NCL to cruisers: "When we cancel your cruise, we'll be keeping your FCC"

AdamBATL

On 9/3/2020 at 5:41 PM, AdamBATL said:

Will I do business with a company that feels that they can simply elect to keep my money rather than extend the deadline so I can use my FCC as it was originally intended?  No, when they swipe my money, I'm done with them.  Should you do business with such a company?

You have a cruise booked using your FCC. Sail on that cruise and use the FCC. Enjoy. 

If you decide that you don't want to sail, then the loss of the FCC is on you. If NCL cancels the cruise or substantively changes it, they will compensate you under the rules at the time of the cancellation/change. Given where we are, it would just be a wild guess by a guest services rep on what is happening with your cruise. 

Like any good business, consistent application of policy is the only way to operate. With 10's of thousands of reservations weekly, everyone has a sad story. A company won't stay in business trying to adjudicate and accommodate every sad story. 

• Like 2

I agree with Bird travels.

To the op,

You must have had a very strong reason to book Norwegian in preference to all the other Cruise lines.

I would prefer to book a cruise on a cruise line which rewards me with $600 OBC for transferring my deposit to another Cruise

I enjoyed my past Norwegian Cruises, but of late I haven't found any compelling reasons to choose Norwegian over all the others.

I was tempted to book Norwegian Jade, when they crashed it's price in Feb 2020 to $33 per person per night for a Singapore departure.

On 9/3/2020 at 5:41 PM, AdamBATL said:

I had a cruise on 2/16/19 changed on me (due to problems at NCL) and the result was a Future Cruise Credit that must be used by 2/15/21.  If you don't know what a FCC is, it is a partial refund of the money that you paid for the original cruise, but applied to a future cruise rather than returned to you in cash.  You must book another cruise if you want the use of your money.  It is not a gift.

Last year, I booked a Panama Canal cruise on 1/16/21.  As I have been watching month after month of cruises being canceled by NCL, I contacted guest relations to see whether my FCC would be extended to the same time as the FCCs they're issuing for cash deposits on this cruise.  The answer is a resounding "no".  They will return the FCC to me, with the original expiration date, meaning that it will expire with no opportunity to use it, meaning that they will be helping themselves to my money - money they should have been refunded when the original cruise was changed:

"After a thorough review of your file, it was determined that your concerns were appropriately addressed.  Unfortunately, we feel there is little we can add without reiterating what has already been mentioned previously.
In the event your future reservation is cancelled, any future cruise credit or CruiseNext Deposit applied as payment will be returned to your latitude account with the existing expiration dates.

While we are sorry to learn of your continued disappointment with our previous responses, our position in this matter remains firm.  Regrettably, we are unable to extend any further consideration for this issue. "

Will I do business with a company that feels that they can simply elect to keep my money rather than extend the deadline so I can use my FCC as it was originally intended?  No, when they swipe my money, I'm done with them.  Should you do business with such a company?

You need to wait and see what happens. IMO NCL is going to be extending all of these FCCs after they start sailing again. They can't legally keep your money IF they changed a cruise.

• Like 1

You need to wait and see what happens. IMO NCL is going to be extending all of these FCCs after they start sailing again. They can't legally keep your money IF they changed a cruise.
As long as there are some Cruises definitely sailing before the expiry date, they may not extend the validity of the FCC.
The OP will have to choose one of those Cruises

20 hours ago, drsel said:

As long as there are some Cruises definitely sailing before the expiry date, they may not extend the validity of the FCC.
The OP will have to choose one of those Cruises

There are so many FCCs out there that they are not going to have a choice but to extend them

• Like 1

On 9/6/2020 at 7:01 AM, drsel said:

I was tempted to book Norwegian Jade, when they crashed it's price in Feb 2020 to $33 per person per night for a Singapore departure.

Since you're a celebrity fan, the Millenium prices also crashed during that same time period.  I think only one sailing actually departed (my in laws were on that one).  Subsequent ones were canceled, including the one I booked.

Since you're a celebrity fan, the Millenium prices also crashed during that same time period.  I think only one sailing actually departed (my in laws were on that one).  Subsequent ones were canceled, including the one I booked.

Yes, but we had already sailed Millennium on the same route. 

Also we had 2 other Cruises booked in Feb 2020.

I suspect that the Norwegian Jade Feb 2020 Cruise from Singapore (which was available at a bargain price) was also cancelled.

Hey we were on the cruise before yours that hit the pier in San Juan...sorry about that! But since we were just sitting on our balcony and not guiding the ship, guess we can't be to blame.  We received FCC from the "EpicFail" as well.  Now with 2 cancelled cruises (March and October) under our belt, our experience is that the FCC keeps popping back into our account. Some of it shows up in your Latitides account but some only shows up where the cruise consultants can see/apply it to your balance. So worth the phone call when booking before you pay in full. Hoping our next two bookings (Jan and March) sail!

I'm glad you'll like Carnival. if anyone survives, it will be Carnival.  They are making moves to become more profitable after Covid. 
I would prefer to be a shareholder of a more profitable company and a consumer of a loss making one

I enjoyed my past Norwegian Cruises, but of late I haven't found any compelling reasons to choose Norwegian over all the others.

Norwegian was cheaper than Costa in Feb 2020!

Norwegian Jade was the cheapest cruise available at 33 dollars a day ( including all port fees and taxes) from Singapore to Dubai in an inside cabin on Feb 27th 2020.

Be careful about paying much more than 33 dollars a day ! (including all ports fees and taxes)