Heritage Expeditions has approval to sail

lissie

1 hour ago, lissie said:

Enjoy your adventure on ye olde Spirit of Enderby.  I reckon it will be a full ship. Perhaps you might do a quick review for us ocean starved people? 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Enjoy your adventure on ye olde Spirit of Enderby.  I reckon it will be a full ship. Perhaps you might do a quick review for us ocean starved people? 

Be happy to - I  only have Cunard to compare it to though LOL 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lissie said:

Be happy to - I  only have Cunard to compare it to though LOL 

No high teas, no ballroom dancing, at least you won;t have to get dressed up on that ship, casual gear.

The Captain's welcome party will be vodka and more vodka, perhaps with a bit of ruski caviar on the side.

As Uncle Les always says...'Above all, enjoy !!'

Edited by NSWP

5 hours ago, NSWP said:

No high teas, no ballroom dancing, at least you won;t have to get dressed up on that ship, casual gear.

The Captain's welcome party will be vodka and more vodka, perhaps with a bit of ruski caviar on the side.

As Uncle Les always says...'Above all, enjoy !!'

There's a dress code though - didn't mention colour though - more like number of layers of polypro or merino and the desirability of water proof outer layers. And they provide shoes - they want my shoe size! 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, lissie said:

There's a dress code though - didn't mention colour though - more like number of layers of polypro or merino and the desirability of water proof outer layers. And they provide shoes - they want my shoe size! 

Good that they provide boots.  Most useful items I took were merino neck gaitor and NZ possum merino gloves.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lissie said:

Made the press today -  the bookings are looking good https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/431087/nz-only-cruise-ship-arrives-with-exempted-russian-crew That's impressive because its certainly not cheap 

Interesting comments in relation to the benefits to the tourism industry.  Do you go on the first cruise?

18 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Interesting comments in relation to the benefits to the tourism industry.  Do you go on the first cruise?

Not the first cruise is next week - we are onboard 6 January - have to buy some wet weather gear before then! 

1 hour ago, lissie said:

Not the first cruise is next week - we are onboard 6 January - have to buy some wet weather gear before then! 

I  guess the ship doesn't provide a parka for NZ cruises.  I had to buy wet weather pants for antarctica, but ship provided parka.  

20 hours ago, lissie said:

Does it rain in NZ Lissy?🥴🌧️ three times I have been there it was sunny.☀️

Edited by NSWP

On 11/21/2020 at 1:37 PM, MMDown Under said:

I  guess the ship doesn't provide a parka for NZ cruises.  I had to buy wet weather pants for antarctica, but ship provided parka.  

Exactly - Antarctica is very cold and and dry -  southern NZ is wet and not that cold! Think northern Scotland or southern Chile!  

We have wet weather but more suitable for riding a motorbike than walking. Normally I walk in shorts - but that won't work so well sitting in a zodiac! 

6 hours ago, NSWP said:

Does it rain in NZ Lissy?🥴🌧️ three times I have been there it was sunny.☀️

You're the joker aren't you? We're having wind and rain at the moment in Wellington - and its supposed to be summer. Mind you  it never rains in Ireland - no rain for the 7 days we were there first trip. Actually the last time I was on Stewart Island it didn't rain for 9 days straight - while the rest of the county was drenched (it was Xmas time). Maybe my luck will follow me! 

1 hour ago, lissie said:

You're the joker aren't you? We're having wind and rain at the moment in Wellington - and its supposed to be summer. Mind you  it never rains in Ireland - no rain for the 7 days we were there first trip. Actually the last time I was on Stewart Island it didn't rain for 9 days straight - while the rest of the county was drenched (it was Xmas time). Maybe my luck will follow me! 

I am the village 🤡Yes I know you have precipitation  on the odd occasion.🌂🌧🌊☂️

Edited by NSWP
  • Haha 1

Thanks David, I hope the seas are kind, around the bluff is where we hit the 12 metre seas - Force 12 on ye olde Regal Princess in September 2007, LA-Syd. Last voyage of Regal before rebirth as Pacific Dawn. Scary.

Lot of shipwrecks in that area I believe, David, you would know better than I.

download.jpg

Edited by NSWP

Looks pretty smooth around the bluff now, like a millpond.  It is those Antarctic gales that whip up the big seas.  No land mass between south west tip of NZ and the Antarctic.

Edited by NSWP

17 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Looks pretty smooth around the bluff now, like a millpond.  It is those Antarctic gales that whip up the big seas.  No land mass between south west tip of NZ and the Antarctic.

On a calm day it’s sheer magic.!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

On a calm day it’s sheer magic.!

Oh I hope we get calm(ish). I get sea sick on a mill pond and have been continuously ill all the way of the Stewart Island ferry from Bluff!  I have lots of drugs but just hope it wears off after 24 hours or so! 

• Like 1