The Bistro- Off topic and fun posts!

Host Dan

10 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

When I last posted a photo from my 2016 trip that featured Crystal Symphony to Antarctica I was on QM2 approaching Southampton.  On January 10 I transferred to Queen Victoria and January 12 was our second sea day on the way to Ponta Delgada and onwards to Fort Lauderdale.

dawn0112.jpg

Now if you wonder why I was on Cunard for 3 weeks before boarding a Crystal cruise out of Buenos Aires I was hedging my bets.  I did not want to be flying from Maryland in the middle of winter to board a bucket list cruise and took the sea route to Florida so I could board a pretty reliable nonstop.  It turned out to be a good decision as we had snowmageddon the day I would have left home.  I think about 3 feet which Maryland does NOT take in stride.

Oops, actually only about 2 1/2 feet.

Roy

Nicely done! Risk calculation paid off.

• Like 1

Did you all watch one or more of The Back To The Future Movies.  I enjoyed them.

I wish we could all travel to the future. That way we could see how COVID-19 played out as well as the situation with Genting.  That could bring either good, so-so or bad news, but at least we would know.

The closest thing I came to this was in College.  Somehow one of my college Roommates a few years after graduating was given a DeLorean and I got to ride in it a few times.  The other time was the Back To The Future Ride at Universal Studios in California.

Maybe if this was not possible we could get a Crystal Ball instead and look at the Future.

If anyone else has other ideas please share them.  

Keith

• Like 3

On 1/13/2022 at 10:52 AM, Keith1010 said:

Did you all watch one or more of The Back To The Future Movies.  I enjoyed them.

I wish we could all travel to the future. That way we could see how COVID-19 played out as well as the situation with Genting.  That could bring either good, so-so or bad news, but at least we would know.

The closest thing I came to this was in College.  Somehow one of my college Roommates a few years after graduating was given a DeLorean and I got to ride in it a few times.  The other time was the Back To The Future Ride at Universal Studios in California.

Maybe if this was not possible we could get a Crystal Ball instead and look at the Future.

If anyone else has other ideas please share them.  

Keith

Not a DeLorean exactly but some very nice transportation in a wooden shoe. Carly Simon's sister Lucy put this to music in the late 1950s. This is kind of  a trip both backward and forward in time (and on the sea). Enjoy! The poem is by Eugene Field (American, 1889):

Wynken, Blynken, and Nod one night
   Sailed off in a wooden shoe,—
Sailed on a river of crystal light
   Into a sea of dew.
"Where are you going, and what do you wish?"
   The old moon asked the three.
"We have come to fish for the herring-fish
   That live in this beautiful sea;
   Nets of silver and gold have we,"
            Said Wynken,
            Blynken,
            And Nod.

The old moon laughed and sang a song,
   As they rocked in the wooden shoe;
And the wind that sped them all night long
   Ruffled the waves of dew;
The little stars were the herring-fish
   That lived in the beautiful sea.
"Now cast your nets wherever you wish,—
   Never afraid are we!"
   So cried the stars to the fishermen three,
            Wynken,
            Blynken,
            And Nod.

All night long their nets they threw
   To the stars in the twinkling foam,—
Then down from the skies came the wooden shoe,
   Bringing the fishermen home:
'Twas all so pretty a sail, it seemed
   As if it could not be;
And some folk thought 'twas a dream they'd dreamed
   Of sailing that beautiful sea;
   But I shall name you the fishermen three:
            Wynken,
            Blynken,
            And Nod.

Wynken and Blynken are two little eyes,
   And Nod is a little head,
And the wooden shoe that sailed the skies
   Is a wee one's trundle-bed;
So shut your eyes while Mother sings
   Of wonderful sights that be,
And you shall see the beautiful things
   As you rock in the misty sea
   Where the old shoe rocked the fishermen three:—
            Wynken,
            Blynken,
            And Nod.

Edited by mskatiemae
  • Like 6

Today is International snow day and it's forecast here this afternoon.  It seems appropriate that today's sunrise is from the 2016 Queen Victoria transatlantic that saved me from flying from Baltimore to a bucket list cruise on the day of one of our worst snowstorms in history.  January 16, 2016 was a sea day between Puerto Delgado and Port Canaveral:

dawn0116.jpg

Roy

• Like 4

Well it's a long weekend here, so had to spif up the menu a little (sort of like BTO night, except mediocre bistro style): Eggs Benedict for brunch.

I sous vided the eggs instead of poaching.  First time I've done that, so there was suspense and trepidation.  Turned out really well, and so much easier.  Finished with blender hollandaise, another labor saver.

And no, the hollandaise was not served on the side.  It wasn't lacquered to the eggs, either.  I think I'll put this on the menu as "The Vince."

PS: when proofing this note, I realized I first spelled BTO as OTB.  Must have been a nod to my misspent youth. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Prayers 🙏 to the wonderful citizens of Tonga. Our visit there aboard Symphony in 2014 is a day I’ll not soon forget. It remains one of my personal favorites when it comes to places we’ve been privileged to visit in our travels. All because of the truly wonderful people who call Tonga home. 👍

• Like 6

I have a sunset rather than a sunrise today.  It's from the start of my last long trip, my 2020 attempt to circle the globe without flying.  My schedule did not really permit doing it all by cruise ship so I started with the train across America.  On January 17, 2020 I was on Amtrak's Southwest Chief in New Mexico:

dusk0117.jpg

Roy

• Like 5

Today's sunset is another from my 2016 Queen Victoria transatlantic that saved me from flying out of Baltimore in the middle of snowmageddon.  January 18 was a snow day more or less midway between Puerto Delgado and Port Canaveral.

dusk1118.jpg

Roy

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, KenzSailing said:

Heads up US residents: news you can use.

Go out to usps.com/testkits, fill in your name and address, hit enter and they'll mail you four free Covid at-home test kits.  Kits start to ship late January.

Couldn’t you wait till tomorrow to spill the beans.  

this was supposed to be our secret.

LOL

Keith

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

Well the good news with all of the concerns about financial no one is asking about how many people tested positive for Covid.   You see bad things bring good things.

Just saying 

Keith 

...Or what kind of pants anyone was wearing/not wearing/allegedly wore in Waterside.

Vince

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, hubbards said:

don’t bother trying that website, it’s broken (already)

I've already made many cynical jokes about it myself, but in fairness it doesn't officially launch until tomorrow.  The links were only open for limited use on a test basis today.  Not everyone that pinged any of the sites or links was let in at all hours through the day.

[Edited to add:  Reserving the right to joke about it tomorrow when it actually crashes post-launch.]. 😁 

Vince

Edited by BWIVince
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Couldn’t you wait till tomorrow to spill the beans.  

this was supposed to be our secret.

LOL

Keith

Well, I was having an ice cream with a guy named Joe who gave me a hot tip.  Man, he's got some cool Ray-Bans.

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, KenzSailing said:

Well, I was having an ice cream with a guy named Joe who gave me a hot tip.  Man, he's got some cool Ray-Bans.

I went to the site you posted earlier this evening on my phone and in less than 60 sec I was done and confirmed. 

Faster and easier than web services from private enterprises that I've used. I have been impressed with the USPS and their online tools. Not too happy with FedEx and UPS. However having updates/tracking is cool for all these!

• Like 2