Avocado Guacamole Class

5 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I was thinking that was vastly overpriced to learn to make something as easy as guac; I mean, it's just mashing up some veg ... but if it includes a tequila tasting and a lunch, that's a decent price.  

Agree.  I make excellent guacamole.  Here's my recipe:  

- 1 avocado, ripe enough to feel soft when you squeeze it, but no brown spots 

- 1 lime

- 1 Roma tomato 

- 1-2 scallions 

- 1-2 cloves of fresh garlic 

- Salt & pepper to taste 

Use a fork to mush the avocado in a bowl.  Squeeze the juice of the lime over the avocado and mush again (this prevents browning).  Chop and stir in the other items.  Serve immediately -- in addition to being good on tortilla chips or tacos, it's excellent on a hamburger.  This does not store well.  

And I didn't charge you $35.  

Living in Mexico, if a restaurant, served  this, it would be our last visit. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

- 1 avocado, ripe enough to feel soft when you squeeze it, but no brown spots 

- 1 lime

- 1 Roma tomato 

- 1-2 scallions 

- 1-2 cloves of fresh garlic 

- Salt & pepper to taste 

Use a fork to mush the avocado in a bowl.  Squeeze the juice of the lime over the avocado and mush again (this prevents browning).  Chop and stir in the other items.  Serve immediately -- in addition to being good on tortilla chips or tacos, it's excellent on a hamburger.  This does not store well.  

Oh, no -- I forgot to say "one jalapeno".  

3 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

A avocado is a fruit, actually a single seed berry.  Just splitting Hares 😃

image.png.b63ac146f2da298e6adac3ce9ab75f5a.png

You're right!  And the tomato is a fruit as well.  

20 minutes ago, Seville2Cabo said:

Living in Mexico, if a restaurant, served  this, it would be our last visit. 

Any point in saying mean things here?  If you don't like the recipe, move on. 

• Like 1

On 8/25/2020 at 6:51 AM, LuCruise said:

Is this new?  I just noticed an "Avocado Fiesta Guacamole Class" in my cruise planner for my Harmony cruise.  Don't remember seeing that before.  I thought perhaps it's a Harmony thing since it has Sabor but it's also offered on my Freedom cruise  (but not on Anthem).  Could be fun.

I'm/we are on the Harmony next January. I sure hope it is an available activity.  I love me some Guac.  I make it at home.  No recipe, just a little of this and a little of that and a whole bunch of the other thing.  The two items that are in the whole bunch category are 1. Garlic and 2. Avocado.  

Edited by Ret MP
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 8/25/2020 at 4:59 AM, mek said:

It was fun - I did it on Allure a couple of years ago. The lunch was delicious.  Just understand that unlike the sushi class, this is a simply a demo and a chef prepares the guac in front of everyone.

My mother and I took the guacamole class on Allure in January 2023. The Chef demonstrates how to make the guacamole and then you make your own guacamole at your table with the ingredients and utensils provided. The Chef also demonstrated how to make a margarita and everyone is served a margarita fresh from the bar. The 3 course lunch that came with the class was excellent. You had your choice of main course and I think appetizer. I think the dessert was the same for everyone. They also gave you homemade salsa and chips at your table to eat along with your guacamole you made. And they give you a copy of the guacamole recipe. It was a really fun and delicious class and well worth the price. We're going to do the class again when we go on Harmony in January 2024. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/31/2020 at 8:35 PM, gatour said:

For those that want to participate, feel free to come to my house.  I will be happy to provide all of the ingredients for everyone to make their own version for about $10/person and the necessary instruction.

In all seriousness making quac is relatively simple and the ingredient list is relatively short.

Most important is making sure the the avocados are properly ripe.  I.E. not too hard but not too soft.

After that you would need a lime for the juice, a bit of chopped fresh jalapeno, a bit of chopped white onion, some chopped plum tomatoes.   And cilantro.  And then a bit of salt.

Instead of the jalapeno, I sometimes substitute several dashes of hot sauce.

It is all about balance and the flavor profile you enjoy.

exactly how I make it. 

Edited by njsmom

• 7 months later...
36 minutes ago, sockmonkeygirl said:

This class is on sale for my cruise $34.  If it includes the tequila tasting and a margarita, seems like you could nearly drink the price you paid and walk away happy, no? 🙃

I did this on Allure several years ago and it was delicious - we were served several margaritas in addition to the tequila tasting.  Glad I didn't have to drive home.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sockmonkeygirl said:

This class is on sale for my cruise $34.  If it includes the tequila tasting and a margarita, seems like you could nearly drink the price you paid and walk away happy, no? 🙃

When I did it on Allure this summer, we were only offered one margarita and I don't recall a tequila tasting. There was a bit on the history and different styles of tequila, but no sampling of the different varieties. It was still a full lunch with a range of Sabor items alongside the guacamole we made however. I thought it was worthwhile for the price if everything on offer sounds appealing.