CDC

ROYALBOY

45 minutes ago, gerelmx said:

The damaging effects of stress are well known, from migraines, insomnia and stomach pains to cardiovascular problems. It can even alter the human genome. That is why vacations, being one of the best antidotes to stress, are essential to maintain good physical and mental health.

That is why vacations must be essential

But cruising is far from the only kind of vacation on offer, and at least for now, it appears to me (and many others) to be less safe -- and/or less desirable given restrictions -- than a number of other vacation options.

Edited by cruisemom42

3 hours ago, mnocket said:

I get so tired of hearing people tout their City/State/Country's response to the virus.  It's just a matter of timing.  Sooner or later the virus does what viruses do.  In the case of Germany, the daily infection rate has soared - far outpacing the initial wave  https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/germany/

The German government is imposing new restrictions and some Germans are protesting those restrictions.  In short, Germany looks a lot like most other countries.

Well, it was a direct response .. but I am sure that you‘ve seen it.

As for Germany looking like most other countries now - if you go a bit deeper than the headlines, you may realize that you are wrong 😉

11 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

If you really are in it to improve the economy, why pick cruising as one of the primary industries to revive?

The cruise lines' own "mouthpiece" organization, CLIA, estimates that the industry has a $52.7B “total economic impact” on the US economy and “supports” 421k American jobs (2019 figures). But no basis is given for how those figures are calculated. At any rate, we can safely assume they are presenting the very best case scenario. 

421,000 US jobs is a drop in the bucket when compared with the following 2019 figures:

35,894,000  --  Education and health services

19,742,000  --  Wholesale and retail trade industries

19,606,000  --  Professional and business services

15,741,000  --  Manufacturing

10,765,000  --  Financial

8,991,000   --  Transportation and utilities

and there are many, many others:  https://www.statista.com/statistics/200143/employment-in-selected-us-industries/#:~:text=In 2019%2C the education and,education and health services industry.

So I suspect that what you actually meant to say is more like what you just posted in another thread:

"You're absolutely correct, that would be a better thing to do for society.  I'm just looking for an excuse to get away from home."

He doesn't get it that even in Miami, Fort Lauderdale and the other port cities most of the travel jobs (hotels, dining, tours, etc) are more tied to non cruise related tourism than to cruise related tourism. The only real jobs impacted by the cruise line shutdown are the port workers themselves, the employees of companies that directly supply the ships, and the shuttles and other transportation related to the ships. a relatively small number.

The other tourism jobs, even in the port cities, not so much.

The ports are screaming because the loss of port fees impact their budgets.

On 11/8/2020 at 8:49 AM, Yoshikitty said:

it‘s far more complex like you say - and I hope that you know it.

First of all here in Germany we where reacting quite early and in relatively high solidarity - did not close the industrial sector and went quite well.

So in the end, we did not really have a lockdown because noone was really locked down.

We have around 11.000 deaths with 82 million population, compare this to the US numbers and ask again how well the measures worked.

Thread after thread here on CC,  we continue to see a lot of good folks comparing virus-positive numbers, hospitalizations, deaths, surges, etc.,etc. like it is some kind of contest between countries.  No matter the virus is winning.  It is everywhere still lurking.  We are all in this together.  No matter where we come from and what happened in our own countries earlier in the year.  This is not the World Cup.  It is The World Pandemic.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Thread after thread here on CC,  we continue to see a lot of good folks comparing virus-positive numbers, hospitalizations, deaths, surges, etc.,etc. like it is some kind of contest between countries.  No matter the virus is winning.  It is everywhere still lurking.  We are all in this together.  No matter where we come from and what happened in our own countries earlier in the year.  This is not the World Cup.  It is The World Pandemic.

Again,

I was directly  replying (with quotation) to the question how well the measures worked so far in Europe!

21 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Thanks for saying this,  Excellent post. Sums up how I feel about many of the ongoing threads and posts on CC.    

I am especially tired of  perpetual negativity towards Americans esp from fellow  US citizens.    Let's go forward in unity. It may help us get by better in troubled times!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, hcat said:

Thanks for saying this,  Excellent post. Sums up how I feel about many of the ongoing threads and posts on CC.    

I am especially tired of  perpetual negativity towards Americans esp from fellow  US citizens.    Let's go forward in unity. It may help us get by better in troubled times!

I for one have no negativity towards Americans, America, anywhere. My negativity is towards negative posts on every subject, thread, public servant. Cheer up everyone, it will get better and my Cruise to Alaska in June will go for sure.

• Like 1