Crazy question BUT hey at least it's NOT refunds and cancellations talk

We have been on harmony and are going on symphony next year. When we were on harmony because my DH likes to watch tv into the wee hours of the night. I would end up (beds are separated into twins) grabbing my top sheet and pillow and sleeping on the sofa, because with the closest door open it blocked most of the light and sound. (No he's not an ahole, I sleep 8-9hrs a night and he sleeps 4-5, plus he is already doing something he doesn't want to , By taking time off of work to cruise with me) (he would NOT stay OUT either bc it's the tv watching he enjoys)

My question is ... Since I know I will end up on the sofa IS it possible to ask the steward to just make up the sofa FOR me? 

I know it would be added work for the room steward during the turndown, BUT it would be so nice to have a bottom sheet ,etc.

I sailed on freedom a few years ago and had 2 children with me instead of the one listed. My steward make the sofa bed every night without even a murmur.  I tipped him $40 the first day when I told him I'd have the 2 kids and he was great. 

• Like 1

Have you considered a night mask and earplugs ?  Or , some compromise like you sleeping less and he cuts his TV viewing by a few hours.    

Sleeping on a sofa without some sort of barrier between you and sofa is just yucky. 

• Like 1

Yes I would certainly tip extra. And in my experience they happily agree to most request. I just didn't want to be THAT PERSON  who the crew says, can you believe this... Pushy Americans

So if that request seemed totally out of bounds, I would have scraped it.

53 minutes ago, NHProud said:

Have you considered a night mask and earplugs ?  Or , some compromise like you sleeping less and he cuts his TV viewing by a few hours.    

Sleeping on a sofa without some sort of barrier between you and sofa is just yucky. 

After 30 years together, it is pretty much the way it is and compromising is neither one of our strong suits LOL

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, newcruzer2 said:

After 30 years together, it is pretty much the way it is and compromising is neither one of our strong suits LOL

Understood ! No problem with the steward making up the sofa bed with an extra gratuity.  It is their job , after all.  

Our next cruise departs from  New Orleans in 2021.  We are very much looking forward to it.  Just read K-Paul’s has permanently closed . Very sad to have read that news. 

Here's another idea.... how about some magnetic hooks and a shower curtain, and you can sleep in your bed?

These magnets are wicked strong, and you could put them on the ceiling between the beds and hang a shower curtain to block the light.  Half a dozen magnets and a shower curtain will fit in a pair of shoes in your luggage.  Or leave the shower curtain at the dollar store and only bring the magnets, and just grab some extra pool towels to hang from the ceiling.  Hubby gets to watch tv, and you get to sleep in an actual bed instead of on the sofa or the pulled-out sofabed.

I've been using these magnets for a few years now.  They're also great for hanging up hand-laundry or swimsuits to dry, or to hang a small fan from the ceiling, or to hang up hats / lanyards / handbags on the wall, etc.  

4 hours ago, newcruzer2 said:

It sounds like you've got a pretty good compromise worked out from where I'm standing. Do what works for you!

• Like 1

Or another idea, he downloads his fav programme, TV series, movies to a tablet or laptop and listens  through headphones. I often listen to music to fall asleep to through wireless headphones. 

My husband is a big man who likes to take up a lot of space while sleeping, so on cruises I always have him take the big bed and I sleep on the couch. The room steward always looks at me like I am crazy when I tell him I will be sleeping on the couch! I always tell the steward to leave it as a bed so I can nap during the day. It is not a problem.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

On Harmony and Symphony, if you book a GS, it is divided by a wall with TV on each side. Easy to watch TV and not disturb roommates. 

M8

And DH can sleep on the sofa and watch TV all night long.  Actually the sofa in GS on Harmony was better for me than the bed.  There were 3 adults and I think I would have been more comfortable on the sofa.

10 hours ago, brillohead said:

Here's another idea.... how about some magnetic hooks and a shower curtain, and you can sleep in your bed?

These magnets are wicked strong, and you could put them on the ceiling between the beds and hang a shower curtain to block the light.  Half a dozen magnets and a shower curtain will fit in a pair of shoes in your luggage.  Or leave the shower curtain at the dollar store and only bring the magnets, and just grab some extra pool towels to hang from the ceiling.  Hubby gets to watch tv, and you get to sleep in an actual bed instead of on the sofa or the pulled-out sofabed.

I've been using these magnets for a few years now.  They're also great for hanging up hand-laundry or swimsuits to dry, or to hang a small fan from the ceiling, or to hang up hats / lanyards / handbags on the wall, etc.  

Thank you the the idea , I really like . And seems like it would be far less trouble 😁

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sgmn said:

Or another idea, he downloads his fav programme, TV series, movies to a tablet or laptop and listens  through headphones. I often listen to music to fall asleep to through wireless headphones. 

Thank for the idea, sounds good. 

2 hours ago, kernie968 said:

My husband is a big man who likes to take up a lot of space while sleeping, so on cruises I always have him take the big bed and I sleep on the couch. The room steward always looks at me like I am crazy when I tell him I will be sleeping on the couch! I always tell the steward to leave it as a bed so I can nap during the day. It is not a problem.

Leaving it as a bed, sounds good because I would feel less bothersome to the room steward. 

I envy nappers, never ever been able to take one except when really ill.