The Daily for Sunday Nov 1, 2020

richwmn

Interrupting this program with a question for those of you who live where recipes are recorded in grams:

Am I taring my scale and weighing out 625 Gm of milk and doing the same for 358 Gm of sugar, or is there a volume conversion involved?

I’ve found a promising recipe for gelato that seems to have the milk to cream ratio correct for Italian gelato (and not American ice cream with a fancy label attached), but I’m a bit confused.

For the past 20 years I have lived in a 55+  community and not once have I had a trick or treater. I really do miss seeing the children (even the big ones) in costume. This year our church didn't even have a trunk or treat event.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Interrupting this program with a question for those of you who live where recipes are recorded in grams:

Am I taring my scale and weighing out 625 Gm of milk and doing the same for 358 Gm of sugar, or is there a volume conversion involved?

I’ve found a promising recipe for gelato that seems to have the milk to cream ratio correct for Italian gelato (and not American ice cream with a fancy label attached), but I’m a bit confused.

I would have expected the milk to be measured in millilitres not grams because one is weight, sugar, and one is volume, milk. Non of my conversion apps convert between the two. I’ve never run into this. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

I use “convert units online” when I have to do this, but converting weight to volume is weird, as @superoma  pointed out above. I did a test & came up with approximately 612 milliliters.

If you were baking, I would be very concerned about the “approximate”, and would warn you that you might need to test several options. But you should be safe. Please let us know how it turns out!

Edited by cat shepard
  • Thanks 1

Another busy day in our household. It was strange to go to Church today on All Saints Day and not sing For all the Saints ....all 8 verses. This was a favourite of my sister's and always makes me misty, but brings a smile to my face as well.....especially as we work through verses 6, 7 and 8.

Thank you to everyone's efforts to keep this thread going.

Be well. Stay safe. Be kind. Wear a mask! 😷

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

I use “convert units online” when I have to do this, but converting weight to volume is weird, as @superoma  pointed out above. I did a test & came up with approximately 612 milliliters.

If you were baking, I would be very concerned about the “approximate”, and would warn you that you might need to test several options. But you should be safe. Please let us know how it turns out!

I actually did a test with my metric measuring cup and my scale. I used 300 ml of water and poured it into my scale dish and came up with 305 grams. So I agree, for the ice cream probably no conversion necessary. Baking I would look for ml measurements for liquids. Too bad we can’t help you by tasting the result @TiogaCruiser. I am sure it will be great.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Oh strange!  30 ml is about an ounce, if that is of Any help.  I too volunteer to taste test! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thank you all for your responses. I actually found 2 recipes in grams - one apparently from Australia. This is one of them:  https://www.thegelatolife.com/peanut-butter-gelato-with-choco-chunks/

In case anyone is interested the one I used was this one: https://www.motherearthnews.com/real-food/peanut-butter-gelato-recipe-zmrz1307zwar

I added 1tablespoon of corn syrup and 1 tablespoon of vodka. The other changes were whisking the peanut butter to the hot mixture before letting it cool, and finally adding crushed candied peanuts at packing time. The texture was great coming out of the machine and great an hour later when we had dessert. We’ll see how hard it gets when I check it tomorrow. (Used Kirkland peanut butter). Served it over a chocolate cake filled with peanut butter filling and topped with crushed peanuts. 

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, superoma said:

I would have expected the milk to be measured in millilitres not grams because one is weight, sugar, and one is volume, milk. Non of my conversion apps convert between the two. I’ve never run into this. 

So then, in your area you measure liquid in ML or L and dry ingredients by weight?

5 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

So then, in your area you measure liquid in ML or L and dry ingredients by weight?

Yes. I did look in my German baking books but those recipes don’t take a lot of liquid, usually measured in tablespoons. My favourite German cooking website Chefkoch.de does measure liquids in ml and dry in grams. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1