Shareholder OBC on a World Cruise

Geoffa30

Evening all you knowledgeable CC people 😀 Does anyone know how the shareholder OBC is allocated on a world cruise please? Is it it just the normal maximum amount in whichever currency is used onboard or is the voyage split into smaller segments with OBC allocated accordingly? Any information would be appreciated. Thank you. 

5 hours ago, Geoffa30 said:

Evening all you knowledgeable CC people 😀 Does anyone know how the shareholder OBC is allocated on a world cruise please? Is it it just the normal maximum amount in whichever currency is used onboard or is the voyage split into smaller segments with OBC allocated accordingly? Any information would be appreciated. Thank you. 

Consider the price and OBC for the WC booked as one cruise, compared with the cruise booked in segments. I booked in segments because I get a 'booking' OBC for each segment, plus shareholder credit ($250 per segment) plus loyalty credit ($100) for each segment. This all adds up.

BTW, if you are not familiar with the Princess loyalty on-board credit it is $25 for 20-30 cruises (I think those are the numbers), $50 for 31- 41 cruises, $75 for 42-51, $100 for 52+. I am not sure if the numbers are cruise credits rather than cruises. If you are working your way up the scale, booking in segments gives you additional cruises in your Captains Circle history.

Edited by Aus Traveller

28 minutes ago, Geoffa30 said:

Thanks for the response. Disappointed to hear it’s just 1 OBC for the entire voyage.

Only if you book it as one cruise. As others said above, book it all as individual segments and your would get it for each segment.

4 hours ago, caribill said:

Only if you book it as one cruise. As others said above, book it all as individual segments and your would get it for each segment.

OP: if you decide to look at segments vs. the whole enchilada...don't forget to factor in that you'll not get the included gratuities for segments (unless you book the package deal).

You can not use future cruise deposits on long cruises such as the world cruise.  I believe the cut-off is 45 or 46 days.  If booking as separate segments you could use a FCD for each. With separate segments you could choose to book port intensive segments without the added package where you may not use the beverage package as much. 

Either way, you can carry forward your account segment to segment until the end of the cruise so that credits can be used to pay expenses occurred at any time. 

If you move to a new loyalty level such as elite, it takes effect at the start of the next segment regardless of how the voyage was booked. 

1 hour ago, Waynetor said:

You can not use future cruise deposits on long cruises such as the world cruise.  I believe the cut-off is 45 or 46 days.  If booking as separate segments you could use a FCD for each. With separate segments you could choose to book port intensive segments without the added package where you may not use the beverage package as much. 

Either way, you can carry forward your account segment to segment until the end of the cruise so that credits can be used to pay expenses occurred at any time. 

If you move to a new loyalty level such as elite, it takes effect at the start of the next segment regardless of how the voyage was booked. 

This is true.  Further scrutiny reveals that, if you have signed up for an FCD to use on a non-world cruise, within the specified cruise length....then, if you are going on a world cruise, you will receive a 3% discount on your fare in lieu of any FCD.

The OP needs to make their enquiries and do their sums on whether booking the WC as one entity or as segments works out better.

I would usually have assumed that booking as one cruise would be better, but this is not necessarily so. In 2013 we went on a cruise around South America. As we were making the booking, the consultant casually mentioned that Princess was also booking that cruise in segments. I asked for a price comparison. We saved $600 by booking in segments and at that time we didn't own Carnival shares and we didn't get much loyalty credit so these were not part of the saving. We selected a cabin that we could have for the three segments and marked the booking 'no upgrade'.

3 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

The OP needs to make their enquiries and do their sums on whether booking the WC as one entity or as segments works out better.

I would usually have assumed that booking as one cruise would be better, but this is not necessarily so. In 2013 we went on a cruise around South America. As we were making the booking, the consultant casually mentioned that Princess was also booking that cruise in segments. I asked for a price comparison. We saved $600 by booking in segments and at that time we didn't own Carnival shares and we didn't get much loyalty credit so these were not part of the saving. We selected a cabin that we could have for the three segments and marked the booking 'no upgrade'.

Loyalty credit is given each segment no matter how the cruise was booked.