The Bistro- Off topic and fun posts!

Host Dan

On 10/4/2020 at 9:03 AM, rafinmd said:

I crossed the Atlantic on a freighter, made some rail-ferry connections to Helsinki, and took the trans-Siberian railway to Beijing.  

Roy

Roy,

You remain one of the few bright lights on this increasingly benighted board.  Thank you.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

In October 2011 I started one of my stranger combinations.  I set sail October 1 through the Erie Canal on a Blount Small Ship Adventures from New York to Montreal (well most of it; floods had damaged a section of the canal and Blount was lucky enough to have a ship on each side of the break), then boarded the Crystal Symphony to take the ocean route back to New York.  October 6 was the day we had the bus bridge between ships and the sun came up very nicely over Little Falls, New York:

surnrislk7.jpg

Roy

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

In October 2011 I started one of my stranger combinations.  I set sail October 1 through the Erie Canal on a Blount Small Ship Adventures from New York to Montreal (well most of it; floods had damaged a section of the canal and Blount was lucky enough to have a ship on each side of the break), then boarded the Crystal Symphony to take the ocean route back to New York.  October 6 was the day we had the bus bridge between ships and the sun came up very nicely over Little Falls, New York:

You remain the uncontested King of trip and itinerary planners! And I highly doubt you’ll have to relinquish that title to anyone else!

• Thanks 1

Hi Roy, I submitted an earlier message that might have been left in the bin.  I commend you for your exciting trips which we all get to enjoy.  I just wanted to say that I live in a neighborhood near the halfway mark of the New York State Erie Canal and was pleased to read that you traversed part of it.  It has an outstanding history, especially meeting commercial needs along its vast area.  DH, our dear pandemic puppy, and I walk the trails at least twice a week and enjoy the beautiful landscapes.  BTW, I learned that we disembarked with you early March from the Serenity, sorry we did not meet!!.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Camillus112 said:

Hi Roy, I submitted an earlier message that might have been left in the bin.  I commend you for your exciting trips which we all get to enjoy.  I just wanted to say that I live in a neighborhood near the halfway mark of the New York State Erie Canal and was pleased to read that you traversed part of it.  It has an outstanding history, especially meeting commercial needs along its vast area.  DH, our dear pandemic puppy, and I walk the trails at least twice a week and enjoy the beautiful landscapes.  BTW, I learned that we disembarked with you early March from the Serenity, sorry we did not meet!!.

I can relate to that.  I grew up about a mile north of Hancock Airport and have great memories of the area.  I used to watch the barges go through the locks west of Brewerton and my swimming spots were Oneida Lake and Green Lake.  I became infatuated with the canal due to a scout leader who led a canoe trip on one of the feeder canals to the main Erie Canal.  His enthusiasm was infectious and he had actually been on the canal as a boy.

Roy

Roy

• Like 1

13 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I can relate to that.  I grew up about a mile north of Hancock Airport and have great memories of the area.  I used to watch the barges go through the locks west of Brewerton and my swimming spots were Oneida Lake and Green Lake.  I became infatuated with the canal due to a scout leader who led a canoe trip on one of the feeder canals to the main Erie Canal.  His enthusiasm was infectious and he had actually been on the canal as a boy.

Roy

Roy

We are originally from the Caribbean (Puerto Rico, exactly) and first came to the Finger Lakes Region (Ithaca) around 30 years ago.  We moved to this area upon retirement and enjoy all the natural wonders around us.  We do miss our beautiful island and our Caribbean Sea!!

• Like 1

Today's sunrise photo brings back great memories.  It's from my 2011 Blount/Crystal Montreal Circle.  On October 8 we were in Central New York and started out very early from Sylvan Beach crossing Oneida Lake to Oswego, NY and the St. Lawrence Seaway.  The sun came up at the west end of Oneida Lake, just a stones throw from an island where we had my high school graduation party.

1stlight.jpg

Roy

• Like 2

It will be sunsets rather than sunrises for the next couple of days. On October 8, 2017 the MS Amsterdam crossed the International dateline.  While it was officially October 8 ship's time, I figure by then actual local time was October 9.

daysend08.jpg

Roy

• Like 2

11 hours ago, TER777 said:

And  the winner of 2020 Britain's Got Talent is:

Thanks.  We are facing the remnants of Delta today with 2 inches of rain in the forecast so it's a good day to have some extra videos to watch.

Roy

Today's sunrise is from a new trip.  In October-November last year I combined sailings of QM2, Crystal Bach, Crystal Serenity and finally Crystal Symphony, but the sunrise is from the train on the way to New York to board QM2.  It was taken from the first significant bridge of the journey (I think the Gunpowder River):

dawn1018.jpg

Roy

• Like 6

While I have several sunrises for this date in my archives I will do one from my morning walk which came early.  It started at my neighborhood shopping center and makes a loop past my middle school to a neighborhood p  It's a cloudy day so I wasn't expecting anything but there was some decent color as I started my walk.  I didn't see anything in the park but on my return segment it was just coming up over the roof of the middle school:

dawn101920.thumb.jpg.b509a908581e6899002

Roy

• Like 4