Where in the world is HAL?

bennybear

34 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

When was your Zuiderdam cruise in Prins Christian Sund?  We were on the Seabourn Quest August of 2018 and scenic cruising there on August 9, 2018.  This was followed by about 6 stops in Greenland ports and some awesome Canadian ports.

It was the 2019 Voyage of the Vikings.  On the way, we missed Paamiut because of weather on Aug. 6, but called at Nanortalik on Aug. 7 after the weather cleared a bit.  The next day, Aug. 8, the weather was stunning in the Sund.  Sounds like Seabourn Quest was doing the cruise you had taken in 2018 if we passed her in the Sund.  We were heading east towards Iceland ports, and she was going west toward persumably western Greenland ports.

Dave

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RetiredMustang said:

It was the 2019 Voyage of the Vikings.  On the way, we missed Paamiut because of weather on Aug. 6, but called at Nanortalik on Aug. 7 after the weather cleared a bit.  The next day, Aug. 8, the weather was stunning in the Sund.  Sounds like Seabourn Quest was doing the cruise you had taken in 2018 if we passed her in the Sund.  We were heading east towards Iceland ports, and she was going west toward persumably western Greenland ports.

Dave

I thought perhaps we were both there at the same time.  That would have been nice to discover.

I have a very nice photo taken from the Quest from our Antarctica cruise of the Zaandam going in the opposite direction in Neumayer Channel.  That was in Dec. 2016-January 2017 and we had a bright sunny day while in Neumayer Channel.  Not only did I get a nice shot of the Zaandam, we later received a video of our cruise and on it was a fantastic photo from above of the two ships passing each other.  Let me see if I can find those photos to post here.

2 hours ago, RetiredMustang said:

Southern Italian architecture, a mountain that looks familiar, but not from the usual postcard angle.  Looks like Vesuvius but from the south, like around Pompei looking north.

Dave

You’re very warm,  but neither are correct.

10 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Wow absolute stunning!   Thanks for sharing! 

It was the most amazing cruise ever.  I would love to do it again on Seabourn.  We had an "Antarctica experience" on our Coral Princess cruise in January of this year, and it was of course no comparison.  But at least I got to see some of the scenery again.

On Seabourn you have Zodiacs which are stored on those little jutting out wings on the port and starboard sides at the aft.  There are small cranes attached there to lower them to the water.  Right above them across the back is a deck where our boot lockers and benches were located.  From the boot area you headed down to the tender platforms to board the Zodiacs.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

It was the most amazing cruise ever.  I would love to do it again on Seabourn.  We had an "Antarctica experience" on our Coral Princess cruise in January of this year, and it was of course no comparison.  But at least I got to see some of the scenery again.

On Seabourn you have Zodiacs which are stored on those little jutting out wings on the port and starboard sides at the aft.  There are small cranes attached there to lower them to the water.  Right above them across the back is a deck where our boot lockers and benches were located.  From the boot area you headed down to the tender platforms to board the Zodiacs.

Oh I am drooling!   We have loved Alaska, and Norway but have been worried about the Drake for Antarctica.   Is this better?  

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

Oh I am drooling!   We have loved Alaska, and Norway but have been worried about the Drake for Antarctica.   Is this better?  

Well of course with everything that is included in your premium fare, it was outstanding.  The weather was also in our favor most of the time.  We were supposed to be in Antarctica six days but had to scoot out of there just a tad early due to a storm crossing between the Antarctica peninsula and South Georgia Island.  But all the other days in Antarctica were so great, we didn't feel too cheated.  Plus they gave us an extra day at South Georgia Island, and since that's the reason we took the "holiday" cruise, we were not too upset.  The rest of the sailings from Nov. to Feb. went to the Falkland Islands but we have been there enough times already, so we booked that Christmas/New Year time period specifically to see South Georgia.  What a fantastic place to visit!  Great wildlife.  The Drake Passage wasn't that bad, and we've crossed it twice now.  So don't let that hold you back!  We love Alaska and Norway, too but if you can get to Antarctica, do it!  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RetiredMustang said:

Where is Eurodam (sorry for the smaller picture, but it's the only one I could find in my files).

1728593634_WhereisEurodam.jpg.0346c95aa76b0d718f5bd9dd358d4eaa.jpg

Dave

I know the Eurodam has done a northern Atlantic crossing in the past, and wondering if this is somewhere along the way.  I don't recoginize the port area.

1 minute ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

I've not been to Antartica, but fear it is too late for this type of cruising.

These are truly outstanding pics.  

Oh I hope you're wrong, but I fear you're not!

Can you see all the people lining the rails of the Zaandam enjoying the scenic cruising that late afternoon?  Most of us on the Quest were enjoying a Champagne and Caviar party on the pool deck at the center of the ship.  (They also had a large selection of vodkas on ice, too).  They literally had blocks of ice with holes drilled partway through where they would nestle the vodka bottles to keep them cold.  Kind of like a cozy on a beer bottle.  A good time was being had by all - then suddenly we heard the Zaandam tooting its horn at us and we went to the rails to salute them with our champagne glasses.  It was an awesome experience!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

I know the Eurodam has done a northern Atlantic crossing in the past, and wondering if this is somewhere along the way.  I don't recoginize the port area.

Yes, it was on a Viking Passage cruise and was one of the ports along the way.  (We actually did 3 Viking Passage cruises over the years.)

Hint:  There were fish pens we could see from the pier.  We were told that, if you buy farmed Atlantic salmon, odds are it came from here.

Dave

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

Wow! Was this before a dock was available?

Don't believe so; Both the Alaska Steamship Dock (AS) and what used to be known as the Alaska Ferry Dock (since rebuilt as the Cruise Terminal Dock (CT) and nowadays part of the two new floating docks that were built in 2017 and 2018) have been around for a while