I Cancelled Prior to Official Cancellation ?

EmmasNana

16 minutes ago, EmmasNana said:

I cancelled one of my 14 day cruises 2 weeks before Carnival cancelled it. Has anyone had any luck being able to get the $600 OBC that would have been received for rebooking in this situation?

No.  You cancelled.  

• Like 4

Just now, Elaine5715 said:

No.  You cancelled.  

I know but in April when the same happened, Carnival announced the cancellation on March 6. Then they made it retroactive for March 1 and I was surprised when I rcvd my deposit back.

I cancelled one of my 14 day cruises 2 weeks before Carnival cancelled it. Has anyone had any luck being able to get the $600 OBC that would have been received for rebooking in this situation?

Why would you do that? Now you want the 600 obc.[emoji42]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

1 hour ago, EmmasNana said:

Yes, you can still get the OBC. We had about 9 cabins that cancelled 2-3 weeks before Carnival officially cancelled, they honored the OBC for each cabin. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, dmarie1623 said:

Yes, you can still get the OBC. We had about 9 cabins that cancelled 2-3 weeks before Carnival officially cancelled, they honored the OBC for each cabin. 

Glad to hear this as i lost out when i canceled a May trip but picked up the 600 obc anyway when the Sept rebook was canceled

This was the wording on my cancellation email,  “Carnival will honor this offer for any guests who were previously booked on these voyages and cancelled their booking on or after March 6, 2020.”

Carnival cancelled our cruise on June 22nd (sail date was in 8/22/2020). They honored cancellations from March 6th onward, so yes you can get the OBC if you cancelled before Carnival does. The only caveat is that you’ve canceled on or after the date in your email. 

• Like 1

We cancelled our Norway Legend June 19 cruise on March 13 and rebooked for the following year.  We had paid in full and everything transferred over to the new booking with some left over  When Carnival cancelled the cruise a few days later we called and they added on the $600 onboard credit.  

I canceled my July cruise when everything shut down in March and rebooked a 2021 cruise this month and was given the previous $600 OBC and deposit I had. I was surprised since I canceled before carnival but they gave it to me lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Here's what I believe the deal is.  For those that cancelled immediately before the INITIAL shutdown (let's say the March timeframe), I believe but am not certain that Carnival treated all those cancellations the same way regardless of which side (cruiser v. CCL) actually cancelled the voyage.

I'd be totally shocked if one cancelled a future cruise today simply because you were uncomfortable on a cruise currently scheduled to sail and not be subject to all the cancellation penalties that would normally apply.  I an uncertain about whether Carnival's cancellation of that cruise at some future date might retroactively provide benefits to someone who had previously cancelled.  Personally, I hope not.  There should be a price paid for not 'hanging in there' outside that initial narrow window in March for cruises that were about to happen within a few weeks.

• Like 1

I am going through this debate right now.  I have an October cruise that I scheduled some time ago, but I feel confident will be canceled. Final payment was due yesterday. I got an extension to August 15th. I really don't want to have to pay the $3k final payment when I know there is almost no chance of it sailing, but I also don't want to be out the deposit if I cancel first.   

7 hours ago, Cruising_Addict said:

I guess I'm not understanding.  The $600 OBC is given to people who don't cancel their cruises and instead, rebook.  You cancelled.  There's no OBC to be received with a cancellation.

I am a little unclear on that, too.  I am guessing that Carnival allowed them to move their deposit to a new booking.  If they are allowing that, I may do that rather than just outright not pay the final payment.

We had already cancelled our September cruise and we received an email from Carnival on the day they announced their official cancellations.  Here is an excerpt from it:

"This letter supersedes any previous offer received.  Carnival will honor this offer for any guests who were previously booked on these voyages and cancelled their booking on or after March 6, 2020."

1 hour ago, Lee Cruiser said:

We had already cancelled our September cruise and we received an email from Carnival on the day they announced their official cancellations.  Here is an excerpt from it:

"This letter supersedes any previous offer received.  Carnival will honor this offer for any guests who were previously booked on these voyages and cancelled their booking on or after March 6, 2020."

I just wanted to mention in our case that we never got an email but were aware of the offer.     Since we had cancelled/rebooked on March 13 we knew we were eligible for the offer.   We called Carnival and they immediately added the $600 onboard credit.    

Edited by HLGW60
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

I am going through this debate right now.  I have an October cruise that I scheduled some time ago, but I feel confident will be canceled. Final payment was due yesterday. I got an extension to August 15th. I really don't want to have to pay the $3k final payment when I know there is almost no chance of it sailing, but I also don't want to be out the deposit if I cancel first.   

Congratulations on getting the final payment date extended the the 15th August.  I just got off the phone with Carnival, requested an extension on our final payment date (2nd August) and was told the most they could give me was the 9th August.  Like so many things with Carnival, it seems the answer all depends upon to whom you get on the phone.  I also expect the October sailings will be cancelled but am sure Carnival prefers to collect as much cash before ultimately deciding upon or announcing further cancellations.  If and when the October sailings are cancelled however, I will be requesting a refund and am no longer considering FCC.

Edited by Florida Paesano

On 7/27/2020 at 5:59 PM, Eli_6 said:

I am a little unclear on that, too.  I am guessing that Carnival allowed them to move their deposit to a new booking.  If they are allowing that, I may do that rather than just outright not pay the final payment.

Well what happened to me was carnival cancelled my December Mardi Gras Cruise . My deposit was 198 I had put an additional 200 earlier in the year. I selected to get the OBC offer I called to rebook for next December and this is how my money went. 
1 I asked can I use the money I paid 398$ toward the deposit I was told I couldn’t. I could use the 200$ and pay the 50$ that day to book the new sailing, (because my new deposit was 250$) and the 198$ initial deposit would be used toward my balance, so I said okay.

2 the rep looked and saw that they had already started the process to refund me the additional 200$ I had paid so she was going to stop that so I could put towards the 250$ deposit. She couldn’t get ahold of the department that handles it so she just said let the refund happen and just pay 50$ today. So that’s what I did paid 50$ got my 200$ refund and the 198$ was put toward my balance.

i think a lot of times it just depends on who you get on what they are willing to do.