Carnival fares TGTBT?

cleobella

I am looking at some of the European itineraries for fall 2021 and notice that Carnival seems to have prices that are about half the cost of other cruise lines (I've looked at NCL, Princess, Celebrity, all lines we have used previously).  We have sailed with Carnival several times and know it is a "cheap and cheerful" line, always a nice trip, but I've never seen the prices this much lower then other companies.  This makes the skeptic in me suspicious. I wonder if they are in better or worse shape then competitors and if the cruise will be really bare bones, or services will be scaled back, due to the very low prices?  Would love to book, but am hesitating.  Would be interested in opinions.   

I would think a European cruise would be all about the ports.... so if I could do the same itinerary for 1/2 the price I'd grab it while you can!  The onboard experience might not measure up to Celebrity, but I highly doubt it would be sub-standard.

Book whatever line is the best deal. I'm not partial. Rcl right now better deals for me out of Galveston than ccl. I'm sure vardy by date, ship, port. If europe is half the price of rcl, then I'd pick carnival. No brainer. 

I was able to book a rcl cruise today, that inside was 704 with taxes and fees, vista is 860 for 1A, with taxes and fees. Hence now I'm at 1 vista cruise, and 6 on liberty, 7 days out of Galveston. Actually got a hump balcony today for 888.xx I think total, dont have invoice, $26 more than a 1A on carnival. I'm loyal to none. I book the best deal. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, cleobella said:

I am looking at some of the European itineraries for fall 2021 and notice that Carnival seems to have prices that are about half the cost of other cruise lines (I've looked at NCL, Princess, Celebrity, all lines we have used previously).  We have sailed with Carnival several times and know it is a "cheap and cheerful" line, always a nice trip, but I've never seen the prices this much lower then other companies.  This makes the skeptic in me suspicious. I wonder if they are in better or worse shape then competitors and if the cruise will be really bare bones, or services will be scaled back, due to the very low prices?  Would love to book, but am hesitating.  Would be interested in opinions.   

This is the problem with Carnival in Europe next fall....There is only ONE ship.. Carnival Legend, and if Carnival decides to pull it. What happens then? I was booked for this year..Canceled! Then I booked for next fall, but I started looking at the bigger picture and pulled my booking....If you must do the Med next year...Start looking at MSC or Costa!

Hope you find something!😀

I also wanted to add that both Costa and MSC have a bigger presence out of Italy that do most other cruise lines

Edited by mpdog42
add

44 minutes ago, mpdog42 said:

This is the problem with Carnival in Europe next fall....There is only ONE ship.. Carnival Legend, and if Carnival decides to pull it. What happens then? I was booked for this year..Canceled! Then I booked for next fall, but I started looking at the bigger picture and pulled my booking....If you must do the Med next year...Start looking at MSC or Costa!

Hope you find something!😀

I also wanted to add that both Costa and MSC have a bigger presence out of Italy that do most other cruise lines

To be fair, everyone's European cruises were cancelled.  It wasn't just Carnival. 

Regardless of cruise line, the big question is will Europe accept American tourists. 

To be fair, everyone's European cruises were cancelled.  It wasn't just Carnival. 

Regardless of cruise line, the big question is will Europe accept American tourists. 
After one year, there will be a vaccine or the virus will be under control.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/15/2020 at 3:40 PM, cleobella said:

If you've been on a Carnival cruise then you'll know what to expect. On a European itinerary it's less of a party atmosphere since it's not the Caribbean and especially since you're looking at the Fall cruises even more so. As others have said it's all about the port stops.

I'll be on the Legend July 4th for a great itinerary of places I've never been to: Belfast, Isle of Skye,Scotland,four ports in Iceland, and The Shetland Islands, UK. As with you we normally go on Royal, Celebrity or even NCL for the European sailings but as you see the Legend is very cost effective. 

I was on the Legend  last year for a long Hawaii cruise and it was perfectly fine. Is it anything like Celebrity? Absolutely not. It's an older ship with the Las Vegas theme style decor; Over the top Urns are attached literally on every surface of the ship. 

The good thing about the Legend is that there are some of the newer dining and bar options that were added; Guys Burgers,Blue Iguana,Red Rum, Etc. 

They also added The Alchemy Bar. One thing to note is when they added the Alchemy Bar they de-themed that particular area and not one Urn was left on the walls. You could picture if the whole ship was renovated like it is at the Alchemy Bar how much nicer and more contemporary the decor would be (At least it's not those horrid giant pink circles as on the Splendor).

I would not hesitate to book a Fall European cruise on the Legend AS LONG as you're going into it with open eyes with regard to the age, design and decor of the ship and Carnival's food,dining and Entertainment offerings.

Edited by kwokpot

The other overwrought design element on the Carnival Legend is the overuse of Crown moldings. TBH that design element is what really dates the ship. Instead just applying the molding to the top of the walk near the ceiling the moldings are everywhere AND it's doubled. 

I've attached photos of what was the Atlantis Bar and became the Alchemy Bar. The last two photos are of the same exact space;Pre and post renovation. Notice in the renovated picture they kept the molding but reduced the amount of it to just the top and also lightened up the walls and of course new furniture.

Screenshot_20200916-180030.png

Screenshot_20200916-175907.png

IMG_20191008_090805.jpg

Edited by kwokpot

3 hours ago, drsel said:
6 hours ago, cruizergal70 said:

After one year, there will be a vaccine or the virus will be under control.

I don't think anyone can say that with any certainty.  If there's no vaccine yet, the virus won't be "under control".  Herd immunity would likely take years.

I don't think anyone can say that with any certainty.  If there's no vaccine yet, the virus won't be "under control".  Herd immunity would likely take years.

Even a hundred years ago, without any vaccine and with very basic medicines; the Spanish flu was controlled or faded away / disappeared in two years. 

23 hours ago, cruizergal70 said:

This is true...However my point in.. which nobody could successful argue, is that what IF Carnival pulls Legend from med cruises next year and therefor might give a look to MSC or Costa being that they have more ships based in that part of the world....Are the different that Carnival? Sure....Go to the MSC or Costa boards and ask questions....but do you want to book air, hotels, tours,

trains...based upon the availability of one ship from one company?

19 hours ago, mpdog42 said:

This is true...However my point in.. which nobody could successful argue, is that what IF Carnival pulls Legend from med cruises next year and therefor might give a look to MSC or Costa being that they have more ships based in that part of the world....Are the different that Carnival? Sure....Go to the MSC or Costa boards and ask questions....but do you want to book air, hotels, tours,

trains...based upon the availability of one ship from one company?

I booked my 2021 Europe cruise in 2019 with full knowledge that Carnival only has one ship in Europe most of the time. It didn't bother me then and it doesn't bother me now. I'll have no problem booking air and hotels after January as I originally planned.

When I book a cruise, I don't count the number of ships offered in a region. If it gets cancelled,  then that's life.

I don't see that the Legend sailings for next fall are cheaper at all!  In fact, I'm rather hoping that our final med/TA cruises are cancelled (haven't they cancelled the eastbound sailing so my question is still 'how & when are they getting the ship to Europe?') because I absolutely love the final med/TA I found on MSC and would much prefer to sail.  Have cruise friends booked on Legend, though, or I'd go ahead and cancel myself and re-book on MSC.

Is OP comparing Carnival fares to sailings on other lines that include perks?  Of course those will have a higher starting price that Legend.

I haven't been on Legend but have sailed Pride & Miracle.  Love the Spirit-class ships.  One of the reasons I've liked HAL so much is that the ships are very much like the Spirit-class.  I don't like the Farcus-designed ships but I don't really care about decor.

Thanks all for the responses. Sorry to throw everyone with my "TGTBT", but my made up  acronym did create a buzz! I was just thinking maybe the price was too good, but decided to put my deposit down anyway. As long as the ship is clean and the service is good we can live with some older decor. I will turn a blind eye to all the Urns.  We actually find that older ships can be nice in that the crew is often made up of folks who have been with the ship forever and they treat it like home, in a good way. I love these stops so it should be a nice cruise. Unless of course COVID gets in the way, but we've got a year to see what happens. My travel addiction has been satisfied for a bit anyhow.