The Bistro- Off topic and fun posts!

Host Dan

We have a new grand-pup.

New addition to our son's family arrived on Friday.

We now have two grand-pups one grand kitty and of course five grand-children.

Time goes fast and I remember when the older grand-pup was young and like out of that movie Marley and me but in due time calmed down.  

Now we have another one to shop for.

Keith

IMG_6956.jpeg.6102efcc51a1830c193684520e06b7a3.jpeg

• Like 8

Today's sunrise is my earliest ever, taken on my one cruise aboard SS Rotterdam V.  It was taken August 14, 1997 as we steamed the inland passage from Seward to Vancouver.  It was my first cruise with Rick Spath:

IMG0010.JPG.f6cb8121f9eab66e61b25250e488

Roy

• Like 5

16 hours ago, May B said:

Can we please see the degree of doneness?

Sure, I cooked this to a food safe (for ground beef) 165F.  I have a fancy constant-read thermometer thingie that I use to monitor proteins.  I can track the  cook from my phone, ipad and even Windows desktop.  Pretty neat really.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, May B said:

Moi aussi, por favor.

What degree of doneness is the steak?

About that steak:

Cooked to a medium rare 131F.  No photos, it didn't deserve memorialization.  Now, I know "a poor craftsperson blames their tools" but....The steak was a bone in filet acquired from a premium online vendor.  As soon as I took it out of the package my heart sank.  There was a substantial vein of fat running right thru it.  In a filet, the leanest cut of all.  I did my best, but even the Chez couldn't revive that baby.

Oh well, a first time ever adventure for evening's cook as our weekend of magnificent weather draws to a close.

• Like 3

Misadventures in Cooking: Grills Just Want to Have Fun

Today's Episode: Spatchcock of the Walk

After Saturday's flame out of a thoroughly mediocre steak (hey, at least it was expensive,) the staff at the Chez needed a strong final performance to close out the weekend.  And boy howdy, did they come thru.  Feast your eyes:

IMG_0211.thumb.jpg.6f1e73ff28bddd5a55081a7f09889255.jpg

IMG_0212.thumb.jpg.da5b0a66a879564f6c1dd6cdc950bb33.jpg

I think it was Brian who years ago asked me if I had ever spatchcocked a chicken.  Well, I can now answer in the affirmative. It turned out really, really well.  Approx 4.5 lbs of chickeny goodness.  (This is what ceramic cookers are especially good at, turning out a bird like this with both crispy skin and moist succulent meat.)

The cook:

24 hour dry brine with kosher salt

Pepper and garlic powder sprinkle just before cooking 

Onto a 400F grill

Cook until breast and thigh register 165F (took about 45 minutes)

Let rest for 5 minutes, carve, enjoy

Side note: removing the backbone of a bird that size is not as easy as the Youtube videos make it out to be (nothing ever is.)  Good thing I have a pair of very sharp kitchen shears. 

Side note: the whole undertaking reminded me of that old country/western song "You Stomped on my Heart and Squashed that Sucker Flat."

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Today's sunrise is from a 2013 trip to Atlantic Canada.  On August 16 I was on an early morning bus on the way to Baltimore's Amtrak station and MS Veendam out of Boston.

dawn0816.jpg

BTW, it looks like in the last 24 hours Serenity has moved slightly, I think into a drydock.

Roy

• Like 4

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

BTW, it looks like in the last 24 hours Serenity has moved slightly, I think into a drydock.

Roy

That's interesting...  MarineTraffic is still showing both ships moored at the pier, but considering the dry dock that Serenity would fit in is adjacent to that pier she's showing at, I wouldn't bet anything on MT's precision.  🤷‍♂️ 

Vince

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Today's sunrise is from a 2013 trip to Atlantic Canada.  On August 16 I was on an early morning bus on the way to Baltimore's Amtrak station and MS Veendam out of Boston.

dawn0816.jpg

Roy

Roy too early for an actual dry dock.

Keith

On 8/15/2022 at 9:11 AM, KenzSailing said:

I think it was Brian who years ago asked me if I had ever spatchcocked a chicken. 

Congrats on what looks to be a great virgin experience spatchcocking that bird. 👍

With your country music reference, did you serve with tater tots or grits? 🤔

1 hour ago, BEAV said:

Congrats on what looks to be a great virgin experience spatchcocking that bird. 👍

With your country music reference, did you serve with tater tots or grits? 🤔

Thanks.  I'll answer your question by quoting the great Roy Blount Jr: " a southerner is someone who will argue whether you say grits is or grits are, and insist that it matters."

• Like 3

6 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

Shoot.  We booked it so long ago, that it took me until today to realize we had been scheduled to board Crystal Serenity yesterday, LA-NYC, 18 nights.  I has a sad.

We were too - I had really been looking forward to that one.... Chucked the paperwork out only a couple of days ago.🙁

Adrian 

• Like 3

We were also on that sailing.  Originally we were starting in Vancouver but then revised it to start in Los Angeles.   After time in New York City we would have gone to Montreal to pick up Endeavor and sail down to West Palm Beach.  

But now we get to stay home where we have temperatures of 100 degrees (F) and no rain.  But look at all of the money we are saving plus we can pretend we are in The Middle East.    😀

OK so the good news.  After a forecasted high of 101 (F) today the next several days have highs of only between 90 and 95 degrees with rain (what is that?) in the forecast.  

The other good news is we will cruise although not as soon as we planned.

And the final good news is I am using our Trager Pellet Grill a ton more than I ever expected.  🤗🤔

Life is good.

Keith

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

We were also on that sailing.

Goodness - I wonder how many others from the clutch (the collective for CC forumites?) had spotted that cruise as a cracker - even without taking account of the travelling alumni booked onto it!?

We could have guaranteed at least 3 at the CC meet and mingle. (subject to paddleboard / spinning / BBQ tasting event / 'Who can eat the most fries' competition / knitting class commitments.)

• Like 6

Here in Portland, ME the large ship season has started.  The 2nd large ship has arrived.  We've had the small American Lines ships for a while now.  However, on the ballot in November in Portland is a rule that would prohibit more that 1000 people to get off a ship (passengers and crew included).  This is similar to Bar Harbor, Me.  There is some question if this is legal but.. Wouldn't effect the new sized Crystal ships I assume but.

• Like 3