The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

I have looked it up. The nose was a project and is an installation (permanent) by a group of four artists. They took "plaster casts" of 70 noses in Krems and say the nose is a hybrid of two noses they had decided on. The nose is so big that you can walk into it. Depending on the surrounding conditions the nose can smell of flowers and others things and even of "dirty river". As one newspaper put it (in near quote): "it gets regularly flushed through and a good clean when there is flooding".

notamermaid

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Renmar said:

Die Wachauer Nase (The Wachauer Nose) Danube River, Wachau Austria.

Google to the rescue, again.

Theo

I missed it when sailing through Wachau, Austria.

Edited by Coral

Wild guess for a complete change: the Meuse river. No idea of city. I think the tower marks the entrance to another body of water, or an area like a marina. The brick and white stone construction makes me think North and West of Cologne, hence Meuse, Netherlands or Belgium. Could be a gauge tower, flag not sure, local or national?

notamermaid

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

Wild guess for a complete change: the Meuse river. No idea of city. I think the tower marks the entrance to another body of water, or an area like a marina. The brick and white stone construction makes me think North and West of Cologne, hence Meuse, Netherlands or Belgium. Could be a gauge tower, flag not sure, local or national?

notamermaid

@notamermaid Buildings do not like Dutch more like Belgium or even Luxemburg. I think I go with Luxemburg (the country), Moselle river. No idea which town.

Theo

A caravan, red brick and flat river banks? Naa, must be the Netherlands or Belgium. :classic_wink:

Now that you say it, the tower has got an old ornament on the lintel, so more a keep as part of a former castle?

Is it the flag of France, looks the wrong way round to me?

Edit: Theo we crossed paths, Luxembourg area - good idea. Flag the right one, hmm?

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
answer to Theo

If you look closely it is the flag of France that flies on the tower. The flag of Luxembourg is horizontal and this one is vertical. So it could be either river the Meuse (Maas in Dutch) or the Moselle.🤔

Theo

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

Now that you say it, the tower has got an old ornament on the lintel, so more a keep as part of a former castle?

If I correctly recall, we were told that the tower was once part of a cathedral that was demolished. The tower served as the home of the cathedral's cannons dean. The tower was sent to Paris & later returned to Chalon-sur-Saône as a gift to the city courtesy of Jay Gould. Busy little traveling tower. 😏

Edited by dogs4fun

8 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

If I correctly recall, we were told that the tower was once part of cathedral that was demolished. The tower was then reconstructed in Paris & later returned to Chalon-sur-Saône as a gift to the city courtesy of Jay Gould. Busy little traveling tower. 😏

Thank you. Quite a story. Chalon-sur-Saone - that is quite a way further South than I expected. The brick looks untypical of the area. A tourism website tells me the tower is standing on an island in the Saone.

Now, who is lurking in the background who is eager to take another wildcard and show us their photo? Let us guess where you have been along a river. Anyone around who has not posted yet or not for a long time? Beat the regulars to it, I am convinced one of them is getting ready to post already. :classic_biggrin:

notamermaid