72 deg last Sunday and still wouldn't be fun.

I agree with those who address the water temperature and time of year.  I find the water in the Bahamas in the winter (and oftentimes even the air temperature !) to be waaaytoo cool for me.  In the summer, it's not as critical, but if you want to swim and it's going to be wintertime, I recommend Labadee.

If there was a cruise to both of these ports - that would be nice IMO.     I like CocoCay for the various activities but agree that water temperature, especially during the winter months, is much cooler in Bahamas than Labadee.    IMO Labadee is more laid back while cococay is more active and upbeat.    Both works for me.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

So what makes you think I swim or snorkel in any of the Great Lakes?  As a general rule I avoid most inland lakes.  I think I've only been in Lake Huron twice and Lake Erie once in my 60+ years.  It's not fun.  FYI, Surface water temperature at the mouth of the Detroit River was around 72 deg last Sunday and still wouldn't be fun.

Sheesh, I was just kidding around... that's what the LOL was for at the end.  Sorry if you took personal offense -- it was meant to be a joke.  Everyone is entitled to swim in whatever temperature water they want.  

1 hour ago, brillohead said:

Sheesh, I was just kidding around... that's what the LOL was for at the end.  Sorry if you took personal offense -- it was meant to be a joke.  Everyone is entitled to swim in whatever temperature water they want.  

As a fellow resident of Michigan, the last time I remember swimming in one of the Great Lakes (Michigan, near Michigan City, IN) had to have been over 20 years ago.  I shiver at the thought.

Then again, we've also been to Coco Cay in the winter, and while it's cool in the winter, since we normally fly away from ambient highs of lower than 30, we are still ok with Coco Cay in the winter.

Not sure if my Odyssey trip in January can even happen, but it's supposed to hit both CC and Labadee, as well as San Juan and St. Thomas.  Seemed like a great itinerary when I booked it.  

• Like 1