What are your Favorite Cocktail(s) on board

BklynBoy8

9 hours ago, GlobalMethod said:

Souvignon Blanc  is a favorite also ... sometimes I'll ask a bartender if they have any wine from Marlborough County, New Zealand to see if they know the Sauvignon Blanc from that area is the best!

That question has become my "standard" in a conversation with a bartender to determine how knowledgeable he/she is.  

It's disappointing to me that on some cruise lines, it is becoming difficult to find such quality wines.  The Home Office whomever in charge of food/beverage just does not order for their ships.  I am always pleased when I am told that a Marlborough County wine is available.  I will buy a bottle and have the bar's staff keep it for me at the bar.  

My definition of great bar service is when I am at a bar where my bottle is not, a bartender or steward will fetch my bottle from my "home bar".  That is worthy of an extra gratutity.  

• Like 2

Another liquor I took a liking to after visiting several times to St Marrten was Guava Berry Liquor.

Used it in many summer drinks and also on Ice Cream.

One of those Island specials you find when you visit them. Also liked Blue Curacao when we visited the island of Curacao. Even got the Orange Version too. I like to use the Blue one for summer time Blue Hawaii's....

OK ... so now we are talking on this subject! ... 🙂 ... The drink Kir Royale can be made on most cruises with Chambord versus the traditionally used liquor, casis ... Chambord is superior ... OH ... a Kir Royale is usually just a splash of Chambord to a glass of top tier champagne! ... They would pour the Chambord with no coaxing at the Elite upper HH bar! ... 🙂 ...

6 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Guava Berry Liquor.

Remember seeing this, but never tasted it.

Blue Curacao when we visited the island of Curacao. 

Sampled this during a tour at their factory, bought it, and I think it is still somewhere in my pantry.  

This thread has brought to my mind of a bottle of a Dutch Chocolate Mint liquor that I bought many years ago and is still in storage somewhere.  There may be a box of such stuff from A. H. Riise in St. Thomas from a cruise long ago.

I suppose alcoholic beverages that have that kind of age on them ought to still be good to drink.  Yes?  No?  

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Remember seeing this, but never tasted it.

Sampled this during a tour at their factory, bought it, and I think it is still somewhere in my pantry.  

This thread has brought to my mind of a bottle of a Dutch Chocolate Mint liquor that I bought many years ago and is still in storage somewhere.  There may be a box of such stuff from A. H. Riise in St. Thomas from a cruise long ago.

I suppose alcoholic beverages that have that kind of age on them ought to still be good to drink.  Yes?  No?  

We too took the tour of the factory and saw the dried orange skins they used to make it....And yes we too brought it in the gift shop after the tour. One Blue and other Orange color.

I remember A.H. very well. Buy 4 bottles and get one made in the USVI added to the box. I always made a stop for hard stuff and my DW for perfume. What a selection they had. Thk's for mentioning.

I have many bottles even from my father's collection when we cleared his house out  and I am still using them. I think the alcohol is the preserving factor. Wines I think is different.

When I see sediment on the bottle's bottom, it's done.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

This thread has brought to my mind

Here is another story ... at the start of an Azamara cruise we were in a chat with a bartender about Sauvignon Blanc ... he mentioned a few names that were in his inventory and one of them was Joel Gott Sauvignon Blanc ...

We had just been to an onshore wine shop's wine tasting where Joel Gott was present and signed bottles for us ... he had chatted with us so we were up for Joel Gott's wines!  ... the bartender said to the cocktail server 'watch the bar' ... he took off saying he was going to look for Joel! ... 🙂 ...

About a half an hour later he came back and said he found the only 2 bottles on the ship and his manager said he could keep them in "his" bar ... 🙂 ... what service!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, GlobalMethod said:

Joel Gott Sauvignon Blanc ..

Not familiar with this wine.  I Googled it and liked what I learned.  I assumed you were impressed?  How did it compare to The Crossings, Villa Maria, etc. of New Zealand?

This wine's listed price is less than I pay for The Crossings, but what I pay for Villa Maria.  

8 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

How did it compare to The Crossings, Villa Maria, etc. of New Zealand?

Nothing can compare to the Sauvignon Blancs from Marborough County, New Zealand in my opinion.

Joel Gott treated us so well personally we felt we should drink his wine at that time ... everyone at the bar cracked up laughing when the bartender made a check of each patron and said he was going to look for Joel! ... 🙂 ... so more of a loyalty request on our part than a request based on overall wine taste. We did think it was good bang for the buck!

• Like 1

On 3/18/2021 at 8:23 PM, rkacruiser said:

rkacruiser,

Speaking of AH Riise, have you ever tried the local rum by USVI. Cruzan Rum at 151 proof.

They always try to sell it as the 5 bottle in the box. And give a sample to try. WOW...

We got it once but only used it for baking or flambe's but later gave to a friend that used it with Coke & Rum. Never tasted something so strong. 

On 3/16/2021 at 6:07 AM, GlobalMethod said:

Great Topic! ... When we are on Azamara where I usually like the dinner deserts offered, I willl usually stop by the bar after dinner for a "nightcap" ... usually Irish Whisky or American Bourbon ...

when on Celebrity where I usually don't like the dinner desert selection I order a Mudslide as a desert replacement ... it is a glass rimmed with chocolate and filled with a creamy drink of Baileys, Kahlua and cream.

While it is so good it is more than just an excuse to have booze for dessert ... it's the only excuse I need ... 🙂 ...

The mudslide is my go-to vacation drink while at the pool or beach. Though I've always had the chocolate swirled throughout the drink (including on Celebrity Summit but at the outdoor pool bar). It is like a dessert! My keto diet takes a break on vacation 😁

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

rkacruiser,

Speaking of AH Riise, have you ever tried the local rum by USVI. Cruzan Rum at 151 proof.

They always try to sell it as the 5 bottle in the box. And give a sample to try. WOW...

We got it once but only used it for baking or flambe's but later gave to a friend that used it with Coke & Rum. Never tasted something so strong. 

I have drunk Cruzan Rum, but not at that proof.  

11 hours ago, GlobalMethod said:

Nothing can compare to the Sauvignon Blancs from Marborough County, New Zealand in my opinion.

Joel Gott treated us so well personally we felt we should drink his wine at that time ... everyone at the bar cracked up laughing when the bartender made a check of each patron and said he was going to look for Joel! ... 🙂 ... so more of a loyalty request on our part than a request based on overall wine taste. We did think it was good bang for the buck!

At the price I have found online for the wine and with a Wine Spectator rating of 92, your comment about "it was good bang for the buck" is right.  My next visit to my wine store--which for my area, has a very wide selection of wines--I will "search" and if nothing found, I'll speak to a Manager.

I have subscribed to Wine Spectator for a number of years and I am aware that there is some debate about the "grade" that is awarded to some of the wines that are evaluated.  I dropped my subscription a couple of years ago; just was getting too many publications that were not getting read.  Do you have an opinion about the Wine Spectator ratings?  

11 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Do you have an opinion about the Wine Spectator ratings?  

Yes, I do have an opinion ... no rating can compare to your own palate. If 'you' like it, that should be enough, and if 'you' don't like it then forget it ...

Now ... 🙂 ... our exchange on the Joel Gott Souvignon Blanc has got my wife and I in the mood for drinking it! She reminded me that it had a wonderful "nose" ... 🙂 ... on reflection I must agree ... now we wish we could get it here in Greece! Unfortunately, we will probably have to wait until our next cruise, possibly with Azamara out of Greece in November.

To Good Times for Wine and Happy Travels! ... 🙂 ...

15 hours ago, GlobalMethod said:

Yes, I do have an opinion ... no rating can compare to your own palate. If 'you' like it, that should be enough, and if 'you' don't like it then forget it ...

I agree!!!!!

To Good Times for Wine and Happy Travels! ... 🙂 ...

The same wishes to you as well, sir!

• Like 1

On 2/14/2021 at 5:02 PM, rkacruiser said:

I was unaware of Peppermint Schnapps.  I researched the difference between Creme de Menthe and Peppermint Schnapps.  Other than the Schnapps having more alcohol, it ought to have been OK.  But, I wonder, may have the bartender served me that which I found to be so very strong?  I may have mispoke in Post #19 about the green liquid being Italian.  I am not sure that it really was Italian and may have assumed that it was.  

Whatever it was, as an after dinner drink and was really a night-cap, I didn't need much more alcohol than I had already consumed that evening.  

Possible green(ish) liquors/liqueurs include Chartreuse or Absinthe, although if he served you Absinthe as a shot—well, that's just criminal. It's meant to be diluted with ice water because the proof is very high.

At the risk of making this cruise drink thread start to sound like an alcohol group therapy session, I will venture into the sub-topic of a pre-dinner cruise drink

After all, considering the kind of year we've had with no travel, it certainly seems like a discussion of pre-dinner, during dinner, and after dinner drink indulgences, is warranted! ... 🙂 ... I think I've had a comment on on all of the above but pre-dinner drinks.

My favorite pre-dinner drink is usually a Stoli Vodka Dirty Martini (3 oz vodka, 1/2 oz dry vermouth) with 3 green olives and a little extra olive juice (very dirty). Shaken with ice, never stirred, strained and poured into a martini glass!

Yes, my regular crusing bar bill is the reason I usually cruise with Azamara! ... 🙂 ...

6 hours ago, GlobalMethod said:
At the risk of making this cruise drink thread start to sound like an alcohol group therapy session, I will venture into the sub-topic of a pre-dinner cruise drink

After all, considering the kind of year we've had with no travel, it certainly seems like a discussion of pre-dinner, during dinner, and after dinner drink indulgences, is warranted! ... 🙂 ... I think I've had a comment on on all of the above but pre-dinner drinks.

My favorite pre-dinner drink is usually a Stoli Vodka Dirty Martini (3 oz vodka, 1/2 oz dry vermouth) with 3 green olives and a little extra olive juice (very dirty). Shaken with ice, never stirred, strained and poured into a martini glass!

Yes, my regular crusing bar bill is the reason I usually cruise with Azamara! ... 🙂 ...

Great topic.  I am all over the map...sometimes a mixed drink but usually I lean more towards a Tiki type drink.  Some of my favorites are Mai Tai, Singapore Sling, Planters Punch, Pina Colada, Scorpion Bowl, etc etc.  I love fruit juices with rum...Mojitos for sure.  Margaritas are always welcome.  My problem is that I can’t find a bartender who’ll comply.  I am now an MSC Yacht Club convert and my one complaint is they do not make enough of these types of drinks.   Hopefully the YC bartenders will become better versed as time goes by.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GlobalMethod said:

After all, considering the kind of year we've had with no travel, it certainly seems like a discussion of pre-dinner, during dinner, and after dinner drink indulgences, is warranted!

I'll drink to that comment!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Great topic.

Some of my favorites are Mai Tai, Singapore Sling, Planters Punch, Pina Colada, Scorpion Bowl, etc etc. Margaritas are always welcome.  My problem is that I can’t find a bartender who’ll comply.  I am now an MSC Yacht Club convert and my one complaint is they do not make enough of these types of drinks.   Hopefully the YC bartenders will become better versed as time goes by.  

Hi CGTNORMANDIE,

I too like Mai Tai's, Singapore Sling's and Pina Colada's. On Caribbean Cruises I liked Bahama Mama. And if you go on a Sailing with a trip to the Beach a Rum Punch. Some tours we experienced some Extraordinary Levels of RUM PUNCH's if you know what I mean.

QM2 do have BT's with the experience for all drinks and quite tasty too!

The only time I was disappointed with HAL, the last time we were on, I watched the BT make a Pina Colada. Instead of using individual ingredients to form the drink, it came out of 3 containers into a blender. It tasted like the short cut and not the true favors of a PC.... 

Hi CGTNORMANDIE,

I too like Mai Tai's, Singapore Sling's and Pina Colada's. On Caribbean Cruises I liked Bahama Mama. And if you go on a Sailing with a trip to the Beach a Rum Punch. Some tours we experienced some Extraordinary Levels of RUM PUNCH's if you know what I mean.

QM2 do have BT's with the experience for all drinks and quite tasty too!

The only time I was disappointed with HAL, the last time we were on, I watched the BT make a Pina Colada. Instead of using individual ingredients to form the drink, it came out of 3 containers into a blender. It tasted like the short cut and not the true favors of a PC.... 

Hi BB,

Great to hear that you can get a Tiki drink on QM2.  Your HAL BT was prepared to make the Pina Coladas in quantity.  Unfortunately if you don’t get the mixture just right you end up with something less.  (Funny story)  Once upon a time I acquired a Chinese restaurant and converted it into a pub style restaurant.  The Chinese place came with about eight different hand writtenTiki recipes.  One of those recipes was for a Pina Colada.  It called for fresh pineapple and all the usual ingredients but their secret was 1/2 ounce of Creme de Cacao.  This made the best Pina Colada I have ever had!  

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, CntPAcruiser said:

I wonder, may have the bartender served me that which I found to be so very strong?

I also had a 'phase' where I drank peppermint schnapps ... I owned a restaurant/bar with entertainment and one of my favorite bands that performed sipped on Rumple Minze Peppermint Schnapps from Germany. Being a sociable guy I also started 'sipping' ... I liked their story behind this schnapps ... it was "good for their pipes" (singing) ... I also liked that it was good for the breath as I would circulate around the business chatting with customers ... as you say it was so strong it really needed to be slowly sipped!

21 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

3 containers into a blender.

That has been the "norm" for some time on cruise lines such as HAL, Princess, Carnival, and MSC based on what I have observed.  This observation applies to several tropical drink mixes such as Strawberry Daiquiris.  

• Like 1

I also had a 'phase' where I drank peppermint schnapps ... I owned a restaurant/bar with entertainment and one of my favorite bands that performed sipped on Rumple Minze Peppermint Schnapps from Germany. Being a sociable guy I also started 'sipping' ... I liked their story behind this schnapps ... it was "good for their pipes" (singing) ... I also liked that it was good for the breath as I would circulate around the business chatting with customers ... as you say it was so strong it really needed to be slowly sipped!

A shot of Rumple Mintz and a tall cold draft beer...mmmmmm...just right.

• Like 1

On 3/23/2021 at 5:13 AM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Hi BB,

Great to hear that you can get a Tiki drink on QM2.  Your HAL BT was prepared to make the Pina Coladas in quantity.  Unfortunately if you don’t get the mixture just right you end up with something less.  (Funny story)  Once upon a time I acquired a Chinese restaurant and converted it into a pub style restaurant.  The Chinese place came with about eight different hand writtenTiki recipes.  One of those recipes was for a Pina Colada.  It called for fresh pineapple and all the usual ingredients but their secret was 1/2 ounce of Creme de Cacao.  This made the best Pina Colada I have ever had!  

i miss the old fashion chinese restaurants with the green leather booths.

Sorry to say our area has lost the traditional chinese restaurant like those in the 50's 60's and 70's. Those had about  20 different drinks that were fruity and decorated with those small umbrellas.

We do in Brooklyn have three area of China Towns now. But their style is like China Town in Lower Manhattan and also China Style. They of course don't go into these drinks. Hot Tea in Clear Glasses is served. Not even those very small tea cups. Those were for American's.

Off subject..... I like Jasmine Tea as my Hot Tea Choice...

• Like 1