Starting cruises in april.

hollyjess

7 hours ago, Selbourne said:

None of us know the answer, of course, but my sense is that it’s becoming increasingly unlikely. I sincerely hope that I am wrong but my sense is that the fear of Covid-19 (which I think is now having far more impact than the virus itself) will still be with us until at least next summer and we will probably have a couple of short lock downs between now and then - possibly one pre Christmas and another one in the New Year. Whilst regional lockdowns make the most sense, targeting areas with very high infection rates, they have now become party political and even though national lockdowns will have far greater economic consequences (and are unnecessary with the minuscule infection rates in many areas), it is an easier message for a government to implement.  I fear that we are in for a bumpy ride over the winter with things getting worse before they get better and I don’t see us being clear of all of this by April, especially as vaccinations may have only just started then. 

Although it hasn't been reported on national news, they only report the bad news. Our area, North East is starting to respond to restrictions. I am now quietly optimistic about Christmas. If the rest of you behave yourselves hopefully it will not travel south.😉

• Like 2

We are on tier 3 here in Lytham St Annes. To be honest life hasn’t changed much for me, I am clinically vulnerable and just doing the minimum things I need to. My mum is 86 so I keep a close eye on her, I have to kept safe to keep her safe. Just trying to fill my time doing other things, just baked an apple pie and I have started tracing my family tree

Michelle

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

We are on tier 3 here in Lytham St Annes. To be honest life hasn’t changed much for me, I am clinically vulnerable and just doing the minimum things I need to. My mum is 86 so I keep a close eye on her, I have to kept safe to keep her safe. Just trying to fill my time doing other things, just baked an apple pie and I have started tracing my family tree

Michelle

Once you start looking at your family history, you can spend hours rummaging around in the past.

I got back to the 1600s on a couple of my lines and a couple of my husbands.

I don’t do as much now, but I have the occasional look. A couple of months ago I solved a mystery that has puzzled me for years - why my great grandmother from the highlands of Scotland came down to London.

I discovered that her eldest brother worked on the railways (maybe an odd occupation for the eldest son of a highland farmer), and was living in London near StPancras in the late 1860’s. He had two young children but then his wife died. So my great grandmother came down to London to look after them.

The brother remarried, and instead of going back to Scotland, my great grandmother started working as a teacher in London. By about 1873, the brother died and the two children went to Scotland to live with their grandparents. My great grandmother stayed in London, and met my great grandfather at Mile End Workhouse, where she was a teacher and he was a relieving officer.

there’s loads of stories to uncover 

• Like 2

I have uncovered stuff already. When my Gran was a little girl she went to live with her Auntie along with her mum & brother. Her dad went abroad to find work and a home and they were then to join him. They never heard from him again. We think he might have gone to either Canada or Australia so I could have unknown relatives..... he could have married again or did he even get there? No idea!!!

Michelle

2 hours ago, Peanut006 said:

I have uncovered stuff already. When my Gran was a little girl she went to live with her Auntie along with her mum & brother. Her dad went abroad to find work and a home and they were then to join him. They never heard from him again. We think he might have gone to either Canada or Australia so I could have unknown relatives..... he could have married again or did he even get there? No idea!!!

Michelle

I am fairly sure I have unknown relatives as my great grandfather moved from Scotland to Lancashire to play professional football.He married my great grandmother who gave birth to my grandad.He then went back to Scotland.When my great grandmother heard that he had later died she tried to claim a widows pension to discover that someone else had put in a claim as well! I must try and delve into my mothers family history to see if anything interesting turns up!

18 hours ago, happy v said:

Although it hasn't been reported on national news, they only report the bad news. Our area, North East is starting to respond to restrictions. I am now quietly optimistic about Christmas. If the rest of you behave yourselves hopefully it will not travel south.😉

A lot of the cases in the north east were students being tested; many were asymptomatic which is why it seemed to spread so quickly. I've just had a message from Durham university ( I do a bit of work for them) that cases are now falling. They did lock down any affected "bubbles" immediately.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2020 at 5:08 PM, Clodia said:

A lot of the cases in the north east were students being tested; many were asymptomatic which is why it seemed to spread so quickly. I've just had a message from Durham university ( I do a bit of work for them) that cases are now falling. They did lock down any affected "bubbles" immediately.

Yes, apparently our Medical Officer had a chat with Jonathon Van Tam saying the students were distorting the figures and when they just look at the general population they were all going in the right direction. Just shows it can be done. I hope it continues.