RC Visa points- advice for booking a cruise with them OR using them as a discount

Hello wonderful cruise people! I expect to hit 50,000 points by March or so on my Bank of America RC Visa card. I's be delighted to know what your expereinces have been with booking a cruise by using the points for cruise fare.

What type of cabin are you limited to-and are your stuck with a "guarantee" cabin?

How was the process -easy or a pain in the butt?

I am not sure why someone said that it's better to use the points as a discount, does this make sense?

And yes, I would be delighted to have people tell me alllll the details of their cruises so that I can keep dreaming of the cruises we have booked for 2021/2022.

103836166_10222169469281214_1206238404739694430_o.jpg

3 minutes ago, Florida Glamazon said:

Hello wonderful cruise people! I expect to hit 50,000 points by March or so on my Bank of America RC Visa card. I's be delighted to know what your expereinces have been with booking a cruise by using the points for cruise fare.

What type of cabin are you limited to-and are your stuck with a "guarantee" cabin?

How was the process -easy or a pain in the butt?

I am not sure why someone said that it's better to use the points as a discount, does this make sense?

And yes, I would be delighted to have people tell me alllll the details of their cruises so that I can keep dreaming of the cruises we have booked for 2021/2022.

103836166_10222169469281214_1206238404739694430_o.jpg

Easy process, use it for a prime date because 3 day cruises can be had for under $500 in many cases.

We've used it 2 or 3 times for 7 day trips.

Always in June for our anniversary 

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

Were you able to book your choice of a cabin location- and can you choose a balcony?

I'd hate to get a "guarantee" room because I'm a plan-a-holic.

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

Easy process, use it for a prime date because 3 day cruises can be had for under $500 in many cases.

We've used it 2 or 3 times for 7 day trips.

Always in June for our anniversary 

I've never seen where the "free" cruise is worth the value of the points. We always use our points to pay down the cost of a cruise and then use some points for OBC. This way we pick the cruise we want and the cabin we want and then use points so we use less "cash out of pocket" to pay for it.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

I've never seen where the "free" cruise is worth the value of the points. We always use our points to pay down the cost of a cruise and then use some points for OBC. This way we pick the cruise we want and the cabin we want and then use points so we use less "cash out of pocket" to pay for it.

Bummer, all of ours were substantial value. 

2 folks in an OV cabin in June is never under $1250 unless you find a GGG sale.  

Honestly you can score double the value as a free cabin.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cigar King said:

I have been able to get a little more value for the points by using them for the room instead of OBC.  I do usually try to save them until I can do a 7 day though.  YMMV.

Enjoy.

We don't use the card anymore, so my current balances are destined for a couple 4 day Mariners.

To bad you can't combine accounts

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 1

Anyone know what happens to points redeemed for OBC on a cruise that’s later cancelled?  Some of the points were due to expire. Would be nice if BoA extended the expiration date but I don’t see that happening. 

OP, I have used points in the past for free cruise, free companion fare and OBC.  Now I use a different card that offers better perks.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FloridaPalms said:

Anyone know what happens to points redeemed for OBC on a cruise that’s later cancelled?  Some of the points were due to expire. Would be nice if BoA extended the expiration date but I don’t see that happening.

I was told by CAS D+ desk that the previous (expiring) redeemed points are left under the original canceled reservation number. When you're ready to re-assign them, call to have them moved to your new reservation.  I recently moved two sets if redeemed points to two new reservations and they were applied within 1-2 days and now appear in my Cruise Planner.

I think I called the Redemption desk to have them moved.

Edited by long4acruise
Additional info
  • Like 2

I know you are at 50,000 points now. I personally  wait until I have 125000 points so I can get the free Caribbean cruise for 2. The value of these points can be up to $2500 off the cruise fare. In recent years, the cruise fare has been more than $2500, so I have been able to get the full value of the points. This gives me $2 a point as opposed to $1 a point when used as OBC or for just $ off the cruise fare.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ubiquitous Cruiser said:

Log into your BOA card and click on the View MyCruise points ... then scroll down to Redeem MyCruise points in the Rewards Sumaary section

Just curious, have they stopped them from expiring during all this?

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Thanks 1

We usually apply our points to an upcoming cruise as OBC. If we don't use them on board, RCI credits our card, which works fine for us. DH is afraid to "store" points for free cruises, thinking that, if RCI does away with the points system, he will lose his "free" money. Whatever works for you!

• Like 1