Who issues refund: Carnival or Travel Agent?

lrbashley

I have yet to get a refund from my two cancelled Carnival cruises. Jason, the PVP with Carnival (who is highly recommended on here), says Carnival issued my refund to my travel agent's agency in July. My travel agent says cruise lines never refund to the agency, they refund directly to the passenger. For those of you who booked your cruise with an agent, who gave you your money back - agency or Carnival? I have been checking my credit card for the past six months and there is no credit from either!

refund is suppose to go back to the original payment the passenger used. since you booked with the travel agent, the issue is between you and the travel agent. travel agent should not be keeping payments

when you booked the cruise, was the initial payment from your carnival was it from the travel agent? some travel agents is shady and make payments using their credit card and payment methods. they are required to use your credit card for payment not theirs.

Was it a group where your payment went to the agent, if not carnival should have issued to you.

Only rare group bookings does it go to the agent.

And I'm surprised a pvp will talk to you if you booked thru a fa. They refused to talk to me. Seems odd.

I'd call your ta who you booked with. It's his responsibility to track down your refund.

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, drsel said:

Your credit card statement should show if the payment was to Carnival or to the travel agent

Not Carnival, but Princess, but our refund came back through Princess even though we booked through a TA. Both the payment and the refund showed Princess cruise line.

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Not Carnival, but Princess, but our refund came back through Princess even though we booked through a TA. Both the payment and the refund showed Princess cruise line.

Which means you paid Princess directly. The agent just used your card to process the payment (as they are supposed to).

In the OP's case, it sounds like maybe they paid the travel agent and the travel agent then paid Carnival so the refund would go to the agent and not the customer. This isn't really the proper way it should be done and will make getting the refund more complicated (but would be on the TA to resolve, not Carnival).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pyxie said:

Which means you paid Princess directly. The agent just used your card to process the payment (as they are supposed to).

In the OP's case, it sounds like maybe they paid the travel agent and the travel agent then paid Carnival so the refund would go to the agent and not the customer. This isn't really the proper way it should be done and will make getting the refund more complicated (but would be on the TA to resolve, not Carnival).

Agree with you post, and would add that it would make that TA one to avoid.

Agree with you post, and would add that it would make that TA one to avoid.

Because you are taking on the added risk of the travel agent defaulting.

Travel agents have been hit by the pandemic and are in bad financial condition right now.

9 hours ago, drsel said:

Because you are taking on the added risk of the travel agent defaulting.

Travel agents have been hit by the pandemic and are in bad financial condition right now.

Agree, that this is not a good time financially for travel agents, but even if this was before the pandemic devastated their business model, it would be unethical for the TA not to let the payment go directly to the cruise line.

On 10/8/2020 at 7:20 AM, lrbashley said:

I have yet to get a refund from my two cancelled Carnival cruises. Jason, the PVP with Carnival (who is highly recommended on here), says Carnival issued my refund to my travel agent's agency in July. My travel agent says cruise lines never refund to the agency, they refund directly to the passenger. For those of you who booked your cruise with an agent, who gave you your money back - agency or Carnival? I have been checking my credit card for the past six months and there is no credit from either!

I would suggest going back to look at credit card statements for all payments you made to the TA.  It will show who the charge went to, Carnival or the TA.  If it shows the TA, I would call Carnival and explain to them that the TA has not refunded your money, stating that the cruise line never refunds to TA.  I would try to get something in writing (even an email would help) from Carnival stating that the refund was issued to the TA.  Then you can call the TA, tell them you have proof that Carnival refunded to the TA and you expect a check immediately.  If they refuse to refund your money, you might have to sue in small claims court.  Carnival just might be interested to know that a TA is keeping customers money.  Any details about the refund that Carnival can  give you will be helpful if you have to go to small claims court over this.

1 hour ago, rufflesmom said:

I would suggest going back to look at credit card statements for all payments you made to the TA.  It will show who the charge went to, Carnival or the TA.  If it shows the TA, I would call Carnival and explain to them that the TA has not refunded your money, stating that the cruise line never refunds to TA.  I would try to get something in writing (even an email would help) from Carnival stating that the refund was issued to the TA.  Then you can call the TA, tell them you have proof that Carnival refunded to the TA and you expect a check immediately.  If they refuse to refund your money, you might have to sue in small claims court.  Carnival just might be interested to know that a TA is keeping customers money.  Any details about the refund that Carnival can  give you will be helpful if you have to go to small claims court over this.

If you don't have the credit card statement, call the credit card company. As you should know the date, at least approximately, and the amount, they should be able to look up whether it was credited to Carnival or the TA.

If it was credited to Carnival and they are telling you it was refunded to the TA instead of you, I would challenge it with the credit card company explaining that you have tried to get the refund and were told it was given to someone else.

We used a TA and cancelled last march....all but $423 was refunded to us.  The $423 was a commission charge carnival still hasn't released.  I'm so angry...we have called 6 times.  TA calls Carnival, who has this money and it's been "processing" since June.  Good luck everyone!  I don't know if I can dispute it this far out with my credit card company but I will be trying on Monday.    

Edited by simkoreb