A little Martini action

PTC DAWG

On 7/15/2020 at 1:30 PM, Spif Barwunkel said:

I prefer a Vodka Martini, Belvedere or Ciroc, with a splash of Vermouth. Now here is where it will get very unappealing for most, if not all of you. I have developed a "Bluefish Martini" which strictly pertains to the olives, if that is your garnish of choice. A specialty martini not drank all the time.

Remove pimento from two queen olives. Stuff one olive, fully, with fresh Danish bleu cheese. Stuff the second olive with a whole  anchovy folded in half and not rinsed. I put the olives in an empty martini glass and slowly pour the chilled liquid over them. You will notice a small oil slick blending with the liquor, as well as some residual from the bleu cheese. If you like a dirty martini, this is the ultimate. You might think that this would compromise the taste of your favorite Gin or Vodka. It does not. By the way, there will be about one quarter to one half inch of anchovy outside the olive. A fish tail, if you will. Hence, the "Bluefish Martini".  

Okay, I know everyone has been squirming in their seats, yelling "yuk" several times, making faces and calling me gross and disgusting. I get that a lot. It comes with anything new and daring. But if you like olives, bleu cheese and anchovies, give it a try. You won't even have to hold your nose. As you can tell, I love bleu cheese and anchovies. 

Back in my younger days (mid 1970s) I lived in Chicago and several of my friends and I would head to Binyon's Restaurant for martinis with anchovy stuffed olives and their famous turtle soup. Alas, Binyon's closed in 1990, but in their memory,  I will on occasion stuff a couple of olives with anchovies whenever I make a Caesar Salad at home. Those olives are the perfect garnish for my dry Hendricks martini.

1 hour ago, Ozzmund said:

Back in my younger days (mid 1970s) I lived in Chicago and several of my friends and I would head to Binyon's Restaurant for martinis with anchovy stuffed olives and their famous turtle soup. Alas, Binyon's closed in 1990, but in their memory,  I will on occasion stuff a couple of olives with anchovies whenever I make a Caesar Salad at home. Those olives are the perfect garnish for my dry Hendricks martini.

There you go. Anchovies in your Martini olives and on your Caeser Salad.....sublime. A chunk of Danish Bleu in another Martini olive.....sublimer. Not a word, I know, but I like it.

GIN

Bombay Sapphire, vermouth in and out, lemon twist.  Glass of ice water on the side.

Large Martini glass please, if you don't have one, you might as well start the second one right now.

DW sits next to me and mouths the whole speech.  😁

Hendricks gin, Perucchi vermouth (hard to find) or Noilly Prat vermouth and Davina Blue cheese olives served dirty in a iced cold martini glass.  Yum!  This is from a female.  I agree, if it's vodka, it isn't a martini.  Spif Barwunkel,  I like the idea of anchovies in the olives.  I will try that.

On 7/15/2020 at 9:31 AM, TeeRick said:

I am a Gin Martini person.

I like Hendricks, Bombay Sapphire, and Tanqueray 10 if they have these on board too.

I enjoy a nice Gin and Tonic-  but Beefeaters will always do for me there. I have recently discovered Fever-Tree premium tonic water.

I agree Gin makes the best Martini and the 3 brands above are among the best for Gin and tonic too. We have been using Fever Tree tonic and ginger beer for years, can't beat them.  Can't wit to hit the martini bars next year on the Infinity with our Premium drinks free perk.