The Bistro- Off topic and fun posts!

Host Dan

18 hours ago, KenzSailing said:  The TR has a $35 burger on the menu.  Watching the kitchen I learned that they sell a LOT of $35 burgers.  If the Chez could do the same, I'd be booking CP the rest of our lives. 

If a $35 Chez Burger will put you into a CP, I’ll buy. But only once….

(Hope cheese isn’t extra 🤔

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, BEAV said:

If a $35 Chez Burger will put you into a CP, I’ll buy. But only once….

(Hope cheese isn’t extra 🤔

Ah, mon ami, you're on the XXP list.  That means TWO slices of Kraft Singles on your burger, on the house.  Added bonus: the frites will be hot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/5/2022 at 2:17 PM, Texas Tillie said:

Think I remember he said that he's taking his car to Florida by train, will be there several days, doing a cruise on Holland America (Eurodam, I think) and then train and car back north.

Yes, I thought about posting to the "Where are you cruising" thread, but it didn't  seem to fit.  In the mean time with Nicole approaching, memories of New York aack.nd Sandy are flooding back.

Rou

• Like 3

Part The End:  Nuuu Yawk City!

This Episode:  Until Next Time

Mood:

So, our last day in NYC.  It was short and functional.  OLoPP retrieved a brief breakfast repast from the to-go joint in the lobby(side note: the Hilton does that stuff well, which I would hope they would, as they've eliminated room service.  Side side note: OLoPP had to do the deed as, in an effort to cut down on my packing, I only packed dress shoes.  Even I am not enough of a fashion heathen to clomp down to the lobby in black dress shoes wearing workout shorts and a t-shirt.) 

Then it was the pack and cleanup routine.  Followed by a rather harrowing cab ride to the Moynihan train hall(not exaggerating, we've been in the back of cabs in a few parts of this old globe.  This guy's gas pedal and brake technique was...unique.  Verstappen could learn a thing or two from him.)

Anyway, we made it.  Into the Moynie(tm) we went.  Now, those of you bored enough to have read my prior ramblings will know we splurged on Acela first class.  This got us into what Amtrak now calls the Metropolitan Lounge(used to be Club Acela.)  The old Club Acela was appropriate for the old Penn Station:  there was nothing charming about it.  I was a low ceilinged bunker, stuck in the corner of the larger bunker that is Penn Station.  The Metro Lounge?   It's a total WOW.  An enormous space on the second floor of the Moynie(tm) with huge windows over looking the train hall, which itself is a wonderful light filled space.  It even has a balcony space long and deep enough for tables and chairs should you wish to bask in the to-and-fro of the hall below a little more immediately.  I know I'm going on and on about a train station, but it's a comfort to know we can and will still build things in this country that are both beautiful and functional , rather than just settling for the functional.   Oh, also, the ML has an expansive selection of goodies and drinks.  I can't provide any detail on this, as we were quite sated from our NY stay, and did not venture close to the offerings. Protip: when you get to the top of the escalator and you enter the lounge, the nice lady at the booth will inspect your ticket.  If you desire Red Cap service to the train tell her and give your name at this point.  Pro ProTip: get the Red Cap Service: they will get you on your train first, and make sure your luggage is stored conveniently for you to retrieve.  You can also tell them to arrange Red Caps at your destination(although this can be a little spotty.)

Almost forgot my one gripe about the Moynie(tm.)  We were departing NY on a Sunday, so I figured I'd pick up a NY Times at the station, last me all the way to DC(and beyond.)  I went down to the main floor, walked past TWO different places selling designer chocolates(not talking Godiva), a fresh flower stand, and more than half a dozen froo-froo coffee places, only two of which were Starbucks.  I even found a Duane Reade, which didn't sell newspapers. I could not locate a Sunday NY Times at a train station in NEW YORK CITY.  Suddenly I'm back to despairing for civilization.   

Our train ride: as serene as our ride up was, the ride home was...not.  First class was filled with a delegation from somewhere or the other, undoubtedly headed to some conference in DC(another day ending in Y in our nation's capital.)  They were not sitting together, and were mighty unhappy about that.  After many trips up and down the car by the guy who was clearly handling things for them pestering the attendant, the attendant had to summon the conductor for help. Finally, somewhere south of Philly, the situation was resolved to everyone's apparent satisfaction.  Note: we both had the antipasti plate, and it was surprisingly good.        

After that: a quick ride share home on another gorgeous DC day(we had immense good weather fortune on this trip) and we settled back into reality.

PS: the above version of "We'll Meet Again" closes the great Stanley Kubrick film Dr Strangelove.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, May B said:

Wonderful report, KenzS. Looking forward to all of your next adventures!

Thank you May, I appreciate the kind words.

Also, there's a brief recap of "A Weekend in the Country" aka OLoPP's  Big Birthday Bash coming at some point.

Quick peek: it was a resounding success.

• Like 2

Today's sunrise really is today.  It was taken on MS Eurodam looking between the forward life rafts as we were passing Haiti on the way to Aruba.

dawn1112.jpg

I have been walking less since my heart valve incident last year but this voyage has reminded me of how critical a real promenade deck is to my enjoyment of cruising. I'm not not sure if the new Crystal will work for me but am now certain that I will not be looking at other luxury lines.

Roy

• Like 7

On 11/16/2022 at 8:35 PM, KenzSailing said:

Well this does surprise me:

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/28788-disney-cruise-line-acquires-unfinished-global-dream.html

Theory is that Disney will home port out of HK or Shanghai, where they have parks.

That makes sense.  I had been wondering why they would go this route.

Keith

• Like 1