Any Advantage to Applying FCC to Existing Booking

kjg46

We currently have an existing booking for 2021secured with a FC Deposit. We received our FCC for a 2020 canceled cruise a month ago. 

Is there any advantage of applying the FCC to our 2021 booking. Should the 2021 cruise be canceled, I assume Princess would just move the applied credit back to our FCC account. (Maybe additional cancellation credits??) Appreciate your comments. (Sorry if this subject had already been discussed)

Stay Safe😷

I have been pondering this issue also.  I am thinking of leaving the money in my account until closer to the cruise to which I want to apply it, as assuming Princess could easily move the money from a cancelled cruise back to my account may be an unreasonable assumption, given what we are all going through now.

1 hour ago, kjg46 said:

We currently have an existing booking for 2021secured with a FC Deposit. We received our FCC for a 2020 canceled cruise a month ago. 

Is there any advantage of applying the FCC to our 2021 booking. Should the 2021 cruise be canceled, I assume Princess would just move the applied credit back to our FCC account. (Maybe additional cancellation credits??) Appreciate your comments. (Sorry if this subject had already been discussed)

Stay Safe

Here’s what the Princess Web site says about FCC.

Future Cruise Credits

Any available Cruise Credits can be applied to your next Princess booking. The credits are used against the cruise fare paid with Princess. 

It’s only used for a deposit on a new booking. I don’t know how you could use since you already have a booking. How were you planning to do that?  What did you use for your deposit for your new booking?

I’m planning to book a cruise on July 7 & will use one of my FCC for my deposit. I’m not aware that I can use it for anything else other than a booking for a new booking. 

Tom😀

We have two future cruises booked, one for October (which probably won't happen) and one for next April.  We had FCCs from a cruise cancelled in April, and without notice Princess automatically applied our credits to the total cost of the two cruises.  We weren't planning to apply the credits until final payment was due, but just saw that it happened when we checked our account.  I assume Princess will just put it back into our account if they cancel the cruise (sure hope so!).

43 minutes ago, trbarton said:

Here’s what the Princess Web site says about FCC.

Future Cruise Credits

Any available Cruise Credits can be applied to your next Princess booking. The credits are used against the cruise fare paid with Princess. 

It’s only used for a deposit on a new booking. I don’t know how you could use since you already have a booking. How were you planning to do that?  What did you use for your deposit for your new booking?

I’m planning to book a cruise on July 7 & will use one of my FCC for my deposit. I’m not aware that I can use it for anything else other than a booking for a new booking. 

Tom😀

Tom, I think what the OP is talking about is the bonus FCC that we were given for option 2.  That amount can be used towards the total fare of any upcoming cruise.  For instance, if you have $2000 in FCC and the price of an upcoming cruise is $3000, you will only have to come up with $1000 out of your pocket.

28 minutes ago, CruzinNoony said:

Tom, I think what the OP is talking about is the bonus FCC that we were given for option 2.  That amount can be used towards the total fare of any upcoming cruise.  For instance, if you have $2000 in FCC and the price of an upcoming cruise is $3000, you will only have to come up with $1000 out of your pocket.

Tom:

CruzinNoony:

We selected Option 1. The detail behind the FFC Balance shows the following:

1. Future Cruise Deposit (Applied to our 2021 Booking).

2. Voyage Goodwill  (FCC Amount of our cancelled cruise)

3. Voyage Goodwill (FCC  Bonus Amt from Option 1)

Princess did not apply any amounts to our existing booking. When the payment comes due, I will advise ether Princess or my TA to apply said balances to my current booking or additional bookings. Additional bookings may be subject to greater deposits as I have already used my FCD on the early 2021 cruise. 

Considering how fluid cruising schedules are these days, I think using an FCC for a booked cruise is the best way to pay down the cost.  You can't get a refund for the FCC, and you tie up no extra money on the cruise, and the FCC "floats" to another cruise if the one it's applied to is cancelled.

To me, it's win-win-win.  I agree that any cash should not be sent to the "potential refund black hole".  

3 hours ago, CruzinNoony said:

Thanks for clarifying that. Since I don’t have any canceled cruises I didn’t think of that. If I had a large amount of credit that I could use I might consider that especially if I would get it back if my cruise was canceled. 

Thanks again!

Tom😀

I'll give my real world experience, and also my thoughts, since that's what OP asked for.

We were on Grand for the Hawaii cruise that landed us in quarantine at Travis.  Compensation included a considerable amount of "Voyage Goodwill".  This was processed ironically, while we were on the bus headed from Oakland to Travis, so a couple of days prior to the first halt of cruises.  

We had an existing booking for January '21 against which we applied the Voyage Goodwill leaving us with a small cash balance due in November (or whenever final payment ends up being due).

Our logic was as follows:

1.  Having had an April cruise cancelled by Princess in phase 1, and having waited 80+ days for that refund, we aren't keen to have them holding any more of our cash money than absolutely necessary until things return to normal (that means years from now).

2.  The Voyage Goodwill having been 'found money' we aren't terribly concerned if it goes missing for several months in the event that this '21 booking gets cancelled.  

I still like our logic, but do find myself wondering why I went ahead and applied the credit now rather than doing so just before final payment was due.  The process was surprisingly simple, completed in one single phone call.  I suppose I was worried that it would land somewhere in refund hell for manual processing at some indeterminate future date.  Still, if I had it to do over again, I'd hold off applying the credit until considerably closer.

Hope this helps somewhat.