Australia New Zealand closed. How Can They Take Bookings

alwaysonaship

I also have booked one of the Australian cruises in December this year and yes it is very annoying that we dont know what will happen with it and the final payment will be due soon. 

But in some credit to Celebrity here, they are a bit at the mercy of the governments too. I am not sure where I read it but its believe there is an update due before the 17th September i.e. when the current cruise ship ban expires as to whether they extend the ban or not. If they extend it, it likely means there will not be much, if any, of a cruise season there. So I don't think Celebrity will make any major movements until they see what is announced

• Thanks 1

Will you make final payment? We will not. My husband has been diagnosed with a very rare cancer of the red blood cells, and with COVID-19 lurking, we cannot take any chances. He could live many years, but it is one of those things we cannot predict, and taking a trip like that and risking his life isn’t worth it.

We have been there three times, and under normal circumstances we would look forward to it, but it is just too risky. Honestly I don’t think Australia or New Zealand will open up for at least 6 months.

Edited by alwaysonaship
  • Like 4

There's the cruise ship ban, and then there's international travel which are two separate things.

Note also that Celebrity just (finally) cancelled its October sailings in Australia, so it's not waiting on the cruise ship ban date to be amended, if they're not going to be operating there regardless.

The chance of cruise ships sailing later this year out of Australia is low - but a possibility. However, for them to have international travellers on them is almost certainly not going to happen. Keep in mind they are two separate aspects.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/26/2020 at 12:35 PM, alwaysonaship said:

How can Celebrity sell cruises for Australia and New Zealand when they are closed. I know they want our money, but this is wrong.

Perhaps a more interesting question is, assuming that these new bookings are actually being sold, why are people making such bookings at this time?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, NantahalaCruiser said:

Perhaps a more interesting question is, assuming that these new bookings are actually being sold, why are people making such bookings at this time?

I have no idea. As I said before we like Australia and wanted to go again. They know these cruises are not sailing...we booked the end of Jan ..And COVID-19 was barely in the news then. 

Edited by alwaysonaship

I think we pretty much know that Australia is not going to be open for cruises for the next 6 months. The national carrier has said it won't look at starting international flights until mid 2021. There are many Australian citizens still struggling to get home with the current restrictions on numbers allowed to enter. Is it ethical to take bookings and deposits? Well I guess it is a question of personal opinion. I think we all have a different level or risk/optimism. I have two cruises booked next year one from Florida in January and one from Sydney in May. I would be surprised if either operates so will do my best to avoid the final payments and shift the deposits around. I would rather write off the deposit than wait months for the cruise line to pay my full refund back.

• Like 1

We have Aussie friends that live in Melbourne, in the State of Victoria.   They are very upset with their Premier of Victoria, who just extended the shutdown for the state for a YEAR.

I don't think cruises stop in Victoria, we visited Melbourne and surrounding areas in 2018 on our own.

1 hour ago, 4774Papa said:

We have Aussie friends that live in Melbourne, in the State of Victoria.   They are very upset with their Premier of Victoria, who just extended the shutdown for the state for a YEAR.

I don't think cruises stop in Victoria, we visited Melbourne and surrounding areas in 2018 on our own.

That isn't correct. The state is not "shutdown" for another year.

What has been REQUESTED is an extension to the MAXIMUM DURATION of a state of emergency.  As the duration is not known - as discussed in this and many other threads - this just allows the actual state of emergency currently scheduled until September 13 to be extended further.

There's enough uncertainty without people making up facts of their own.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, The_Big_M said:

That isn't correct. The state is not "shutdown" for another year.

What has been REQUESTED is an extension to the MAXIMUM DURATION of a state of emergency.  As the duration is not known - as discussed in this and many other threads - this just allows the actual state of emergency currently scheduled until September 13 to be extended further.

There's enough uncertainty without people making up facts of their own.

Thanks for the update.  

3 hours ago, 4774Papa said:

I stopped at Melbourne on a cruise, so they definitely stopped there. We also stopped in Geelong which is in Victoria. The painted Bollards are a major feature at Geelong. Lot's of fun. 

DSC01018.JPG

DSC01039.JPG

DSC01062.JPG

• Like 2

Zero chance our international borders will be open to the Northern Hemisphere this year, and most likely not until late next year unless a vaccine suddenly materialises prior.

At best this year, there may be some travel bubbles with countries such as New Zealand, Fiji etc. but that’s about it.

So for anyone questioning if their cruise may or may go ahead over our summer....it won’t. 

Edited by Ronin23
  • Like 2

On 8/26/2020 at 9:35 AM, alwaysonaship said:

How can Celebrity sell cruises for Australia and New Zealand when they are closed. I know they want our money, but this is wrong.

Why does it bother you? Don't book if you don't think they will be open.

If you think you can do a better job running operations & sales, drop a resume to 1050 Caribbean Way. Miami, FL 33132, Attn Kimberly Tate.

• Like 1