Ultimate sale vs olife

thepla

39 minutes ago, thepla said:

Hi. Pardon me but just was on main site and saw both ultimate and olife sales. I can't figure out any difference. Can someone please explain?

Thanks 

The difference is one word about the perks: "O Life" is choice of tours OR booze OR sbc. "Ultimate O Life" is all three - tours AND booze AND sbc.

The Ultimate  sale  is the same as O Life perks   but some sailings have been discounted  from the original prices  you still only get to choose 1 perk  in either  deal

With The Ultimate Sale explore the world at truly unrivaled savings. These historic price reductions are on top of the already phenomenal value represented by our popular OLife Choice package, which includes Roundtrip Airfare*, a FREE amenity of your choice and much more!

- Up to 8 FREE Shore Excursions
- FREE Beverage Package
- Up to $800 FREE Shipboard Credit
Amenities are per stateroom

Very confusing, to say the least. 

The sale of 4 category upgrade was a much better deal. We didnt take advantage of it as we still dont think anything will sail for  quite a while, so no point, throwing good money after bad. We have a cruise coming up in dec , may move the deposit on it to something much further away, instead of cancelling outright. Just hope there is a good promo at that time for something in 2022.

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

The difference is one word about the perks: "O Life" is choice of tours OR booze OR sbc. "Ultimate O Life" is all three - tours AND booze AND sbc.

While you are usually right in your answers and advice I believe you missed here. Historically you are correct, but recently Oceania has unfortunately decided to re-purpose the word "Ultimate" in their marketing. It is as Lyn posted. We discussed this before I think. 

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Oops! Didn't realize OP was talking about one of the regular holiday (or similar) extra cabin cost savings. My comparison regards the two versions of O Life - "regular" and the occasional "ultimate" (which is most often found outside of the US market).

Hi thanks. We live in Illinois and doing NYC to Bermuda next July.  Since I travel with my 12 year old son, just two of us, I can't justify added expense for olife. 

Can't wait to experience Oceania. Have ncl antartica in January which I doubt will sail but I think Oceania will be a cooler experience for us boys 

Done royal, ncl msc before and can't wait for July.

Thanks

30 minutes ago, thepla said:

Hi thanks. We live in Illinois and doing NYC to Bermuda next July.  Since I travel with my 12 year old son, just two of us, I can't justify added expense for olife. 

Can't wait to experience Oceania. Have ncl antartica in January which I doubt will sail but I think Oceania will be a cooler experience for us boys 

Done royal, ncl msc before and can't wait for July.

Thanks

From your post I assume you haven't been on Oceania before? There are many posts here about taking children on Oceania, you might do a search for them. Bottom line is that unless your child is different than most 12 year old boys he will be bored to death on Oceania. Of course if he is a reader or good at amusing himself it might work. There are no organized activities whatsoever for children of any age. The only times are a few special Alaska trips. 

Then there is a whole demographic of Oceania cruisers that will tell you that kids don't belong on Oceania. I'm not one of those, I don't care if kids are on board or not. I do think you need to know that there is little for them to do though. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ORV said:

Then there is a whole demographic of Oceania cruisers that will tell you that kids don't belong on Oceania. I'm not one of those, I don't care if kids are on board or not. I do think you need to know that there is little for them to do though. 

He could possibly be only one of his age on the cruise. Of course, there could be other children but they are the exception rather than the rule.

It's very much an adult line, including entertainment, food , demographics, etc.

• Like 1

That is one of the reasons we chose Oceania, that there are no or very few children aboard. If that changes, it will be Viking only for us.

Plenty of cruise lines for children, with all kinds of fun things to do.

Will never understand why anyone would take a child on a line that offers them so little, other than the parents want to enjoy it and the kid will just manage.

Yes I am not being very nice. Just have had way too many negative experiences with kids on board on other lines. 

• Like 1

Disclaimer to OP.

You know your son best and you are the one to judge if this environment will suit him.

There are children "wise beyond their age" and prefer adults and can entertain themselves. They also appreciate food beyond burgers, hot dogs and fries.

If he is one of those then both of you will enjoy the cruise.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Disclaimer to OP.

You know your son best and you are the one to judge if this environment will suit him.

There are children "wise beyond their age" and prefer adults and can entertain themselves. They also appreciate food beyond burgers, hot dogs and fries.

If he is one of those then both of you will enjoy the cruise.

Last year, we were on a couple of ATW segments with one 10-12 year old who was on for the long haul and happy as a clam in adult company.

Perhaps if more parents were more concerned with life/learning experiences than with water slides, we'd see more of their kids/grandkids on an O cruise. BTW, the few I have seen on O (mostly short summer Med or Alaska itineraries) generally have been well-behaved and well-traveled.

That said, we still prefer the regular O demographic, which I consider to be cosmopolitan adult travelers who are accomplished and have worked hard for their money.

• Like 2

Not that I need to clarify to posts but my son and I just started to do cruises instead of a more traditional travel. We only started 18 months ago (we did miss one over Spring break this year in March). Prior to that he has been to all continents except Antarctica, all 50 states and over 40 countries. he has a documented IQ over 145 and 160 in math category. Plus he was already at MIT for an on-site visit last summer. Not that means a set of beans he did analysis for cruise and created a complete analysis choosing this trip including port, ship, food and entertainment, it was weighted in each category. He was put on his schools, wall of fame, for being able to put on a map every country in the world, so he knows his geography. We've taken three cruises only and enjoyed all of them, he maps out full excursion plans and we are always together. To me it is weird people think kids ruin a trip for them. In my snort life of cruises I've seen some rude, drunk, pushy adults that I would have traded for a little one having some fun. I had a neighbor in a balcony next to me smoking so my son and I could not really enjoy breakfast on balcony. To me I'd rather have two kids giggling,having fun, on that balcony compared to a smoker.

I also understand negative connotations for some children, I researched before buying Oceania and somehow felt an older crowd would be a better learning experience for my 12 year old. He never went to kids clubs or kids activities on large ship like Freedom of Seas. My son is a foodie type and enjoys experimenting with all types of foods.

BTW thanks for answer to reason I posted. I appreciate it very much!

Edited by thepla
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Most times  we have had children onboard  they have been well behaved

I am sure your son will enjoy  the cruise  & maybe do your own excursions  fairly easy  in Bermuda

Catch the bus or the ferry

Hopefully you will not have smokers next to you as it is prohibited  on balconies so report them ASAP  to reception

enjoy

Its always the same. As soon as one says they prefer to sail on an adult only cruise, you get but what about the badly behaved adults. Very predictable.

Not for me to say and I know I will be in big trouble for doing it, but seems to me a child like that could use some fun on ships that have the water slides, the ice rinks...all kinds of other kids  to make friends with.  Psychosocialization,   a very important aspect of growing up. 

I have taken this off topic. I apologize for doing that. Here come the flames. I am ready. 

Not that I need to clarify to posts but my son and I just started to do cruises instead of a more traditional travel. We only started 18 months ago (we did miss one over Spring break this year in March). Prior to that he has been to all continents except Antarctica, all 50 states and over 40 countries. he has a documented IQ over 145 and 160 in math category. Plus he was already at MIT for an on-site visit last summer. Not that means a set of beans he did analysis for cruise and created a complete analysis choosing this trip including port, ship, food and entertainment, it was weighted in each category. He was put on his schools, wall of fame, for being able to put on a map every country in the world, so he knows his geography. We've taken three cruises only and enjoyed all of them, he maps out full excursion plans and we are always together. To me it is weird people think kids ruin a trip for them. In my snort life of cruises I've seen some rude, drunk, pushy adults that I would have traded for a little one having some fun. I had a neighbor in a balcony next to me smoking so my son and I could not really enjoy breakfast on balcony. To me I'd rather have two kids giggling,having fun, on that balcony compared to a smoker.

I also understand negative connotations for some children, I researched before buying Oceania and somehow felt an older crowd would be a better learning experience for my 12 year old. He never went to kids clubs or kids activities on large ship like Freedom of Seas. My son is a foodie type and enjoys experimenting with all types of foods.

BTW thanks for answer to reason I posted. I appreciate it very much!

I think your son will do just fine on Oceania, or Regent for that matter. My guess is that he will receive special attention from both staff and guests. I’m sure my wife (a retired educator) and I would be pleased to have you and your son join us for dinner.

Bob

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think a smart kid that researches a NY to Bermuda trip might find some interesting things to do on that route.  Also, if he is a foodie and you are traveling on Marina or Riviera there may be a cooking class on a sea day that he would enjoy.  On our 3 O trips up to now, there were only a number of children (different ages-one teen joined our trivia group to get away from his family!) on the Copenhagen to Stockholm (with St Petersburg) itinerary in the summer.  I did not realize there were about a dozen kids until debarkation.  It depends on the kid and his or her interests and the time of year.

43 minutes ago, blacksmith said:

I think your son will do just fine on Oceania, or Regent for that matter. My guess is that he will receive special attention from both staff and guests. I’m sure my wife (a retired educator) and I would be pleased to have you and your son join us for dinner.

Bob

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Funny you say this. We took a short MSC cruise from Italy to France off in Spain over Thanksgiving.. I think we were only American's and My son might have been only kid.. It was like we were royalty. 

As far as socialization I agree, he goes to a private school for gifted children, none of his buddies live nearby and I spend most of of time planning play dates, etc. During school he does Scholastic Bowl, Science Olympiad, Soccer, was Illinois Chess Champion for US Chess Federation a few years ago so he does plenty to socialization considering, this summer has been a bust no pool everyday type stuff. Instead Hebrew tutor to learn a third language, critical writing tutor and Calculus on line just to get a little head start. So I do agree but we treat our vacations as just that vacations. BTW he did love ice skating, really does not like pool due to salt water. He did say he'd miss movies on large screen in evening while in Jacuzzi, he said very few cruise lines have that anyway.

Once again back on topic and explaining Oceania terminology.

• Like 1