Booking Single vs Double to minimize downpayment

If you book a future cabin, say 1 year out and book it as a single, can you lock in the price and add a second person just before final payment and just pay the extra port taxes, or will the whole pricing structure of the cabin change when the second person is added?  The aim is to reduce deposit exposure if the booking needs to be cancelled for unforseen reasons.

39 minutes ago, rtanders said:

If you book a future cabin, say 1 year out and book it as a single, can you lock in the price and add a second person just before final payment and just pay the extra port taxes, or will the whole pricing structure of the cabin change when the second person is added?  The aim is to reduce deposit exposure if the booking needs to be cancelled for unforseen reasons.

Yes, that will work. 

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

No, if a solo booked in a double occupancy room it does not get repriced and they always allow for 2 guests fir muster capacity. 

Good to know - not sure that has always been reported to be the case in practice.

I thought that was why it was always recommended to book for two and TBD.

Edited by c-leg5

I thank everyone for their responses. The cruises I booked are b2b on the Odyssey were Greek Isles and repositioning October 2021. 
I was able to save or float $700 on the down payment and one port tax. The muster comment was very interesting. I appreciate all the wisdom and feedback. 

1 hour ago, c-leg5 said:

Good to know - not sure that has always been reported to be the case in practice.

I've had people tell me to book for 2, sales for 60% off 2nd pax, can book a gty with a TBD, not as a solo.

So sometimes people solo book for 2, goes both ways. Price is sometimes cheaper for 2 than form1.

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

I've had people tell me to book for 2, sales for 60% off 2nd pax, can book a gty with a TBD, not as a solo.

So sometimes people solo book for 2, goes both ways. Price is sometimes cheaper for 2 than form1.

You make a good point for someone actually wanting to sail solo. Gty are always worth a try but recently they haven’t  always been cheaper which doesn’t really make sense to me. 

5 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

I was told the TBD was considered a passenger and I had to pay the deposit.  I was booking directly with RC.  Maybe a TA is able to add the "TBD" without a deposit.  

5 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

I thought this to be true also in regards to the muster capacity.

34 minutes ago, adolfo2 said:

I'm 99% sure that if/when you add a second person that it's at the "going rate" i.e could me more than what the initial passenger is paying.

Based in many posts on here by frequent solo travellers and my own personal experience with clients reservations if the category stays the same the rate will not change and the only additional fees would be the port taxes and fees for the second person. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 2