The Bistro- Off topic and fun posts!

Host Dan

19 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

From what I've heard, he might be a little optimistic. It does seem that most who have been vaccinated that much don't get very sick.

Will be interested on your Silver Moon experience since my Silver Muse experience wasn't good. Silversea seems to be much more ship specific on the experience, which is disappointing, as the experience should be consistent fleet wide.

Patty

We have friends doing the full 69 day circumnavigation on Moon. Other than the "throwback" Formal night dress code (Tux/suit/jacket, tie mandatory at the three main restaurants) They have been enjoying themselves. Not sure why Silversea has gone more Formal when almost the entire industry is going the other way.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2023 at 10:34 AM, Roland4 said:

It actually turned out quite well. A little less thick than in Prego, and I suspect that was from the "missing" bread bowl. Really not that difficult to make. 🙂

It also reduces slightly as it sits/holds through service...  I'm sure you all ate it closer to immediately, if I can remember what it's like to have a bowl of that within reach.  🙂 

On 1/9/2023 at 6:40 PM, KenzSailing said:

Yo @BWIVince, if you've got HBO, I've got a movie recommendation: "The Menu."  Call it a biting satire, definitely a black comedy, it's a critical look at class(the social construct, not manners), wealth, but mostly, foodie culture. And wow does it hit its mark(with a sledgehammer, not a rapier.)  You'll recognize many of the characters who populate it.  I know I did and yes, I may, on occasion, have been one of them.  Also, it stars Ralph Fiennes, who's always a fun watch.

And, as you're watching, think about this:

https://www.bonappetit.com/story/noma-restaurant-closing

I will definitely check it out!  Thanks for the tip!!

On 1/14/2023 at 6:25 PM, KenzSailing said:

Welp, the fishmonger's scallop delivery did not come in.  So I'm steaming some mussels tonight.  Have never done it, but it doesn't look like it could be any easier.  Just wish I had a baguette to accompany.

I LOVE steaming mussels -- a (net) bag of them almost called to me the last time I was in Wegman's.  Minus the scrubbing/prep, they're super easy to work with, and you can be as creative as you like with the ingredients.  Yeah, I know that's true of any food, but you know what I mean.

On 1/17/2023 at 12:22 PM, KenzSailing said:

Well shoot.  Going to have to hang the Closed sign on the Chez's front door for a bit, as, after almost three years of run and hide, the evil 'Rona  has caught the proprietor.  OLoPP remains in the clear. 

Symptoms are thankfully mild.  Congestion, runny nose, mild headache, occasional light chills.  Consulted with my doc and he recommends not starting Paxlovid unless my symptoms worsen.  Hope to be right as rain in three-four days.  Will admit our masking regimen has gotten pretty relaxed, however we are max vaxed and boosted, and glad for that.

Heard at the Chez this morning:

OLoPP to Chef: "Do you think you have brain fog?"

Chef: "No more than usual."

Oh no -- hope you're starting to feel better soon!  I had the flu all last week (tested negative for Covid multiple times), with worse symptoms than that, so hopefully you'll be 100% again quickly.

In the meantime, we're here to take care of you for a change!  I think I have a box of Hamburger Helper around here somewhere...  (No, I don't.)

Vince

• Like 3

So here I am on day four of "Ridin' with Rona."  Can't say what I was thinking when I called this mild(must have been the brain fog.) I may put together a post on another thread about OTC meds I've used to address it, but I'll just leave a cursory update here.  Around noon today is the first time I haven't felt like hammered scallopine, but I'm still moving mighty slowly.

I cannot imagine going thru this on a cruise, confined to cabin, hearing my vacation dollars going down the (pressure operated) drain.    

Yeah, we may be thru with Rona.  Rona ain't thru with us.

Edited by KenzSailing
typo
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, KenzSailing said:

So here I am on day four of "Ridin' with Rona."  Can't say what I was thinking when I called this mild(must have been the brain fog.) I may put together a post on another thread about OTC meds I've used to address it, but I'll just leave a cursory update here.  Around noon today is the first time I haven't felt like hammered scallopine, but I'm still moving mighty slowly.

I cannot imagine going thru this on a cruise, confined to cabin, hearing my vacation dollars going down the (pressure operated) drain.    

Yeah, we may be thru with Rona.  Rona ain't thru with us.

I really hope you turn the corner here soon and start feeling better Ken!

I totally get the loss of vacation perspective, but I kind of had the opposite view when I was sick last week...  I was wishing I was confined to a cruise ship cabin instead of my house, where I could have free meals dropped off, fresh towels and amenities dropped, and I could take long, steamy showers without having to worry about the water bill (and if it was Crystal, better water pressure than my 2.5gpm fixtures here).  Plus the slower internet on the ship would lower the expectations everyone had for me to work while I was sick.  I totally get that YMMV here though.  🙂 

Vince

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BWIVince said:

I really hope you turn the corner here soon and start feeling better Ken!

I totally get the loss of vacation perspective, but I kind of had the opposite view when I was sick last week...  I was wishing I was confined to a cruise ship cabin instead of my house, where I could have free meals dropped off, fresh towels and amenities dropped, and I could take long, steamy showers without having to worry about the water bill (and if it was Crystal, better water pressure than my 2.5gpm fixtures here).  Plus the slower internet on the ship would lower the expectations everyone had for me to work while I was sick.  I totally get that YMMV here though.  🙂 

Vince

Amen to that, the two of us dodging each while masked, me unable to see her sunshine bright smile, pierces my heart.  Never knew I was such a softie.

Although trays left at the front door would have helped...

• Like 3

On 1/17/2023 at 12:45 PM, TheKingD said:

Oh no @KenzSailing!  When I tested positive back in July, my symptoms may have been even milder than yours because I though it was allergies.  I had apparently given it to DH before I realized I had it, and he blew through probably a dozen tests the  day after I was positive, because he just knew he had to have been infected.  About a day and a half later, he was up all night and definitely had it, and he tested positive that morning.  So make sure OLoPP still tests for a day or so.

Ditto on the brain fog.

Take care of yourself.

This was good advice.  Day four was yesterday for me and I'm  still a double striper.  Laurel however, was in the clear, but feeling a little draggy.  Tested her again today, and yep, now she's positive.  We're double masking, the whole bit.  Tough bug, this one.

I may be coming around to Vince's perspective about being on the boat and having room and board provided.  

3 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

This was good advice.  Day four was yesterday for me and I'm  still a double striper.  Laurel however, was in the clear, but feeling a little draggy.  Tested her again today, and yep, now she's positive.  We're double masking, the whole bit.  Tough bug, this one.

That's how it gets ya.  😞 I hope you start turning the corner soon, and that OLoPP hopefully doesn't quite go through what you have.

Vince

• Like 3

4 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

I may be coming around to Vince's perspective about being on the boat and having room and board provided.  

Even though, YOUR doc didn’t recommend Paxlovid, perhaps HERS will.

At my house, we are two old people and one immuno-compromised. We all use the same doc, and he prescribed it for all three of us.

And he was taught by Mr B in med. school, AND has proven himself to be staying VERY current with the literature. But again, of course, Vince taught me well: YMMV.

• Like 4

Feeling better. OLoPP still on the down slope(send thoughts and Robitussin).  Just got an email from our TA about a question regarding our upcoming RSSC cruise.  Feel they(RSSC) have dealt with us in a most under-handed fashion.  Will have to sleep on this, but wondering if these are people I want to do biz with(please spare the Crystal comments, as some conflate that brand with Genting.)  Will update as appropriate. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have a sunset today rather than a sunrise and it's not from a cruise ship but a true purpose built Ocean Liner, the original Queen Mary, then serving as a hotel in Long Beach.  January 21, 2020 was my last night there before boarding Crystal Serenity for part of her world cruise.

dusk0121.jpg

Roy

• Like 4

20 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

Feeling better. OLoPP still on the down slope(send thoughts and Robitussin).  Just got an email from our TA about a question regarding our upcoming RSSC cruise.  Feel they(RSSC) have dealt with us in a most under-handed fashion.  Will have to sleep on this, but wondering if these are people I want to do biz with(please spare the Crystal comments, as some conflate that brand with Genting.)  Will update as appropriate. 

Oh, no! Sorry to hear that OLoPP was on the downslope, last evening. I feel like those Riccola cough drops help me. Perhaps they could augment her Robitussin? I bought the honey lemon flavor.

And certainly not happy to hear you’re dealing with a travel challenge.

But definitely glad to hear you’re on the upswing.

Edited by May B
  • Like 1

I have another sunset today, this one from the 2019 Prinsendam Grand South America and Antarctica voyage.  On January 22 we sailed from San Antonio Chile heading for Robinson Crusoe Island:

dusk0122.jpg

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
  • Like 4

Not sure if I've been reckless or just awfully lucky.  My cruise and testing history:

Disembarked November 20

Negative PCR test November 30

Physical was scheduled for December 20

I took a PCR test December 16 hoping to have results before physical

Negative Antigen test December 19

Physical December 20

PCR tesults came back December 21, positive

When the contact tracer called December 22 I told him I had mild allergy symptoms for a few days before the test but nothing else.  He thought my transmissibility had probably passed by then and I could be out and about.

I never was fully quarantined; on December 21 I took a walk outside in my neighborhood where I could walk and never get within 50 feet of anybody while walking.  I could not do that on a cruise ship.  I also had some prescriptions and called the pharmacy.  They said I could call them from the curb and they would put them in the back of my car, although by the time I picked them up I was cleared to be out with a mask by the contact tracer.

Roy

• Like 3

Today's sunrise is the first onboard from my 2020 Crystal Serenity partial world cruise.  January 24 was our second sea day out of Los Angeles.  We thought at the time we were headed to Nuka Hiva but that evening we knew we were getting there via Cabo San Lucas for an emergency passenger medical evacuation.

dawn0124.jpg

Roy

• Like 4

Two years ago today, January 24, 2021, I flew to Hawaii on an empty wide-bodied United aircraft. From an equally empty San Francisco airport. 

✔️ Negative Covid test to bypass 10-day quarantine upon arrival. 

✔️ Jan 21 took Covid PCR test. 

✔️ Jan 22 received negative test result in late evening. 

✔️ Jan 23 booked flight and one month ocean view condo. Oh, and packed! 

✔️ Jan 24 flight  ✈️ to Honolulu. 

Glad we’re in a much better place, Covid-wise today (apologies KenzSailing!), but GAWD do I miss the spontaneity of booking last-minute trips! 

704603AF-253E-43C3-9B18-D5CFC8855AE2.jpeg

7BB80072-5F96-4CA0-A8E3-0C1BF417C283.jpeg

B3E8278D-BE0C-46D9-B504-74804C9D49C7.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1