River Cruising Water Cooler

Host Jazzbeau

Fußball!!  🍻 Germany lost yesterday, a hard fight, tight result. Commiserations to Switzerland. How did England manage to win in penalty shootouts!? :classic_wink:

It is an odd summer - nothing to do with football - as it has been relatively cool this week. And the Rhine and Danube are still high.

I again will not be going to England during the summer. Things just do not work out sometimes. I am somewhat sad but I will be having a proper holiday away from work, just not be travelling far.

Have a good weekend what ever you are doing folks.

notamermaid

We arrived home from Norfolk and Suffolk just in time to watch the match and yes how on earth did they manage that. Five hour drive and some of the worst rain I have ever encountered driving. Hotels and food excellent but missed the rivers, maybe next year.

• Like 1

Never thought about that. Could be interesting. And that person would be rather busy, I mean if you wanted to go to all the ports in Europe yourself. I wonder how many there are? Cruisemapper has a very long list but has by no means covered them all. There are 45 on the Rhine alone according to the website, but I can already see two missing. It says they have overall 680 river ports listed, I cannot tell how many of those are in Europe.

Have not got much time, but if someone offered me a ton of cash I might do Germany and a few more places... One can but dream. I sooo need a holiday away from the mad crowds that are around me these days, I long for the quite days in a Northern England village pub. But first I need to do extra shifts at work, it is tourist season after all. And then I may head to a German village in the distant hills. Or if I get really desperate join the French in a lake resort in what they call Grand Est these days.

Incidentally, I have read about the renewed stronger thoughts of the Alsatians (the people, not the dogs) that they may be happier if they cut ties with Grand Est or Paris government altogether. My, could they afford it and not just because of all the river cruisers... It would be another chapter in the story of this region that started many centuries ago.

notamermaid

• Like 1

Got home from our ATP Travelmarvel cruise on Friday, and brought the lovely gift of covid home with me. Have felt pretty unwell with it.

Don't have a cough, so didn't even think about testing until I read something a couple of days ago about a summer variant doing the rounds which is very much like a bad cold/flu along with feeling sick.

Anyway, I know covid is here to stay, we have to live with it, etc etc. But just a warning that it is still around, and can still hit you hard. I'm on day 5 of living in my pyjamas!

5 hours ago, Ladyshopper23 said:

I'm on day 5 of living in my pyjamas!

Sorry to read that. I hope you can get back soon into garden boots, high heels or ballerinas, or whatever else means that you are walking around recovered. :classic_smile:

notamermaid

• Like 2

On 7/10/2024 at 6:52 AM, Ladyshopper23 said:

Got home from our ATP Travelmarvel cruise on Friday, and brought the lovely gift of covid home with me. Have felt pretty unwell with it.

Don't have a cough, so didn't even think about testing until I read something a couple of days ago about a summer variant doing the rounds which is very much like a bad cold/flu along with feeling sick.

Anyway, I know covid is here to stay, we have to live with it, etc etc. But just a warning that it is still around, and can still hit you hard. I'm on day 5 of living in my pyjamas!

Sorry to read this.  We picked up a cold bug on our Avalon Rhine cruise last month.  I started having symptoms the last couple of days of the cruise and noticed many others throughout the ship were coughing and sneezing also.  I tested when I came home and it was negative for COVID.  My wife didn't start having symptoms until two days after we were home and she also tested negative for COVID.

Cruise crud is alive and well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/13/2024 at 10:53 PM, UDChE89 said:

Guess I’m heading down on SEPTA.  Cassatt is one of my favorites.

Just went today. If you haven’t gone yet, it’s well worth the trip and the price of admission. Quite a few pieces from private collections. It’s presented with an interesting perspective. Our only mistake was not bringing our earphones. 

There is also an interesting, I believe temporarily, installation of chairs. The grands really enjoyed that. 

On 7/10/2024 at 5:28 PM, notamermaid said:

Sorry to read that. I hope you can get back soon into garden boots, high heels or ballerinas, or whatever else means that you are walking around recovered. :classic_smile:

notamermaid

I've got dressed in actual clothes today rather than pyjamas (don't worry, I've been showering every day and putting clean pjs on!) so that's a sure sign that I'm finally feeling a bit better. 😃

• Like 3

Thank you Germany for hosting the European Football championships. Good tv special people and according to DH great games. I’m a fan of my childhood team but sorry England same old same old. All of the fans were off the wall great across the countries keep it up regardless.

Life, work and the world have got the better of me. I hardly noticed that Spain won. So I am a bit quiet.

But

4 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Thank you Germany for hosting the European Football championships.

thanks for that.

notamermaid

10 hours ago, CPT Trips said:

Sunday was a good sporting day for Spain, Wimbledon too. 

I think it is most amazing how the smaller nation of the Czech Republic has has so many Wimbledon champions both men and women singles and in doubles. This year it was Barbora Krejčíková taking the singles crown and Kateřina Siniaková winnng with her American doubles partner Taylor Townsend. Last year it was two different Czech women, Markéta Vondroušová and Barbora Strýcová (with a Taiwanese partner), in the same position.

The football in Germany appears to have boosted interest in river cruises in that country: https://travelweekly.co.uk/news/cruise/euros-boost-germany-bookings-for-riviera-travel

I suppose it is not unexpected. I am not a fan of the Tour de France at all but I love the footage of the villages they cycle through. I have caught myself more than once looking up the name on the map and thinking that this would be a lovely place to visit.

notamermaid

• Like 1

So will the Paris Olympics boost river cruising? A different country, a different set-up (just one city as host) means - apart from the fact that it is modern-day Paris and I am unhappily biased for personal reasons - that I have my doubts. For reasons I cannot explain I am not drawn to the Seine as a whole but did enjoy my brief stay of 24 hours in Normandy. Honfleur is certainly a place I would go to. Personally I prefer the Picardie towards the coast and the Pas-de-Calais which have of course no really large river to sail on. The small ones and canals are sufficient though. And I must get to see the new canal project North of Compiègne.

notamermaid

image.thumb.jpeg.29ee0f4e4bd2b646ea8c0fc2dacb2e89.jpeg
Pont du Normandy straight on for the English Channel, turn left for Honfluer.

image.thumb.jpeg.e34ae3b95f44d8ec1d2833e695cb178a.jpeg

Getting ready to reverse into the inner harbour ahead is the historic Honfluer harbour. Just to whet your appetite. 

• Like 2