Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

16 minutes ago, sogne said:

Ijmuiden enroute 2 Amsterdam north sea ferry in dock at right been there professionally more than once

Yes indeed. Of the North Sea Ferries (DFDS) operating from IJmuiden, it looks like King Seaways is the best match for the one shown in that last image.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 1

Now that we are four pages on since the last time I posted our ports lists, here are the latest versions. We have now seen 597 Cunard ports/cruise-by locations but there are still plenty of opportunities to add more. We also welcome photos showing different views of ports we've already seen.

Where in the World 2022-10-31.txt   Cunard ports not seen yet 2022-10-31.txt

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Here's another webcam view from my collection showing a Cunard ship departing a port we've already seen. Believe it or not, that blip on the horizon immediately to the right and above the land is a Cunard ship.

1751497228_WhereintheWorld(115).thumb.jpg.5ce2a29a55b2b949d801bd8e15a10b9f.jpg

A quick Internet image search appears to have identified that point of land in front of the ship (based on the spire near the waterfront and the cross at the end of the land) as Gijon, Spain.

If that's wrong, I blame the Internet site that labeled the similar picture I found. Of course, if it's right, I did it all myself.

Edited to add: I didn't see an acknowledgement of your previous picture being Stavenger, but that image search function (which, honestly, almost never finds anything I'm looking for) showed a picture of that port that matches the pyramid shapes on the roof of the building just left of center and the spire just right of center.

Edited by ExArkie
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, ExArkie said:

A quick Internet image search appears to have identified that point of land in front of the ship (based on the spire near the waterfront and the cross at the end of the land) as Gijon, Spain.

If that's wrong, I blame the Internet site that labeled the similar picture I found. Of course, if it's right, I did it all myself.

Edited to add: I didn't see an acknowledgement of your previous picture being Stavenger, but that image search function (which, honestly, almost never finds anything I'm looking for) showed a picture of that port that matches the pyramid shapes on the roof of the building just left of center and the spire just right of center.

You are correct, @ExArkie. That webcam capture of mine is showing Gijon, Spain. Your research did not steer you wrong.

That previous photo (which presumably is Stavanger) was posted by @sogne. He will need to confirm that identification. We'll assume that's Stavanger unless he lets us know otherwise.

41 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

You are correct, @ExArkie. That webcam capture of mine is showing Gijon, Spain. Your research did not steer you wrong.

That previous photo (which presumably is Stavanger) was posted by @sogne. He will need to confirm that identification. We'll assume that's Stavanger unless he lets us know otherwise.

Apologies to sogne - got confused with too many windows open at once and credited the wrong poster. 

13 minutes ago, sfred said:

Isn't life hard when an evening on a Cunard ship interrupts playing Where in the World on Cruise Critic? 😄

My heart bleeds for you. Life must be so difficult…

• Like 1

10 hours ago, babs135 said:

A very wet morning which eventually turned into a glorious afternoon. 

somewhere.jpg

Cabo San Lucas, Mexico?

I think this is a view of the Cabo San Lucas marina from outside Plaza Bonita next door to Señor Frog's.

The key was recognizing the flag at the left is the green, white and red of the Mexican flag. At first I thought it might be the blue, white and red of the French flag which of course had me headed in the wrong direction for a while. From there, a search for a Mexican boat named "Phantom" led me to "Phantom Fishing Cabo". Google street view did the rest to find the precise location where the photo was taken.

2 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Cabo San Lucas, Mexico?

I think this is a view of the Cabo San Lucas marina from outside Plaza Bonita next door to Señor Frog's.

The key was recognizing the flag at the left is the green, white and red of the Mexican flag. At first I thought it might be the blue, white and red of the French flag which of course had me headed in the wrong direction for a while. From there, a search for a Mexican boat named "Phantom" led me to "Phantom Fishing Cabo". Google street view did the rest to find the precise location where the photo was taken.

You are correct.   We were the first tender off the Queen Elizabeth when the heavens opened and tendering was halted for a while.  Spent some of the time sipping a very pleasant Corona beer (in the days before anyone had ever heard of the other meaning of Corona!!!) as the weather improved.  Unfortunately not enough time to do anything but wander around the port area.  

9 hours ago, babs135 said:

I think this is approaching/leaving Bergen?

Correct!  This is the Askoybrua bridge just to the west of Bergen.   Noteworthy for our Where in the World game as the lowest bridge in the world that QM2 passes under.  Last night upon departure the captain reported that we had 1.4 meters of clearance.   

Many others besides me braved the cold and wet evening to watch.   As we approached I overheard another gent remark that we should nominate a single volunteer to take a picture while the rest of us went inside to the pub.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Here's a hint to assist with the identification of my last webcam image.

In addition to this port being the subject of a previous photo on this thread, it has also featured in three of the word games we've played here (anagrams, Christmas words and month abbreviations).

21 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Here's a hint to assist with the identification of my last webcam image.

In addition to this port being the subject of a previous photo on this thread, it has also featured in three of the word games we've played here (anagrams, Christmas words and month abbreviations).

Sorry for the delay.   I had to wait for a QM2 sea day to avoid an eye-roll and an "oh for heavens sake" comment from Mrs. Sfred to research a where in the world port.  😄

Santa Margherita Italy.  

Contains Santa for the Christmas game, and Mar for the month game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1