Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

On 10/16/2022 at 3:35 AM, sogne said:

not had this I think

123.JPG

On 10/17/2022 at 1:54 AM, sogne said:

Looking at a closed coast at least until recently.

1 hour ago, sogne said:

seems we need a big clue: an incident involving 2 RN destroyers occurred in this area in 1947

(I think) 

1 hour ago, Host Hattie said:

I got some results for Corfu for 1946 if that's anywhere near 

Ah, once we have the location narrowed down, I'm able to find an image on a photo sharing website that shows an identical profile of the hills. It even includes that single lit feature on the shore. That image is described as "Greek mainland seen from the Straits of Corfu." I suspect the "closed coast" @sogne has in mind is Albania which is also visible from the Straits of Corfu.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Ah, once we have the location narrowed down, I'm able to find an image on a photo sharing website that shows an identical profile of the hills. It even includes that single lit feature on the shore. That image is described as "Greek mainland seen from the Straits of Corfu." I suspect the "closed coast" @sogne has in mind is Albania which is also visible from the Straits of Corfu.

yes Corfu Strait  surprised this had not featured  

123.JPG

On 10/19/2022 at 1:48 AM, bluemarble said:

On 10/19/2022 at 12:30 AM, Host Hattie said:

I got some results for Corfu for 1946 if that's anywhere near 

Congratulations both!  I didn't think that photo could be solved.  @bluemarble, how are you counting this cruise-by?  Is it new port number 591, or is it an alternative view of Corfu?

2 minutes ago, sfred said:

Congratulations both!  I didn't think that photo could be solved.  @bluemarble, how are you counting this cruise-by?  Is it new port number 591, or is it an alternative view of Corfu?

In the interest of building our port list, I'll count that as a new cruise-by called "Corfu Straight, Greece".

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, sogne said:

yes Corfu Strait  surprised this had not featured  

123.JPG

I think this is the Pentland Skerries lighthouse on the island of Muckle Skerry, Scotland. If so, that's a new sail-by to add to our list.

A bonus for me from the research for this one is that it taught me a new word; "skerry: a small rocky island."

14 minutes ago, North West Newbie said:

Is that Oslo?

Looks like Oslo to me also, concur with @North West Newbie.  Perhaps a webcam on the roof of the Oslo Town Hall opposite the Rådhusplassen?

Oslo is one of my favourite cities.  I went there regularly for work when living in London in the early 90s. 

QV's refit makes it challenging to distinguish between QV/QE, and the photo resolution has blurred the name on the bow.  But I think QV tends to go to to Oslo more frequently, so I'll play the odds and guess the ship is QV?

Edited by sfred
  • Like 2

That webcam image is indeed from Oslo. It's from the "Raadhuskaia" webcam found on the Port of Oslo's website. It's showing QV's departure earlier this year (August 27, 2022). I posted a view that day showing QV docked at Oslo from their "Kavringen" webcam on the "Queen Victoria current location" thread. I saved this other capture to post on this thread.

18 hours ago, Lanky Lad said:

This one might be easy or not.

where.jpg

I'll go ahead now and formally identify this photo as Dover Strait, England. By the way, the ferry shown in the photo is either Spirit of Britain or Spirit of France of P&O Ferries operating on the Dover-Calais route.

Do you recall which ship were you on for this photo, @Lanky Lad?

Here's my next contribution. This is one of my photos showing another view of a port we've already seen. I've erased the wording on the sign which would have given it away otherwise. Perhaps the logo I've left intact will help. If additional clues are needed, I may start revealing one word at a time on that sign. I'm not sure how much the cranes in the background will help, @sfred😉

1715027000_WhereintheWorld(110).thumb.jpg.fc6865e51904ac37e175ae712813c104.jpg

2 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I'll go ahead now and formally identify this photo as Dover Strait, England. By the way, the ferry shown in the photo is either Spirit of Britain or Spirit of France of P&O Ferries operating on the Dover-Calais route.

Do you recall which ship were you on for this photo, @Lanky Lad?

It is the Dover Strait. I'm not sure I should admit this, but it was Fred Olsen's Braemar