The Old New World of O?

sunbrookgal

The Terrace is for Teatotallers! Within the last year of sailing, If they were bringing drinks, it wasn’t predominantly adult beverages! All the water and iced tea you wanted! 

We would gladly vote for a new system where if you wanted another glass of wine, like food, you got up and went and got it! That is opposed to the practice of waiting for a wine server that never comes around. I would gladly stand in line for a glass of wine, as opposed to waiting on an imaginary figure!

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

The Terrace is for Teatotallers! Within the last year of sailing, If they were bringing drinks, it wasn’t predominantly adult beverages! All the water and iced tea you wanted! 

We would gladly vote for a new system where if you wanted another glass of wine, like food, you got up and went and got it! That is opposed to the practice of waiting for a wine server that never comes around. I would gladly stand in line for a glass of wine, as opposed to waiting on an imaginary figure!

Don’t you usually bring your own wine?

If so, can you not keep that bottle on or near the table in a bucket?

• Like 1

Why , with a beverage package, should I have to bring my own wine to replace poor service? For the often simpleton food in the Terrace, I don’t want to drink my own wines. Those wines on the package will suffice. I’ll save my wines for other meals.

I believe my proposal is reasonable. If I want seconds of any course, dessert, or any food, if in the Terrace, I get up and go get it. I’m likewise perfectly willing to get up and stand in line to get an adult beverage. I detest waiting for a wine server that may never appear or if lucky once during a meal.

• Like 1

Why , with a beverage package, should I have to bring my own wine to replace poor service? For the often simpleton food in the Terrace, I don’t want to drink my own wines. Those wines on the package will suffice. I’ll save my wines for other meals.

Why do you continue to cruise on Oceania ?

You have so many complaints about them

Slow beverage service /horrible wine/old people/ mobility challenged on your tours /bland food etc...

Maybe you would like Crystal the servers come around often with the  included wines

they have some good pricing as well

• Like 4

Because it is probably is the “ best food at sea”, which isn’t a high bar. I don’t pretend it’s something it’s not!

Because historically, we’ve meet wonderful people on private tours and have been able to avoid the grotesquely overpriced Oceania tours with their inherent issues.

We avoid the Buffet line, except at breakfast. Service is fine in the other restaurants. Drink service was once fine in the Terrace until they drastically cut staffing levels a couple years back.

The Cheerleaders’s turn now! 

If you haven't tried Seabourn, Regent or Crystal how do you know you wouldn't get all those things you get on Oceania plus better wine service?

I've tried them all and came back to Oceania but others have moved on.

Be adventurous!

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 1

If our O January cruise is cancelled, we will be trying Regent for its replacement of the same itinerary in Jan 22. Since we take the Premium Drink Package and fly BC anyway, the price differentials are very small. 

We’re looking at some exotic land tours likewise that will take us mostly away from cruises for awhile. We will be very adventurous! Visiting Japan and not eating in the Polo Grill or Terrace, who could imagine such a thing!  😂😂

8 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Because it is probably is the “ best food at sea”, which isn’t a high bar. I don’t pretend it’s something it’s not!

Because historically, we’ve meet wonderful people on private tours and have been able to avoid the grotesquely overpriced Oceania tours with their inherent issues.

We avoid the Buffet line, except at breakfast. Service is fine in the other restaurants. Drink service was once fine in the Terrace until they drastically cut staffing levels a couple years back.

The Cheerleaders’s turn now! 

So maybe you would meet wonderful people on the other lines  as well                                         

Maybe the food would be more to your liking with flavour  & better wine service 

Just saying

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We were on the Insignia and the Sirena in the past year, and we would sit by the drink area in the Terrace and never had an issue getting plenty to drink.  A couple of times we sat much further away, and it was slower, so if you want a few drinks, I would try to be close to where they are.  We also get the premium drink package, but we did drop a few cash tips since we like to drink a lot on vacation, and we appreciate good service.  We probably drink too much, haha, because some of the bartenders were on Sirena this time that remembered us from Insignia, and that was only a 7 day cruise.

Ignoring some of the very nasty comments from the ardent Cheerleaders , this is my view of the situation. A great philosopher once said: The only constant in the universe is change. To not change is not consistent with history.

Oceania Cruises hasn’t  been the same. It doesn’t matter what occurred 25+ cruises ago, nor when it was Renaissance instead of Oceania. Things change, that’s life!

When we first sailed Oceania, it was on the Marina, service was incredible! There was no such thing as “ The Terrace is for Teatotallers “. It was great service all around! Wonderful, the Cheerleaders would (were) overwhelmed. Oceania, to reduce costs made changes. It affected service levels. Things change as part of the business cycles. For whatever reason, the Cheerleaders become obsessed and make clearly nasty posts against anyone suggesting change has ( is ) occurred!

I have hidden mostly from the dress code thread. Hundreds of pages on Oceania dress code are available via a simple use of the search function. However, having said that, what cruisers did in 2008 or 2015, or 2018, seems to have little or no impact on 2019 forward. Things change. Watch the trends! How they dressed years ago , and most importantly how dress codes were enforced years ago has a nat’s butt of pertinence on what happens today. Tired of the 25 cruises ago sagas!

Hopefully soon, for those few of us that desire to do so, sailing will resume. The ONLY thing that matters is what and how Oceania creates our new experiences. Ancient memories are just that. 

Here’s to enjoyable new memories on the post Covid lines! 🍷🥂. I have little doubt that they will be different from those recollections from years ago! 

My best advice to those cruisers booked in the  coming months is to ignore the comments of those that only sailed in the past. Look forward to your cruises. Ignore the naysayers, and realize you’re on a new adventure.

There is a huge divide between Cheerleader and Hater! Only the Cheerleaders struggle to grasp that!

I am what you might consider an Oceania cheerleader.

Despite that, I have commented here on changes that I have witnessed since our first O cruise in 2006. I have stated more than once that if the scales get tipped too much -i.e. the changes become too severe for my comfort, I will look for a new cruise line.

For me the changes have not been of that degree so far but it sounds to me that you at this point are so unhappy with the changes that it might be time for you to try a different line and see what you think.

FWIW. all lines have changed over the years - as you have pointed out - just ask old timers on HAL, Princess or Celebrity. The question is which changes are too big for you.

JMO.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

How about this ? Once cruising resumes, and We will almost assuredly sail before you do, I’ll let you know.

No need as I won’t be making that decision for you - you will.

I will decide for myself when I cruise - whenever that may be.

• Like 2

I would say  I was a cheerleader   but yes  since our 1st cruise in 2004  things have changed  some for the better  some not

But  I still find Oceania suits us better than some other lines

The constant whining & complaining about the bland food /old people/ mobility challenged on tours  /poor wine quality/slow service   ..if it is so bad why not  try something new

I think you would enjoy Crystal   they do not have Polo type restaurant  but you could always request them to make what you want  just ask the day before

JMO

• Like 2

On 8/23/2020 at 5:33 PM, pinotlover said:

I can only talk about our experience.  We spent a month on Marina Nov. 2018 - with the beverage package.  It was exactly as you describe.  Very difficult to get wine service in the MDR, and near impossible in the Terrace.

fast forward to our next O cruise - a month on Marina Dec 2019.  The difference was striking. Very acceptable wine service in Terrace, and excellent service in the MDR.  Apparently, our mileage varies.

We are also trying Regent next fall to replace this fall's Windstar cruise.

16 hours ago, Kate-AHF said:

fast forward to our next O cruise - a month on Marina Dec 2019.  The difference was striking. Very acceptable wine service in Terrace, and excellent service in the MDR.  Apparently, our mileage varies.

Same experience. Since it was our first O cruise I've been surprised when people have complained.