British government bans cruising

Well, effectively they have in two senses. The FCO (foreign and commonwealth office) have extended their travel advice to say that all cruise travel should be avoided. This will mean that travel insurance will be impossible to obtain for UK residents wishing to cruise and thus, for most people, end their plans for the time being ( there is no time limit). Secondly the announcement appears to say that no cruise ships will be allowed to embark/disembark in the UK for the time being. 

There may be a limit to the impact given that most UK cruises were already cancelled until October anyway.

Those of us in the U.S. are not familiar with what these organizations in the UK do.  What is their purpose?  What happens if someone goes against their recommendations?  Is it only insurance that is affected?  If Regent cancels a cruise for someone living in Europe, do you have a choice of FCC's or a refund (and, do you have to pay in full in order to get FCC's).  

It is obvious to me that everything depends upon science and numbers.  If cases of the virus is going down in October, the EU may reopen.  

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Travelcat2 said:

Those of us in the U.S. are not familiar with what these organizations in the UK do.  What is their purpose?  What happens if someone goes against their recommendations?  Is it only insurance that is affected?  If Regent cancels a cruise for someone living in Europe, do you have a choice of FCC's or a refund (and, do you have to pay in full in order to get FCC's).  

It is obvious to me that everything depends upon science and numbers.  If cases of the virus is going down in October, the EU may reopen.  

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) in the UK is similar  in function to the U.S  State Department. 

IF everyone paid attention to protocols, the Covid-19 infections could be way down by October (look at what China, Italy, and many parts of Asia accomplished in just a couple of months).  Agree that everything has to do with science and numbers.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

As already stated the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) is one of the senior UK governmental departments - more commonly referred to as 'The Foreign Office'. 

In the context of travel the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) in the UK gives advice - to quote their website :-

“about travelling abroad, including the latest information on coronavirus, safety and security, entry requirements and travel warnings”.

Their website https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice  lists advice about each country individually, in addition to more general advice.

The implications of this ‘advice’ is that :-

-        most Travel Insurance policies may be voided, if one travels against FCO advice.

-        the FCO advice is generally accepted by the travel insurance industry as a justifiable reason for a consumer to cancel a trip, and claim on insurance.

The USA & Canada are included in the FCO's ‘advise against all but essential travel’ category.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2020 at 5:06 AM, machotspur said:

-        most Travel Insurance policies may be voided, if one travels against FCO advice.

-        the FCO advice is generally accepted by the travel insurance industry as a justifiable reason for a consumer to cancel a trip, and claim on insurance.

This is interesting, because in my US-based policy, any loss due to "any government regulation or prohibition" is specifically excluded from coverage.  There may be a policy in the US that would cover this, but I am unaware of any.

2 hours ago, SusieQft said:

This is interesting, because in my US-based policy, any loss due to "any government regulation or prohibition" is specifically excluded from coverage.  There may be a policy in the US that would cover this, but I am unaware of any.

Are you referring to Regent’s policy or your insurance policy?  If you are speaking of Regent’s policy (or contract), the  UK has consumer protection laws that we do not have in the U.S.   If you are referring to an insurance policy, I suspect that the reasoning would be the same.  I’m sure that someone from the UK could give better details.

6 hours ago, SusieQft said:

My coverage (Canada) will cover a travel claim as long as the reservation was made prior to the date of the Government of Canada’s advisories on international travel and cruise ship travel.

Insurance companies in the UK are excluding Covid from all new policies inc wedding insurance 

Over 70s have been advised not to cruise 

They have allowed River Cruising because of fewer numbers on each cruise 

The big issue they are not facing is the huge differende betweencica 800 on Regent with big ships on other lines where 3000 or 4000 or 5000 passengers