Yokohama hotels

jabrown40

Someday we will all get to cruise again, and I'm planning for the future.  We would be leaving from Yokohama, and plan 2 nights prior to our departure.  I've been looking at the New Grand hotel, and the Royal Park Hotel.  Does anyone have any input?  I've read a few trip advisor reviews, but I'm still kind of stuck.  I like the idea of being right outside of Chinatown, but the Royal Park appears more elegant, and seems like more of a splurge.  Any feedback as to area, accommodations, etc would be appreciated.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

In August 2018 we stayed at the Daiwa Roynet - Koen hotel.  Pretty reasonable rate, very clean.  It's across the street from the Yokohama baseball park and right near Chinatown.  I found it on trip advisors, it had good ratings. It's close to the port so a taxi was less than $20.  

Jabrown40,

It may be helpful for you to understand that Japanese Hotels have a generally very high standard - not only for cleanliness, but also for quality and service. These standards are quite a bit higher than what you find in America.

There probably are a few poor hotels in Japan, but in over 30 years living and traveling here, I have never encountered one.

Both the hotels mentioned in your post are very nice. Both are close to Chinatown and the Osanbashi Cruise Terminal. You will be quite happy with either one.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/4/2020 at 4:03 PM, jabrown40 said:

Someday we will all get to cruise again, and I'm planning for the future.  We would be leaving from Yokohama, and plan 2 nights prior to our departure.  I've been looking at the New Grand hotel, and the Royal Park Hotel.  Does anyone have any input?  I've read a few trip advisor reviews, but I'm still kind of stuck.  I like the idea of being right outside of Chinatown, but the Royal Park appears more elegant, and seems like more of a splurge.  Any feedback as to area, accommodations, etc would be appreciated.

I love this! Keep the good thoughts going, it will get better, right now we simply don't know when, but it will. A lot of the time, planning gets rushed, or we overlook it entirely, or don't get to enjoy it as much. It was always one of the most favorite parts of any journey and continues to be. 

Certain expeditions required a lot more planning and my first trip to Asia was certainly one of them. It didn't prepare me for how fascinating and wondrous it would be and nothing but some experience prepares you (somewhat!) a new cultural immersion with such rich history. At least not to the extent I would have preferred, which may have required some of the reading I did AFTER I got home from that trip, to satisfy my new found wonder and curiosity. 

Fill your dance cards with plans everyone, it will happen. Grab all the books, maps, guides you can now and start the dreams/plans for whatever is next. For now, keep well and carry on. We'll get there. 🙂 

• Like 1

On 10/24/2020 at 11:25 AM, BruceMuzz said:

Jabrown40,

It may be helpful for you to understand that Japanese Hotels have a generally very high standard - not only for cleanliness, but also for quality and service. These standards are quite a bit higher than what you find in America.

There probably are a few poor hotels in Japan, but in over 30 years living and traveling here, I have never encountered one.

Both the hotels mentioned in your post are very nice. Both are close to Chinatown and the Osanbashi Cruise Terminal. You will be quite happy with either one.

Just a small note.

Not all cruise ships moor at Osanbashi Cruise Terminal. Generally those ships larger than Diamond Princess will use Daikoku Terminal, since they cannot pass under the bridge and reach Osanbashi. Diamond Princess will also be at Daikoku in the future.

21 hours ago, Cruise Wonderland said:

Just a small note.

Not all cruise ships moor at Osanbashi Cruise Terminal. Generally those ships larger than Diamond Princess will use Daikoku Terminal, since they cannot pass under the bridge and reach Osanbashi. Diamond Princess will also be at Daikoku in the future.

Uhhh, not quite correct.

There is no low bridge to go under to get to Osanbashi Cruise Terminal in Yokohama.

Ships that go to the Daikoku cargo terminal do so because they either want to pay a lower docking fee, or because Osanbashi Terminal is already full.

The bridge you are talking about is probably the Rainbow Bridge over Tokyo Bay, which prevents larger ships from calling at Tokyo’s Harumi Cruise Terminal, which is located right downtown in Tokyo.  (Harumi is located in the middle of the new Tokyo Olympics Village)

In September, the new Tokyo International Cruise Terminal opened just South of the Rainbow Bridge, allowing cruise ships of any size to dock much closer to Tokyo. This new Terminal is located about halfway between Haneda Airport and Tokyo City. When international cruising resumes in Japan, you will most likely see many of the ships calling at the new Tokyo Terminal.

37 minutes ago, BruceMuzz said:

Uhhh, not quite correct.

There is no low bridge to go under to get to Osanbashi Cruise Terminal in Yokohama.

Ships that go to the Daikoku cargo terminal do so because they either want to pay a lower docking fee, or because Osanbashi Terminal is already full.

The bridge you are talking about is probably the Rainbow Bridge over Tokyo Bay, which prevents larger ships from calling at Tokyo’s Harumi Cruise Terminal, which is located right downtown in Tokyo.  (Harumi is located in the middle of the new Tokyo Olympics Village)

In September, the new Tokyo International Cruise Terminal opened just South of the Rainbow Bridge, allowing cruise ships of any size to dock much closer to Tokyo. This new Terminal is located about halfway between Haneda Airport and Tokyo City. When international cruising resumes in Japan, you will most likely see many of the ships calling at the new Tokyo Terminal.

You're right about Rainbow bridge and the new terminal in Tokyo. But I haven't mixed up Yokohama and Tokyo. I have been to both Yokohama and Tokyo for a couple of times.

The Yokohama Bay Bridge (横浜ベイブリッジ) is the obstacle which makes large cruise ships unable to dock at Osanbashi. You may think it is not a low bridge with a clearance of 55 metres. However many large ships nowadays are even taller than 55 metres at their highest point.

Diamond Princess and Sapphire Princess (115875 tons) are the largest ship that can pass under Yokohama Bay Bridge (and thus dock at Osanbashi). Below picture is my previous voyage on Celebrity Millennium (90940 tons) which could also sail under the bridge.

For some larger ships which have ever visited Yokohama, such as Quantum of the Seas (168666 tons), Norwegian Joy (167725 tons), Queen Mary 2 (149215 tons), Voyager of the Seas (138194 tons), MSC Splendida (137936 tons), none of them have managed to pass under the bridge since they are all taller than (or close to the limit of) 55 metres. These gigantic ships can only berth at Daikoku.

CIMG5661.JPG

• 1 month later...

This thread makes me a little sad.  We just had our third Asian cruise (scheduled for April 2021) cancelled.  Each of those cruises was going to be part of an extended independent trip to Japan (pre/post cruise).  We have already booked a similar Asian cruise for 2022 and it will be hard for me to get motivated to start making land plans, booking hotels,  train pass, etc. I AM SICK AND TIRED OF HAVING THINGS CANCELLED AND HAVING TO CANCEL MY OWN TRAVEL ARRANGEMENTS!  And I do not apologize for shouting.  If COVID or old age doesn't kill me first, the frustration with travel plans gone awry might do me in :(.   We recently cancelled our April stay at the Royal Park.  End of rant.

Hank

• 1 month later...

How do I find out which ships will be docking in 2022 at the new International Cruise Terminal vs Osanbashi/Yokohama or Harumi?  We are looking at a HAL Noordam cruise followed by a sailing on the Azamara Journey.  Right now, online brokers show the Noordam at Yokohama and the Journey at Harumi.  Would be great if both were out of the new terminal.

• 1 month later...

We had a nice stay at the Intercontinental Yokohama Grand in 2018. A beautiful hotel, maybe not as convenient as the other hotels mentioned  as it is a little away from public transportation. Can't beat the views though. Here is my record of our stay there: http://chiumemories.blogspot.com/2018/06/intercontinental-yokohama-grand.html

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

In 2019, we stayed at the Yokohama Bay Sheraton Hotel and Towers. This hotel is very modern and next door is both the rail station and a large mall. If you're continuing your Japan travel, we had the hotel ship our luggage to our next hotel - very convenient. Details about this trip are at: https://travelscrivener.blogspot.com/search/label/Japan   

On 11/3/2020 at 3:42 PM, Cruise Wonderland said:

You're right about Rainbow bridge and the new terminal in Tokyo. But I haven't mixed up Yokohama and Tokyo. I have been to both Yokohama and Tokyo for a couple of times.

The Yokohama Bay Bridge (横浜ベイブリッジ) is the obstacle which makes large cruise ships unable to dock at Osanbashi. You may think it is not a low bridge with a clearance of 55 metres. However many large ships nowadays are even taller than 55 metres at their highest point.

Diamond Princess and Sapphire Princess (115875 tons) are the largest ship that can pass under Yokohama Bay Bridge (and thus dock at Osanbashi). Below picture is my previous voyage on Celebrity Millennium (90940 tons) which could also sail under the bridge.

For some larger ships which have ever visited Yokohama, such as Quantum of the Seas (168666 tons), Norwegian Joy (167725 tons), Queen Mary 2 (149215 tons), Voyager of the Seas (138194 tons), MSC Splendida (137936 tons), none of them have managed to pass under the bridge since they are all taller than (or close to the limit of) 55 metres. These gigantic ships can only berth at Daikoku.

CIMG5661.JPG

You make an excellent point.

Although it took some time, I researched the air clearance of the biggest cruise ships out there.

Of the 524 ocean-going cruise ships I researched, 19 of them are too tall to fit under the bridge.

At this point, however, none of them is scheduled to visit Japan.

• 2 months later...

We enjoyed the location and excellent views of the very comfortable New Grand hotel in Yokohama where General McArthur has his headquarters in WW2. It is also a stop for the airport buses. 

Edited by bennybear

I stayed at the Daiwa Roynet Yokohama Koen in April 2018. It is a very clean hotel, large room, incredible deep bathtub which is great at the end of a day of walking.   Lots of sightseeing, restaurants and shopping within walking distance, as is the fabulous Yokohama Chinatown.  I loved the excitement of the baseball stadium across the street and all the fans in the area for the game.

I took the train from Tokyo to Yokohama, walked to the hotel, solo senior pulling own suitcase, also walked to Osanbashi pier.  

Did a day trip by train to Kamakura which was a wonderful day.

Writing this comment makes we want to go back…………

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/2/2021 at 7:23 PM, Orlando Vic said:

Getting back to opinions about Yokohama hotels, does anyone have thoughts about the Intercontinental Yokohama Grand? The prices look very good and the reviews are all positive.

I know that this was a long time ago, However last time I cruised Japan, my husband and I stayed there for several days.  It is a modern hotel built for conventions and such but it is a great hotel.  They have, by far, the very best croissants that I have ever had including France where I have lived.  I was blown away.  The buffet breakfast is absolutely amazing.  Opt for a window by the sea.  You can see your ship.  If you like walking, you could walk to the pier, it is not that far and well paved by the sea. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
On 3/29/2021 at 10:05 PM, Donald said:

You make an excellent point.

Although it took some time, I researched the air clearance of the biggest cruise ships out there.

Of the 524 ocean-going cruise ships I researched, 19 of them are too tall to fit under the bridge.

At this point, however, none of them is scheduled to visit Japan.

Some discussion at the moment as to the Royal Princess.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Princess_(2012)

The harbour board have supposedly said it wont be at Osanbashi

Princess have advised it will.

Was/is it on your list?

14 hours ago, Aulanis said:

Some discussion at the moment as to the Royal Princess.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Princess_(2012)

The harbour board have supposedly said it wont be at Osanbashi

Princess have advised it will.

Was/is it on your list?

Royal Princess will dock at Daikoku Pier Cruise Terminal. Yokohama Port Authority will release April schedule next month.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Would recommend the New Grand Hotel in Yokohama.  Great hotel with lots of history and has a new wing as well as the old hotel.  Right across the street from Osanbashi pier and Chinatown is right behind it.  Also one of the airport buses that goes to Yokohama makes a stop at the New Grand but only runs certain hours.