Deposit but what about...

Ocean Cat

I’m thinking about putting a $500 deposit down for a cruise in mid April. I’m getting quotes from ***** and I like a quote from a lesser known travel agency. If I put my $500 down and that travel agency goes bankrupt how would I get my $500 back should I choose to use my cruise with confidence option? Would celebrity reimburse me or would it be up to the travel agency. 

I would book direct. And I would not book any cruise leaving from any US port until next summer at least. I don't believe any US cruises will happen in the first half of next year. Also, I question whether you will be able to fly into another country in order to catch a cruise from that country.  

• Like 1

If the TA processes your deposit direct to Celebrity then it doesn’t matter if the TA goes bankrupt, Celebrity has your $ and would refund to you.    If however, if the deposit is paid to the TA (Credit card charge shows ABC travel) and they go under you could have difficulty recouping your funds.  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, jelayne said:

If however, if the deposit is paid to the TA (Credit card charge shows ABC travel)

If this is the case and you are booking in the US get a new travel agent.  All reputable TA's process your card directly with Celebrity and don't run your money through their business.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ocean Cat said:

If dealing directly, does a cruise line ever try to match what a TA quotes you?

Are you talking about the cruise fare or perks.  Frequently  if a TA has a lower cruise fare than Celebrity the TA has a group rate, where they have committed to a set number of cabins.  Celebrity has never matched a group rate for us. We have done a couple of packages through a TA/Consolidator who packages air, cruise, hotel &  transfer and in that case the  payment has been made to the TA.

If you are asking about matching perks or OBC then occasionally they have matched small amounts of OBC but since OBC from Celebrity in non-refundable it not an incentive for us/

On 7/27/2020 at 8:57 AM, Ocean Cat said:

I’m thinking about putting a $500 deposit down for a cruise in mid April. I’m getting quotes from ***** and I like a quote from a lesser known travel agency. If I put my $500 down and that travel agency goes bankrupt how would I get my $500 back should I choose to use my cruise with confidence option? Would celebrity reimburse me or would it be up to the travel agency. 

On this one the decision is easy.  Make the payment with a credit card.  If the TA goes BK you are covered from your credit card under grand/non performance.

If for the whole cruise look to see the travel insurance limits and terms on your card - or others.  I pay $95 a year for a card with good insurance on travel.

• Thanks 1

My credit card use to have $5,000

I called up last year to check and was told 

it is now only $1,000 for cruise cancellation. I think a lot of credit cards have lower there rate for cancellation.