Thankful for our January 2020 Cruise - Hopefully it won't be the last one

kdkstormy

We had a great cruise on the Reflection in January returning home from Fort Lauderdale to Vancouver Canada on January 21st, little did we know at the time that travel and vacations would be changing for a long time.

We are not people that can cruise multiple times a year.  If we are lucky we can do one a year but sometimes skip a year or two.  Normally I'm looking at possibilities of where we can go next, but with what is happening in the world now, not even something I want to look at.

I dream of being on the balcony having coffee in the morning and looking at the ocean on a sea day or the excitement of getting ready for a day in port.  

Whatever cruising looks like in the future I'm sure it will be different than anything we have experienced ever but it will become the new normal I'm sure.  

Kudos to all the employees who are on the ships keeping them seaworthy while being away from their families.

Edited by kdkstormy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We too keep reflecting back on our last cruise prior to this strange world we now live in. Also like you, It is some of the simple things we miss the most like sitting on the balcony...

We also continue to be concerned for the physical and emotional wellbeing of crews on board and those now back at home possibly facing real financial hardship and many having less good medical support than ourselves....

I am a ‘The sun will come out tomorrow...’ type of person so we do have a cruise booked for next September...Whatever the new face of cruising looks like if the basic principles of a relaxing ambiance pared with excellent service continues to be the norm for Celebrity we will be back on board as soon as it is safe to do so.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2020 at 2:52 AM, chemmo said:

I am a ‘The sun will come out tomorrow...’ type of person so we do have a cruise booked for next September...Whatever the new face of cruising looks like if the basic principles of a relaxing ambiance pared with excellent service continues to be the norm for Celebrity we will be back on board as soon as it is safe to do so.

This is me as well. We hope to return a little sooner as we have a March trip planned and on whim I booked an August AK sailing recently (hey, what do you expect when you have to work from home for a while!?), but I completely agree with your perfectly worded final sentence! 

We had been doing 2-3 cruises each winter, but did 6 in 2020 from January-March.  So glad we did 🙂

Moved our future reservations, next cruises are January 2022.  Don't fear the virus so much, just not interested in masking up for a restrictive cruise experience.   We've booked 10 weeks at various condo's/resorts in Florida this winter.  If we can get there and back, we'll go to Sint Maarten for 2 weeks during that time.  The MIA-SXM round trip flights were only 160.00pp so we didn't risk much to make those plans 😁

kdkstormy,

Thanks for your post.  We also cruised in January 2020.  So it hit a chord.  We left our home on Jan 2, flew to Chile, took a cruise on Eclipse around the horn to Buenos Aires, stayed there a few days and then returned home late January.  Wonderful time. We had just started to hear about some unusual virus in China.  We were very very lucky to get this trip in at that time.  Then the world changed as we know it.  Perhaps we will never cruise again, or at least never cruise "care free" for quite some time. 

We left Reflection in Feb. this year after having enjoyed our time together on that cruise more than we usually do. Met every morning after our various exercise regimens at Cafe Al Bacio for skinny lattes, attended a couple of presentations together and clapped and swayed to Lance Lipenski's band doing old Rock and Roll, ala Jerry Lee Lewis. What a blast!  And the buffet was OUTSTANDING! Had a fabulous time all together. I also pray for the safety and well being of all crew members in the various fleets, both those on board and those at home who may be suffering for loss of income. I don't expect to be able to take our Equinox b2b in May '21, but do so hope to make the b2b in Sept.-Oct. '21 on our favorite ship, Equinox. 

7 hours ago, garyl62 said:

This is me as well. We hope to return a little sooner as we have a March trip planned and on whim I booked an August AK sailing recently (hey, what do you expect when you have to work from home for a while!?), but I completely agree with your perfectly worded final sentence! 

Sincere best wishes your cruises do happen...raise a glass for us when you board!

• Like 1