ETIAS Requirements moved to 2022

klfrodo

2 hours ago, klfrodo said:

The electronic Visa requirement in the near future for those traveling to the EU

https://www.etiasvisa.com/etias-form-application

I find these programs interesting.  Just like its US equivalent, the ETIAS program is defined as a "visa waiver" and yet still requires information from the traveler to be provided in advance,  having a picture taken and the payment of a fee.  Smells like a visa to me...  

US Text:

The Visa Waiver Program (VWP) enables most citizens or nationals of participating countries* to travel to the United States for tourism or business for stays of 90 days or less without obtaining a visa. Travelers must have a valid Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) approval prior to travel and meet all requirements explained below. If you prefer to have a visa in your passport, you may still apply for a visitor (B) visa.

European Text:

ETIAS stands for European Travel Information and Authorization System. The European Union has created this visa waiver program to protect and strengthen its borders. The main goal of the ETIAS visa waiver for Europe is to identify possible threats or risks associated with visitors traveling to any of the Schengen Area countries. The ETIAS visa waiver program will be needed to enter a Schengen member country. By the end of 2022, all visitors that currently do not need a visa to enter Europe will be expected to apply for an ETIAS travel authorization.

• Like 1

There isn't a picture requirement I can find.

Australia has done the same electronic travel authorization requirement for quite awhile, and New Zealand just added it. Its not a big deal.

A visa on the other hand typically has more critical definitions, like educational or work purposes, and is typically for longer periods.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SelectSys said:

Just like its US equivalent, the ETIAS program is defined as a "visa waiver" and yet still requires information from the traveler to be provided in advance,  having a picture taken and the payment of a fee.  Smells like a visa to me...  

The ESTA and ETIAS programs are NOT visas  They are simply a way to register your intent to travel and provide passport info in advance in order to save time at immigration.  Neither program guarantees entry to a particular country.  Yes there is a small fee for ESTA and once approved it is good for two years.  There is no requirement for a picture.

3 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Photos are not required for ESTA or the Canadian eTA.  At least I have never had to submit them!

Hmm - I went back and looked again and couldn't find it either.  I was clicking around on various governmental web sites looking at the program and probably made an error confusing the ESTA with another program.

16 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

There isn't a picture requirement I can find.

A visa on the other hand typically has more critical definitions, like educational or work purposes, and is typically for longer periods.

Typically, but not always.  I have been required to get a visa for simple vacation travel at times.

9 hours ago, crazyank said:

The ESTA and ETIAS programs are NOT visas  They are simply a way to register your intent to travel and provide passport info in advance in order to save time at immigration.  Neither program guarantees entry to a particular country.  Yes there is a small fee for ESTA and once approved it is good for two years.  There is no requirement for a picture.

Maybe I just don't understand the difference between the visa waiver and a "true" visa these days.  It seems a subtle distinction at best as I am required to submit my information in advance and need the document to travel.  In the past it was clearly different as I simply showed up at the border without any prior screening.  Obviously the level of scrutiny is different with these new visa waiver systems, but the purpose seems the same - determine in advance of travel whether the person will be likely admitted into the country.  Of course all immigration officers have the final call in determining who is and is not admissible as a traveler regardless of whether they have a "visa waiver" or an actual visa.  

On 7/25/2020 at 5:44 PM, Wayfairers said:

Wouldn’t surprise me if every country starts requiring this.  Helps to track travelers when there is a pandemic or terrorist attack.  

Nope,  ESTA and ETIAS only track intent to travel.