Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

If I have it right about that being Piraeus, here's one of my photos taken from onboard QE in 2012 showing the portion of the terminal building I've outlined in red below on @sogne's photo. Couldn't go an entire day without figuring out some way to contribute another photo to this thread!

image.thumb.png.13c4dd35c6d8627133bf06088a04a038.png

image.thumb.png.f5068fc330addc45ccfde32606b24155.png

13 hours ago, Lanky Lad said:

Copenhagen?

not Copenhagen but I can see why it looks like it

13 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Oh, wow! I don't know how long it would have taken me to figure this one out without stumbling upon it while investigating that clue. This looks like a port (and terminal) we've actually departed from and I didn't recognize it.

1) I think that site of a battle to starboard is a reference to the Battle of Salamis in 480 BC.

2) I think what's in the shadow in the foreground is the Molos Themistokleus light.

3) That looks like this port's Cruise Terminal B on shore in the middle of the photo.

I think this is Piraeus, Greece.

correct on all 3 counts

Since I'm out of port photos to contribute, here's a trivia question relating to QM2 port calls.

Not surprisingly, the two ports that QM2 has visited the most often are Southampton and New York in that order. What port has QM2 visited the third most often?

I'm counting the total number of days QM2 has been in each port starting with her maiden voyage January 12, 2004 through the end of her 2020 world voyage earlier this year. I'm not counting days prior to her maiden voyage, days spent in drydock/refit or days spent in layup since April 15, 2020.

I may not have exact counts since I don't have all the port substitutions or missed ports that have occurred over the years. Given that caveat, what do you think is the port QM2 has visited the third most often (after Southampton and New York) based on her scheduled itineraries?

I'll reveal the answer I have after waiting at least 24 hours to comment further. Until then, go ahead and guess away.

Edited by bluemarble

I said I wasn't going to comment further for at least 24 hours, but I'd like to hear your answer for QM2's third most visited port regardless of whether it's the same answer as someone else has already given. All those who provide the correct answer will be acknowledged.

• Like 1

One would like to think the third most visited port is Hamilton, since that is where she is registered, but QM2 wouldn't come close to fitting the port in Hamilton.

Hamburg came to mind first, but I will guess Halifax just to be different.

1 hour ago, Lanky Lad said:

I am sure this is a new port.   To help it's part of the trip to Cape Town.

07.jpg

That hint helped a lot, along with having QE2 itineraries available. This looks like Porto Grande, St Vincent (São Vicente), Cape Verde Islands. Yes, most definitely a new port for this thread.

13 hours ago, bluemarble said:

That hint helped a lot, along with having QE2 itineraries available. This looks like Porto Grande, St Vincent (São Vicente), Cape Verde Islands. Yes, most definitely a new port for this thread.

Correct.  Porto Grande did not really live up to it's name.

On 10/21/2020 at 10:23 AM, bluemarble said:

... Not surprisingly, the two ports that QM2 has visited the most often are Southampton and New York in that order. What port has QM2 visited the third most often? ...

Thanks to everyone who responded so far to the trivia question I posed yesterday about the port QM2 has visited third most often, after Southampton and New York. I also would have guessed Hamburg. I was surprised to find out that's not the case. I suppose that's what promoted me to pose that question here in the first place.

It turns out Hamburg is QM2's fourth most visited port. Halifax is also a good guess but it only happens to be QM2's seventh most visited port.

The reason we don't think of the ports that are higher on the list ahead of Hamburg and Halifax has a lot to do with how QM2's itineraries have changed over the years. During her first 7 years of service (2004 through 2010), QM2 visited the third-place port 62 times. During her next 9+ years (2011 onward), QM2 only visited that port 14 times. QM2 did not do traditional world/exotic voyages in 2004, 2005 and 2008. During those three years alone she managed to piled up 40 visits to that third-place port.

The ports that are in fifth and sixth place (ahead of Halifax) are also in the same part of the world as the port that's in third place.

One final little oddity. From what I'm seeing, QE has never called at QM2's third most visited port.

With these extra tidbits of information, give it another try to work out what QM2 port is in third place ahead of Hamburg. I promise I'll reveal the answer tomorrow.

5 hours ago, bluemarble said:

One final little oddity. From what I'm seeing, QE has never called at QM2's third most visited port.

39 minutes ago, Kynance said:

based on one of your clues and because there never seems to be a call in the region which doesn’t include it, I agree with @exlondoner - Funchal in Madeira? 

But the QE has been to Funchal, Madeira.