Come sail with me on a virtual cruise to Hawaii on Ruby Princess

ellie1145

7 hours ago, dickinson said:

I just finished breakfast but looking at those pictures makes me hungry again 😉  I always order that beef tenderloin but get nutella ice cream for dessert.  Yum!

I don't know why, but the beef tenderloin always seems extra good on that first day.

Now I really must try the Nutella ice cream, sounds delicious! 

5 hours ago, mustgo said:

I am enjoying the start of your virtual cruise and look forward to more each day.  We have not been on the Ruby but are booked to Hawaii for March 22 out of San Francisco.  It is so nice to anticipate cruising once again.  

Am so pleased you have joined us and are enjoying this adventure. Hawaii was a new and wonderful experience for us. 

At the moment a virtual cruise is the only safe way to cruise, and we must not be too impatient to return to our favourite vacation. So we will live it virtually and keep safe. 

🎵  Another suitcase in another hall...🎵

Lunch over, we make our way to our cabin, which is ready and waiting. The ship is busy as we make our way to our deck, as people board and try to find their way around.

We don’t have a balcony this cruise, as we ‘splashed out’ on our Majestic Princess Fiji cruise in October. It’s a good thing we did it this way round as I know I would be missing our lovely mini-suite if we’d already experienced it.

So, I’m afraid we only have an outside cabin, and a partially obstructed outside at that. However, we were able to secure a window which overlooks the smallest and last lifeboat, so we do have a slightly better view than some, and can just see the sea.

It is with relief that we see our suitcases sitting outside our door, and we decide to unpack immediately. DH and I have a routine and today is no different. We meet our cabin steward who is happy to bring me lots more hangers. First I line all the drawers, and then DH transports anything on hangers to the wardrobe.

DSC08935.thumb.JPG.86dd0819da0cad247bb8dd7287e4b198.JPG

DSC08936.thumb.JPG.6eaa3adba8fc65fad23847354603878d.JPG

Now I really love the wardrobe on Princess ships. It is so huge, and with it being separated from the main bedroom it is a very hand area to dress in. Shoes go in a hanging shoe rack that I bring with me, and everything else goes in drawers.

DSC08937.thumb.JPG.471a7ea9050f2100967db75b9dadafec.JPG

DSC08938.thumb.JPG.58e8b92718f17e98783bdb7972ae4842.JPG

DSC08939.thumb.JPG.05658a7ec0ad8a48bdf722a7ae770730.JPG

Toiletries are stowed safely in the bathroom which has several handy shelves, and then we are done!

After this we think we deserve a cup of tea in the buffet, so we make our way upstairs. I take my camera with me as we will soon have muster and then we will have to find a suitable spot on deck to watch sail-away - no standing on our balcony for us today .

🎵 Start spreading the news,

I'm leaving today......🎵

(with apologies to Frank Sinatra and New York)

Muster over, we quickly make our way out on deck and stand under the lifeboats to watch our departure from San Pedro. Now, forgive me, but I think it has to be one of the most uninspiring locations we have ever sailed away from - or so we thought, but we were wrong......

DSC00242.thumb.JPG.14766e93617159388920636a70eec37e.JPG

DSC00244.thumb.JPG.98860402e88d69c58f3d9705485449eb.JPG

DSC00243.thumb.JPG.efdaa96ebf6bddff1e1ba04a039b7ddf.JPG

Now the Port of Los Angeles World Cruise Centre was originally a freight and passenger terminal for the American President Lines. It later became the home of the famous ‘Love Boat’ after it was converted into a cruise ship facility. It has grown to be the largest cruise port on the West Coast, but unfortunately that is as good as it gets.

DSC00247.thumb.JPG.a9fbfbca5ae721fc58285c45cca06f8c.JPG

DSC00246.thumb.JPG.e0ef550b329ae05e9947345da22b2970.JPG

The view from deck is not the prettiest, and instead of the homes of multimillionaires which line the waterways of Fort Lauderdale, we see huge cranes on the skyline.

DSC00245.thumb.JPG.bdbdcdabd8e93859b1afba0d85b1ea5b.JPG

DSC00248.thumb.JPG.fae4d26c9f77e7d6c89e30d8ea99e640.JPG

DSC00249.thumb.JPG.6c276641c2a5d46423aa8ede2cb67547.JPG

There are numerous container ships, and we watch as one is pulled slowly away from its berth by a powerful little tug. 

DSC00250.thumb.JPG.147125152868fa3591a607a193c7c49e.JPG

DSC00251.thumb.JPG.3501201cd9381737596d173ae9d1f001.JPG

DSC00252.thumb.JPG.ed6bb4417b50f666f05d979a33a1b9f9.JPG

DSC00253.thumb.JPG.7f3e2fb6b4abddbd42162d92f847db72.JPG

We watch as the last gangway is lifted clear, the ropes are let go and Ruby Princess slips slowly away from the dockside.  

DSC00254.thumb.JPG.1201ee0dd673bbf54ac65fecbd8f56ae.JPG

Sadly there is no Sydney Harbour Bridge or Sydney Opera  House to watch, but suddenly I glance across at the water and am astonished to see something in the water. 

DSC00256.thumb.JPG.d934bac2b37b603f9eeac91250f98b39.JPG

There below us are seals, swimming and diving and giving us our own sail-away performance. They glide and dive, leaving a silvery trail in the water, as they accompany us out of the harbour. It’s a wonderful and very unexpected sight. 

DSC00258.thumb.JPG.ec2df1b0259428f4a77234462d3c437d.JPG

DSC00255.thumb.JPG.0a48a77594a941b7e135ffea47d4f56b.JPG

DSC00259.thumb.JPG.444d4fd726531f5d27ec572fd72665bd.JPG

• Like 2

We sail from WCC many times as it is our home port, and I have to agree that the sail-a-way is not very dramatic.  But I still say, the boarding  and checkin is the best I have ever encounter, although inside the WCC, it is pretty uninspiring.

• Like 1

We've also sail out of WCC many times. I remember attending a Bon Voyage Sail Away Party aboard the original Love Boat, the Pacific Princess. We were invited onboard to wish my friend Bon Voyage.

So much fun and excitement. That was about 35 years ago. Where has the time gone? 🤥 Times have certainly changed since then.

• Like 1

🎵 I am sailing,

I am sailing

Home again

'Cross the sea 🎵

Ruby Princess glides quietly and slowly out of the port. At last we are on our way to Hawaii.

DSC00261.thumb.JPG.26c851c0c28d1e31b79fe83c3b5d7bce.JPG

A police launch leads the way. Unlike Miami or Port Everglades there is no gun boat speeding up and down as it accompanies us out to sea.

DSC00260.thumb.JPG.6064d5bdc3141f8466d53ec118f194d7.JPG

DSC00264.thumb.JPG.cceaac913358c62a841f3c8f83f06af3.JPG

We sail past the huge Battleship Iowa. She is an impressive sight.

DSC00257.thumb.JPG.3bda231e78249fd78d1989d74bf19dab.JPG

DSC00268.thumb.JPG.547751fe2c65a8cd209b159d8d8afd9d.JPG

Although San Pedro is not as beautiful a sail away as either Miami or Fort Lauderdale, 

surprisingly, it has some interesting buildings.

DSC00265.thumb.JPG.2a78351677215b45cf6a9bbb7c6b1c38.JPG

On our port side we pass a huge six-storey warehouse, built in 1917. Although it might look insignificant and probably many people overlook it, it has played an important part in the development of international trade and commerce in the Los Angeles area.  

Called the Municipal Wharf No.1 it was built largely as the result of the opening of the Panama Canal, which local businessmen believed would place Los Angeles in a very important position as an international trade hub.

It must have been a huge enterprise to build such a large warehouse, and at 150 ft wide, and over 475 sq ft, it was the largest structure of its kind west of Chicago. It cost nearly $500,000 to construct, and used over 27,000 cubic yard of cement. 

There was room for freight to be received and conveyed by electric trucks into the warehouse. From here, goods could be sent by rail, using tracks which ran directly  into the building. 

Interestingly, this building was once used to store the railroad car that carried Winston Churchill’s body to burial. 

Although the advent of the containerisation of cargo has eliminated its original use, it is still used as a bonded warehouse. 

It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. 

DSC00267.thumb.JPG.f6979fd171c1cfbdb4fa3e95f4e97eba.JPG

DSC00266.thumb.JPG.cd4a5d9e6053dc420af26e2b3c350869.JPG

• Like 2

The Angel's Gate Light

DSC00269.thumb.JPG.9a365795ae2cd0295353d5289cb98041.JPG

On our many trips to the USA I have frequently bought little lighthouse ornaments from a series of historic lighthouses around America. So I am delighted that, as we leave the safety of the Los Angeles harbour, we see a beautiful lighthouse on our port side. Called the Angels Gate Light is stands at the end of the 9,250 ft long breakwater, constructed of millions of tons of rock transported from Catalina Island. 

DSC00271.thumb.JPG.39076424e047f082d435ef2940b4ea41.JPG

It is an interesting shape, standing 73 feet high, with vertical black stripes which apparently had to be added because its white colour made it difficult to be seen in fog. Originally built in 1913, the lighthouse was built of concrete and steel, which made it strong enough to withstand the might of any storm. 

Whilst it once was manned by a lighthouse keeper, it is now automated, and its two note foghorn sounds every 30 seconds. 

DSC00272.thumb.JPG.69dd0ed65a6c9a373e8b37e50ed80a76.JPG

Unusually, it is believed to be the only lighthouse to emit an emerald green light, which rotates to guide sailors into harbour. 

Apparently, every deep sea ship which arrives on its maiden voyage receives a plaque which displays the lighthouse, and an official greeting from the City of Los Angeles. 

Although years of exposure led to the gradual degradation of the concrete, and the rusting of the inner frame, the lighthouse underwent an overhaul to its exterior in 2012, which cost nearly $2 million. The lighthouse is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. 

We are very lucky to sail past this beautiful lighthouse, as walking over the breakwater is forbidden due to its dangers. 

DSC00270.thumb.JPG.8464590e7b896d2d40cf68c9f052b6f0.JPG

DSC00263.thumb.JPG.84db3db7e0fb3f7b299d62f317ccd9aa.JPG

• Like 1

23 hours ago, LawDog61 said:

We sail from WCC many times as it is our home port, and I have to agree that the sail-a-way is not very dramatic.  But I still say, the boarding  and checkin is the best I have ever encounter, although inside the WCC, it is pretty uninspiring.

Yes, it’s not dramatic, but it is interesting, especially seeing the lighthouse.

Seeing the seals was really special and something we’d never seen before. 

23 hours ago, chipz said:

We've also sail out of WCC many times. I remember attending a Bon Voyage Sail Away Party aboard the original Love Boat, the Pacific Princess. We were invited onboard to wish my friend Bon Voyage.

So much fun and excitement. That was about 35 years ago. Where has the time gone? 🤥 Times have certainly changed since then.

Until this cruise I hadn’t realised that the Love Boat was based in San Pedro. That must have been an interesting experience to board her. Those were the days!

22 hours ago, TeaBag said:

Ooh, November?  I'm hoping for June and then Aug/Sept.  Where are you sailing to?

We are booked on Harmony for a Transatlantic from Barcelona. We booked it whilst on Allure of the Seas in January, before the ‘proverbial‘ hit the fan.

I hope that by then there is a return to some sort of normality, but we have a long way to go, and we still need to work together to bring its spread down. 

The Pfizer vaccine itself presents many problems, not least of which is its need to be stored at minus 80 degrees. Hopefully other vaccines will be easier to distribute and cheaper. There is optimism that the Oxford vaccine is going the right way.

Then there is the problem of persuading people to have something as untried as this new vaccine. Unfortunately, there are many people who won’t even wear a mask so not sure how they will be persuaded to be vaccinated, and it is necessary to have a high take up for it to be effective.  I have been having the flu vaccine for nearly 30 years, but know many who won’t even consider this. 

I have everything crossed, but I don’t have a crystal ball. I love cruising but I love life more and won’t consider putting our lives in danger, especially at our ages and with a new grandchild on the way.

But everybody’s circumstances are different. We have to fly across the Atlantic in order to cruise the Caribbean, so that is an added danger for us. 

The recent and ongoing Covid outbreak onboard a very small ship shows that, despite every possible precaution in place, this virulent virus is difficult to contain. This incident will undoubtedly have had a very detrimental effect on the cruising industry. 

So I live in hopes and continue to ‘Wear mask, wash hands, make space.’ 

I really hope that your cruises take place, as if they do then ours in November will definitely be a runner! And I think that by November I will need to go into rehab if our cruise is cancelled. 🤣

So I have everything crossed for you, (and me!) Teabag. Let’s hope for a miracle. 🤞

But one thing I can promise you, this virtual cruise is 100% safe and you don’t have to wear a mask or self isolate! 👍

Edited by ellie1145
  • Like 2

Hi Ellie,

I'm alittle late to the party, so to speak, but really enjoyed reading about your Fiji trip.  Following along with your trip to Hawaii.  I can fully relate to the temperature in LA when you said you were surprised how cold it was. My DH and I usually do Caribbean cruises and during sail away you can find me on the top deck with a "boat drink" in hand enjoying the warm weather send off.  When we sailed out of LA in October, 2011 for our Panama Canal trip, I was on the top deck in a jacket with a hot cup of coffee.  We always laugh at that picture.

We were hoping to cruise again in November, 2021 for our 40th, but we may just wait till April, 2022.  Here in Michigan, we just went back to Phase 2 with the closing of some things again.  However, we can all stay safe on your wonderful virtual cruise.

Linda  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ellie1145 said:

🎵 I am sailing,

I am sailing

Home again

'Cross the sea 🎵

Rod Stewart's "Sailing". I won his record at a school dance way back when, a looong time ago! 😀

So pleased that you are on your way to join me in Hawaii! I'll board Ruby Princess in a few days. 

Edited by PurpleTraveller
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ellie1145 said:

Hopefully other vaccines will be easier to distribute and cheaper. There is optimism that the Oxford vaccine is going the right way.

DH and I have selfish reasons for hoping that the Oxford (AstraZeneca) vaccine goes the right way.  We are in a trial for that vaccine and there's a 67% that we were injected with two doses of that vaccine.  Here's hoping that there will soon be lots of vaccine options that will allow us to get back to normal life and that there are a lot more wonderful cruises in our future!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, clutchcurrier said:

Hi Ellie,

I'm alittle late to the party, so to speak, but really enjoyed reading about your Fiji trip.  Following along with your trip to Hawaii.  I can fully relate to the temperature in LA when you said you were surprised how cold it was. My DH and I usually do Caribbean cruises and during sail away you can find me on the top deck with a "boat drink" in hand enjoying the warm weather send off.  When we sailed out of LA in October, 2011 for our Panama Canal trip, I was on the top deck in a jacket with a hot cup of coffee.  We always laugh at that picture.

We were hoping to cruise again in November, 2021 for our 40th, but we may just wait till April, 2022.  Here in Michigan, we just went back to Phase 2 with the closing of some things again.  However, we can all stay safe on your wonderful virtual cruise.

Linda  

Hi Linda and welcome onboard. Great to have you along with us Cruising Adventurers, and delighted that you enjoyed my virtual Fiji trip. One thing I can promise you is that you will be 100% safe on this cruise.

Yes, I had a vision of California being sunny and warm, so it was a bit of a shock to the system to find that we needed coats, but at least the sun shone us. 

I hope that your November 2021, 40th celebration cruise happens, but we must remain philosophical and, as you say, be prepared to change our plans to keep us safe.

Let’s hope that by then we will both be cruising again, but if not, then we will wait patiently (or maybe impatiently!🤣) for our safe return to our favourite vacation. 

Many congratulations, anyway for your 39th! Keep safe. 

14 hours ago, ellie1145 said:

🎵 I am sailing,

I am sailing

Home again

'Cross the sea 🎵

It must have been a huge enterprise to build such a large warehouse, and at 150 ft wide, and over 475 sq ft, it was the largest structure of its kind west of Chicago. It cost nearly $500,000 to construct, and used over 27,000 cubic yard of cement. 

I think you left off some zeros.

Edited by JF - retired RRT
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, PurpleTraveller said:

Rod Stewart's "Sailing". I won his record at a school dance way back when, a looong time ago! 😀

So pleased that you are on your way to join me in Hawaii! I'll board Ruby Princess in a few days. 

You are absolutely correct, Purple Traveller.

One of my brand new, completely updated, full size, super powered, ULTRA VORTEX vacuum cleaners, just imported from China, is waiting to wing its way to you via Amazon, the river of course!  🤣  (Dude looks like a lady....)

The song, ‘Sailing,’ has many memories for us as here in the UK, as when we sailed from Southampton, the band of the Royal Marines would play for us on the dockside as we sailed away.  As the ropes were let go and the tugs pulled us out and away from the dock, this would be the final song played to wish us ‘Bon Voyage.’ But that, too, is a far distant memory....

We look forward to you joining us onboard Ruby. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

DH and I have selfish reasons for hoping that the Oxford (AstraZeneca) vaccine goes the right way.  We are in a trial for that vaccine and there's a 67% that we were injected with two doses of that vaccine.  Here's hoping that there will soon be lots of vaccine options that will allow us to get back to normal life and that there are a lot more wonderful cruises in our future!

Now THAT is interesting.

WARNING!! off topic

How did you get into the trial?

Do you do anything different? No mask? Stop compulsive hand-washing?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

I think you left of some zeros.

Just testing, JF-retired RRT! Making sure you were all awake and reading every word! 🤣

No, but seriously, I’m afraid I was typing late last night (after midnight)  in bed in the dark, with poor DH trying to get to sleep as he was working this morning, and I’m afraid I miss typed the width of the building as its square footage. As the building was 480ft by 150ft it would, of course, have been 72,000 sq ft. 

Many apologies..😉🙈

11 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

How amazing, azbirdmom. I would like to thank you both for taking part in the trial. It is a very brave thing to do, but unless we have people like you willing to progress the work of medical science then we would have no way out of this awful pandemic.

Will you ever know if you were in the vaccine group or the placebo group?

Keep safe, and keep well, and here’s a virtual hug. 🤗

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Now THAT is interesting.

WARNING!! off topic

How did you get into the trial?

Do you do anything different? No mask? Stop compulsive hand-washing?

Yes, it is definitely interesting to be doing this!  I read about the trial in our local newspaper and found the website for the company running the trial in my area.  I signed up and they called to ask some questions.  Then away we went!

We don't do anything different.  We are rigid mask wearers and hand washers.  But we are also not keeping ourselves locked up in the house so I guess there are opportunities for the virus to find us as careful as we are.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ellie1145 said:

How amazing, azbirdmom. I would like to thank you both for taking part in the trial. It is a very brave thing to do, but unless we have people like you willing to progress the work of medical science then we would have no way out of this awful pandemic.

Will you ever know if you were in the vaccine group or the placebo group?

Keep safe, and keep well, and here’s a virtual hug. 🤗

Thank you!  We don't consider ourselves brave, just happy to be doing a small part to get us out of this mess.

When (if?) the vaccine is proven effective, we can ask to be unblinded and if we received the placebo, we will be allowed to get the actual vaccine and continue on in the study.

Sending a hug right back to you!  I like those better than virtual vacuum cleaners.  😁

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

Thank you!  We don't consider ourselves brave, just happy to be doing a small part to get us out of this mess.

When (if?) the vaccine is proven effective, we can ask to be unblinded and if we received the placebo, we will be allowed to get the actual vaccine and continue on in the study.

Sending a hug right back to you!  I like those better than virtual vacuum cleaners.  😁

Without people like you there would be no vaccinations. A vaccine without vaccinations is useless, so having people willing to take the risk of getting either the placebo or the vaccine is just as important as the scientists who produce the vaccine. So many thanks to you, and we hope you continue to stay healthy and safe. 

I am glad you will be able to know what you received and to be given the vaccine one way or another.

Thanks for the hug! In these horrid miserable days a hug is very much appreciated, even if it’s only virtual.

Maybe it’s time to put my virtual hoovers to bed.........🥴 

Edited by ellie1145
  • Haha 1