MS Maud questions

jonikal

We are planning a sailing on the MS Maud and have a couple of questions.  When did the ship undergo refurbishment and what was changed since the changeover from Midnatsol?  Are the cabins on Deck 6, which is the Promenade deck, much affected by people walking past the windows?

Also, any comments about the cuisine onboard would be appreciated. 

MS Maud, previously MS Midnatsol is not yet launched. Renovation of MS Midnatsol is planende for beginning of next year - she will be equipped with battery packs and other green technology before being renamed MS Maud.

MS Maud will be an expedition ship and not part of the Bergen to Kirkenes Coastel Voyage.

Following the renovations she will have a capacity of 530 guests, as well as a number of new amenities and onboard venues. All public areas will be redesigned in a relaxed Scandinavian style. All cabins and suites will be completely refurbished, and new suites will be added. The ships will receive a new, specially designed Expedition Launch to serve as a tender area where guests embark on excursions. Link to description

At MS Midnatsol it was possible to see through the windows into the cabins from the promenade deck - I do not know if that will change, but do not think so.  It is necessary to have the curtains drawn.  I've had a cabin on the promenade deck - it was conveniently quick to get out on the deck on my Northern Lights trips.

Hurtigruten Coastal Voyager is known for their good kitchen and fresh Nordic ingredients - expedition cruises get a more mixed reviews.  Since MS Maud will primarily sail expedition cruises along the Norwegian coast, I assume that the food will be similar to Coastal Voyager - expect many dishes down fish.

Many thanks for the info.  We assume that the Maud will continue to have the same configuration as far as the promenade deck cabins are concerned.  As regards the time-frame for completion of the

green technology upgrade and other improvements,  we hope they will complete them in time to be able to sail on the April dates for which they are taking bookings.

We are aware that things can get delayed and had that experience when the departure date for the first sailing of the MS Spitsbergen was delayed several times.  

6 hours ago, bones774 said:

The H web site describes the ship construction date and return date. also deck plans, ship is not that big so easy to read plans

The H site is still showing the MS Midnatsol and the info is the same as before.  Could you post the link where you found the MS Maud construction and return date? Many thanks.

1 hour ago, jonikal said:

where you found the MS Maud construction and return date? Many thanks.

I did include the link to MS Maud info in my post above - link to info
Promenade deck is till deck 6.
First scheduled cruise is March 16 from Dover.

Edited by hallasm

Thanks for the link.  However, I did not find where the following information came from:

Following the renovations she will have a capacity of 530 guests, as well as a number of new amenities and onboard venues. All public areas will be redesigned in a relaxed Scandinavian style. All cabins and suites will be completely refurbished, and new suites will be added. The ships will receive a new, specially designed Expedition Launch to serve as a tender area where guests embark on excursions. Link to description

Of particular interest is the reduction of guests from the 900's on the Midnatsol to 530 on the Maud.  This would indicate that there has been a change of cabin configurations since it mentions new suites will be added.  Hopefully H will be able to clarify this in order for passengers to be able to make cabin decisions when booking. 

Midnatsol has a total capacity of 970 passengers when samling at the Norwegian Coastal route - but only 632 beds/bunks  - less total number of cabins at Maud, hence less beds.

Actually the specifications for Maud is saying 532 beds.

When I booked a Maud cruise for 2021 my TA called them to ask a few questions about our potential cabin.  She was told they only have a "work book" deck plan at this point and that things may change.  So we are crossing fingers we made a good cabin choice but are going to keep an eye on things.

16 minutes ago, comcox said:

When I booked a Maud cruise for 2021 my TA called them to ask a few questions about our potential cabin.  She was told they only have a "work book" deck plan at this point and that things may change.  So we are crossing fingers we made a good cabin choice but are going to keep an eye on things.

Interesting.  When I booked yesterday for our 2021 sailing directly with H, the agent told me that the deck plan currently visible on their site is what the cabin layout will be.  As long-time and frequent customers of H, we've learned it's not unusual to get different info from different people.  

Whilst you can never be 100% certain, from all indications and published info the refurbishment of Midnatsol will not be structural and limited to "redecoration" prior to the renaming for mid-March. Original plans involved creating extra suites on the upper deck (9) of the Panorama Lounge and adjacent gym but these are no longer to be carried out.

Current passenger cabins on Deck 3 will be "removed" to make space for the tender store & boarding areas and additional crew cabins.

Otherwise I believe all the existing Midnatsol cabins will be the same size for Maud. However the numbers are changing so make sure you (or your TA) are looking at latest deck plans. Layout/facilities within cabins are less certain and probably more subject to change before/during refurb.

I'm quite familiar with Midnatsol & happy to try and answer any questions.

Fair Winds & Weather

Richard

1 hour ago, richws said:

Whilst you can never be 100% certain, from all indications and published info the refurbishment of Midnatsol will not be structural and limited to "redecoration" prior to the renaming for mid-March. Original plans involved creating extra suites on the upper deck (9) of the Panorama Lounge and adjacent gym but these are no longer to be carried out.

Current passenger cabins on Deck 3 will be "removed" to make space for the tender store & boarding areas and additional crew cabins.

Otherwise I believe all the existing Midnatsol cabins will be the same size for Maud. However the numbers are changing so make sure you (or your TA) are looking at latest deck plans. Layout/facilities within cabins are less certain and probably more subject to change before/during refurb.

I'm quite familiar with Midnatsol & happy to try and answer any questions.

Fair Winds & Weather

Richard

Many thanks, Richard.  You have provided more info than anyone at H and from online searches.  It will be interesting to see whether the mid-March renaming takes place.  Do you know what itinerary is scheduled for that sailing? 

56 minutes ago, jonikal said:

Many thanks, Richard.  You have provided more info than anyone at H and from online searches.  It will be interesting to see whether the mid-March renaming takes place.  Do you know what itinerary is scheduled for that sailing? 

Given the amount of advertising and printed Hurti Brochure specific to Maud Sailings from Dover I think it's very unlikely it won't happen. It would do serious damage to Hurtigruten's Brand image in UK, one of their biggest markets.

First 2 planned voyages are "Northern Lights and Fjords Expedition" dep 16th & 30th March; I'm booked on 30th departure. These are followed by 2 UK Cruises. Given current situation I'd hope that the planned refurb can be started early to ensure there are no delays affecting Maud's initial sailings

1 hour ago, richws said:

Given the amount of advertising and printed Hurti Brochure specific to Maud Sailings from Dover I think it's very unlikely it won't happen. It would do serious damage to Hurtigruten's Brand image in UK, one of their biggest markets.

First 2 planned voyages are "Northern Lights and Fjords Expedition" dep 16th & 30th March; I'm booked on 30th departure. These are followed by 2 UK Cruises. Given current situation I'd hope that the planned refurb can be started early to ensure there are no delays affecting Maud's initial sailings

Your comment re potentially serious damage to brand damage for the UK market -  reminds us of  being onboard the failed Northwest Passage of the Fram in 2018 along with a large contingent of UK solicitors.  There were several months of litigation but it was finally resolved in a fair manner.  Some of the reviews were scathing, as you might imagine.

Are your concerns in reference to Covid as possibly affecting the timing of the planned refurb?  The Maud is anchored offshore, near the MS Trollfjord in the vicinity of Bergen and doesn't seem to be near the Kleven Shipyard which has been used by Hurti in the past. 

What is your opinion re the UK Covid numbers and the likelihood they will dissipate sufficiently to allow for the multiple scheduled port stops for our UK sailing?  Obviously the event of a viable vaccine will play a significant role and hopefully it will have been made available to the public by then.  We hope your March sailing goes as planned and look forward to comments from you if you have time to report your opinion of the Maud's reincarnation.

15 minutes ago, jonikal said:

Are your concerns in reference to Covid as possibly affecting the timing of the planned refurb?  The Maud is anchored offshore, near the MS Trollfjord in the vicinity of Bergen and doesn't seem to be near the Kleven Shipyard which has been used by Hurti in the past. 

What is your opinion re the UK Covid numbers and the likelihood they will dissipate sufficiently to allow for the multiple scheduled port stops for our UK sailing?  Obviously the event of a viable vaccine will play a significant role and hopefully it will have been made available to the public by then.  We hope your March sailing goes as planned and look forward to comments from you if you have time to report your opinion of the Maud's reincarnation.

Re potential refurb delays: Believe planned start date was not until early January (As Midnatsol was scheduled on last Coastal Voyage dep Dec 28th). just a thought that given ship is not being used (& Hurtigruten refurbs etc have been delayed in past) that they potentially have additional time available.

RE COVID: have little faith in UK Gov Mgmt but a lot in UK Science & Medical Communities. Given current status re availability and approval stages (there are expectations of Medical and care staff being immunised during December) I think there's a decent chance of things being significantly better by April.

We were originally going to book the April 27th circle British isles cruise but our TA thought it would be better to go with the July sailing instead.  As Americans we have the added hurdle of being allowed into the U.K. before sailing and it's not clear when those restrictions will be lifted.

• 1 month later...

With the total lockdown now in effect in the UK, it seems highly unlikely that the Maud will be sailing out of Dover as soon as its Apr 14, 2021 departure.  Anyone know of an updated cancellation schedule?

21 minutes ago, jonikal said:

With the total lockdown now in effect in the UK, it seems highly unlikely that the Maud will be sailing out of Dover as soon as its Apr 14, 2021 departure.  Anyone know of an updated cancellation schedule?

Nothing showing on U.S. Hurtigruten website other than South America sailings cancelled for April.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone for all the updates and info re the conversion  to MS MAUD . 

We -2 couples -are not going on her until AUG 20th 2022 so hopefully the work will ALL be finished and any new teething problems will be sorted . 

I have looked but so far have failed to find a specific ROLL CALL for our trip so wondered if one has been started yet -if yes please can someone let me know ?

BW`s to All and Stay Safe and Well 

Mike 

48 minutes ago, MG.OCEANMAN said:

I have looked but so far have failed to find a specific ROLL CALL for our trip

Hurtigruten Roll Calls are in ‘All Other Ocean Cruise Lines Roll Calls’ - traditionally Hurtigruten guests with few exceptions have not been very active on CC and the few Roll Calls have quite a few participants.  
But you should create one - so far MS Maud Roll calls for April 13, May 25 and July 4.

On 11/27/2020 at 12:15 AM, hallasm said:

Hurtigruten Coastal Voyager is known for their good kitchen and fresh Nordic ingredients - expedition cruises get a more mixed reviews.

We were on Midnatsol a few years ago to Antarctica and found the food better than the coastal cruise on the Lofoten. But that could have been due to the size of the ships and # of passengers.

On 1/5/2021 at 10:07 AM, jonikal said:

" initial MS Maud sailings from Dover now cancelled (dep. 16th & 30th March). Also Otto Sverdrup from Hamburg (dep.9th & 23rd March).

https://www.hurtigruten.co.uk/practical-information/coronavirus-update/sailings-and-cancellations/

Yet another voyage with Hurtigruten cancelled 😞

10 hours ago, richws said:

" initial MS Maud sailings from Dover now cancelled (dep. 16th & 30th March). Also Otto Sverdrup from Hamburg (dep.9th & 23rd March).

https://www.hurtigruten.co.uk/practical-information/coronavirus-update/sailings-and-cancellations/

Yet another voyage with Hurtigruten cancelled 😞

Thanks for the heads-up.  From your link it appears that there is no cancellation as yet of Maud's April 14 sailing from Dover. We have resigned ourselves that it is unlikely to happen, especially given that the Covid news out of the UK seems to be gloomier by the day with a new strain of the virus causing more infections.  

13 hours ago, jonikal said:

Thanks for the heads-up.  From your link it appears that there is no cancellation as yet of Maud's April 14 sailing from Dover. We have resigned ourselves that it is unlikely to happen, especially given that the Covid news out of the UK seems to be gloomier by the day with a new strain of the virus causing more infections.  

I'm even beginning to doubt our July 4th departure.  We are having a terrible time getting vaccines done here in U.S. and our state is now the second worst of all of them.  We won't want to travel until we've had both doses as I justw on't feel comfortable until that's done.  That and there is a chance other cruise lines beside Saga will require all passengers have proof of vaccinations.

8 hours ago, comcox said:

I'm even beginning to doubt our July 4th departure.  We are having a terrible time getting vaccines done here in U.S. and our state is now the second worst of all of them.  We won't want to travel until we've had both doses as I justw on't feel comfortable until that's done.  That and there is a chance other cruise lines beside Saga will require all passengers have proof of vaccinations.

Completely agree about not wanting to travel before getting the vaccine.  Luckily due to volunteer work at a local hospital, I was able to get vaccinated, but my husband and elderly mother are still on the lottery wait list.  Now it is a question of getting enough of the vaccine to take care of those on the list.

The card they give you, at least for the Moderna vaccine, should suffice for travel purposes as proof of having had the vaccine. It provides the date of the two shots as well as the Lot number of the vaccine.