The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

I knew I had seen this close up! I climbed the spire a long time ago, when I could still take heights and lots of steps. As a tourist you cannot get close to it in the tower but you can walk past, haha! It is a replica of the original I think - and I have passed it several times. I used the "search in German language" joker, so I am not going to say anything. I am sure somebody will get it very soon.

That antenna, oh my! I wonder if it is against lightning strikes or a real one for radio. If so, I am sure it gives a great reception. Would love to see a photo of someone actually adjusting it.

notamermaid

• Like 1

Daisi, thanks for the photo of the spires. I had never noticed the ladders. The finial replica stood in front of the cathedral, a bit further away, not directly in front. There was talk of moving it, not sure if they have done. It is lifesize, meaning 9.5m high. There is also a plaque in Cologne dialect on it!

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Replica_of_a_finial_in_front_of_Cologne_Cathedral#/media/File%3AInschrift_Kreuzblume.JPG

Apparently they put the "statue" there in 1980 to commemorate the completion of Cologne Cathedral in 1880. "fädich jewoode es" means "was finished".

Looking forward to ljandjb's photo.

notamermaid

@jpalbny, I went back and looked at your pics, you do get a good view from up there!  We lucked out on our cruise, only a bit of rain just before getting on the boat for the canal tour of Strasbourg, and another night while eating dinner, it was raining on one side of the boat but not on ours.  We kept hearing from other boats that we "just missed" the rain.  I wasn't complaining!

@notamermaid, I just went through my pics, and didn't see any of the finial replica.  Maybe because I had the "real thing" I didnt' take a picture of it.  Since you like night shots...here you go.  This was taken from our boat.

IMG_2417.JPG

• Like 2

A performance of German music had just finished up in the lounge and the captain came on the PA and suggested we go outside to the top deck.  It was about 9:30 and we were departing Cologne.  One of the photos I took is still the wall paper on my phone!

20191005_151650.jpg

20191005_212406.jpg

• Like 3

Darn, I’m away from my computer for a few days. It’s a wild card! Who’s next?

I actually remember the combination of architecture and pollution (?) of the church. 

It’s prettier in the night time pics. 

Edited by ljandgb

19 minutes ago, ljandgb said:

Darn, I’m away from my computer for a few days.

Pity! So, we have a wild card indeed.

Remember, you can post a photo from a river cruise or land trip - just make sure it shows a waterway (i.e. place thereat) that can be sailed on a river cruise ship or an excursion place connected with a river cruise.

Off you go. :classic_smile:

notamermaid

Name what is in the photo. First guess the river. After that name the town/city/place.
The person one who first guesses correctly gets to post the next photo!

Please, DO NOT POST any PHOTOS unless it is your turn

This is appropriate given the time of year.  A bit obscure - although given the level of travel knowledge of this group - it may be identified quite quickly. This site was visited on an excursion from a river cruise (not near the river...)

Fran

langemark cemetery.jpg

Edited by franski

If I did not know this thread was about river cruising I would say this is in a sculpture park in Yorkshire!

Other than that it reminds me of the industrial area in the Rhineland, i.e. Duisburg, the Ruhr and Essen. I wonder if the flower has got a significance.

So no clue, other than Europe...

I am sure somebody has been there, Fran, come on river cruisers out there, check your photo archives. 😁 

I really like how the sun beam comes out in front of the sculpture. Adds warmth and appeal.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
Added comment

37 minutes ago, Bake apple said:

My first thought was because it has a poppy motif and we are close to 11 November it might be at Omaha Beach in Normandy, an excursion from a river cruise from Paris to the north?

It is a poppy...  Which is why I picked this picture.   But, not in Normandy. 

Fran

5 minutes ago, NewCruiser2016 said:

German War Cemetery of Langemark , Belgium?

Unlikely to be German. The poppy is an allied symbol, based on the poem "In Flanders Fields" by Canadian Physician Colonel John McCrae.

2 hours ago, NewCruiser2016 said:

German War Cemetery of Langemark , Belgium?

You are correct...

1 hour ago, gnome12 said:

Unlikely to be German. The poppy is an allied symbol, based on the poem "In Flanders Fields" by Canadian Physician Colonel John McCrae.

I know... That is why I was so surprised to see this statue in the cemetery. The cemetery is maintained by the German War Graves Commission - even to this day.  There are 2 British soldiers buried there - and there is a plaque by the entrance that identifies them.

https://www.ww1cemeteries.com/langemark-german-military-cemetery.html

We did a Flanders tour with Avalon a few years back.  The itinerary only ran 1 year - and I am so glad we took it.  We did get to Flanders Fields (the actual spot and the museum) and to Ypres & the Menin Gate among other sites.  We visited some of the trenches, as well as some other cemeteries and memorial sites (ie: Tyne Cot Memorial).  The simplicity of this cemetery stayed with me.  Certainly not as well known as the various Allied sites in the area, but I was glad that Avalon included a stop here.    

NewCruiser2016 - you're up!!

Fran

14 minutes ago, franski said:

You are correct...

I know... That is why I was so surprised to see this statue in the cemetery. The cemetery is maintained by the German War Graves Commission - even to this day.  There are 2 British soldiers buried there - and there is a plaque by the entrance that identifies them.

https://www.ww1cemeteries.com/langemark-german-military-cemetery.html

We did a Flanders tour with Avalon a few years back.  The itinerary only ran 1 year - and I am so glad we took it.  We did get to Flanders Fields (the actual spot and the museum) and to Ypres & the Menin Gate among other sites.  We visited some of the trenches, as well as some other cemeteries and memorial sites (ie: Tyne Cot Memorial).  The simplicity of this cemetery stayed with me.  Certainly not as well known as the various Allied sites in the area, but I was glad that Avalon included a stop here.    

NewCruiser2016 - you're up!!

Fran

Fran, just to clarify, the memorial is actually called the Ypres Peace memorial because that is where it was made and then they moved it...acording to Mr. Google 😊

It is striking and a very emotional thing to see. 

Looking forward to Newcruiser's puzzler.  

RB 

Thank you, Fran, a very fitting photo for Remembrance Sunday tomorrow - the British one. Our equivalent, the Volkstrauertag, is next Sunday. I am really surprised the poppy cenotaph is at the German cemetery. Germany does not have this poppy tradition.

notamermaid